Movie What's the last movie you saw? (7)

Remove this Banner Ad

Ministry of Ungentlemanly Warfare - Prime

Enjoyed this . Maybe 20 minutes too long but otherwise a fairly standard romp in the vein of Kellys Heroes and The Dirty Dozen etc

Mostly dark humour with dark content this strayed into the John Wick territory of bullets missing the good guys

High actioner

Kramer vs Kramer over Apocalypse Now
Ordinary People over The Elephant Man
Driving Miss Daisy over Dead Poets Society
Crash over Brokeback Mountain
Birdman over The Great Budapest Hotel
The Shape of Water over 3 Biilboards

The Oscars are overrated. There's some great movies there. I don't judge them by the industry insiders' rankings in a particular year.

Bad Boys 4: Ride or Die... pretty much what you expect, an entertaining enough action movie in the Bad Boys style, with long, slow pans of Miami beaches and skyline, absurd shootouts in highly public places, some bromance and banter, and then the Bad Boys against the world.

Starts with a silly narrative conceit, Martin Lawrence having a heart attack (another way to keep him out of the serious action given he has not stayed in shape like Will Smith has) and having a near death experience that the film takes far too seriously and runs with for too long. Once you get past that, it's a simple conspiracy about drug dealers trying to frame their former captain for corruption, crooked cops, Smith and Lawrence on the run. The supporting cast from Bad Boys 3 return to help out, Rhea Seehorn is completely wasted in an unnecessary side plot, and then it all culminates in a very Michael Bay-esque shootout.

6/10 but in a good way, a watchable action movie to kill two hours.
Good articulate summary of the movie, I dont have any much more to add other than its a movie where you genuinely need to have watched the previous Bad Boys movies to have understood and enjoyed it

Its definitely not a stand alone movie.

I gave it a 5.5/10

Trivia - Michael Bay makes a cameo and is the Porsche driver when there is a shootout on the road. (IIRC he is driving the iconic Porsche from the original movie)

Last edited:
The Ministry of Ungentlemanly Warfareā€¦ Guy Ritchie film very loosely based on a WWII unit that changed the war with an off-the-books mission. Itā€™s watchable and has the hallmarks of a Ritchie film but the dialogue lacks the usual spark. Thereā€™s also very little narrative tension, it never feels like the heroes are anything less than awesome and got everything in hand. The best part is the chemistry between the cast. 6.5/10
Watched this last night. Felt quite boring. Ritchie films feel like Tarantino lite to me.

[
Could split it in two watches, we do that a bit now
As a general rule, I try to watch a movie in one sitting, with that said, each one's lifestyle, patience, commitments, stamina etc is different and unique.

I havent however been able to watch Zack Snyder's Justice League without spreading it over two nights. :think:

The irony being I have watched a couple of times The Dark Knight Trilogy in one sitting. :oops:

Deadpool and Wolverine (2024)

There were some good moments. Reynolds and Jackman work well together. Matthew MacFayden was fun. I liked the evil bald woman character. Plenty of good action.

But the plot was a bit dodgy and I'm over all the Marvel alternate timelines stuff. There's a lack of jeopardy for the characters as they can step from one reality to another. Or many different versions of the same character. What happened to the 50 or so alternative Deadpools?

The writers tried hard with even more meta jokes, references, and breaking the fourth wall but it's not fresh any more.

6/10

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hundreds of Beavers- just donā€™t. I was expecting it to be a bit shit but some zero budget fun on the basis of the excellent Rotten Tomatoes reviews, but it was just incredibly dumb. I would say it was targeted at 3 year olds but it was a little violent and sexual. Completely infantile. I lasted 15 minutes and that was a struggle. 0/10.

Maxxxine - probably the lightest in tone of the X trilogy but still plenty of that bloody Ti West style. The plot doesn't fully hang together and Mia Goth doesnt get to do quite as much, but overall a fun time 7/10

Hundreds of Beavers- just donā€™t. I was expecting it to be a bit shit but some zero budget fun on the basis of the excellent Rotten Tomatoes reviews, but it was just incredibly dumb. I would say it was targeted at 3 year olds but it was a little violent and sexual. Completely infantile. I lasted 15 minutes and that was a struggle. 0/10.
Would have thought a movie called Hundreds of Beavers had a target audience older than 3, tbh.

Talladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby

Somehow never got around to watching this all those years ago. Itā€™s exactly as stupid as youā€™d expect, as long as youā€™re ok with that, itā€™s a decent enough flick. Got one of the best lines in it as well - ā€œI wake up in the morning and I piss excellenceā€

6.5/10

Burnt

Been struggling to find a streaming service that shows this. Ended up watching a version on YouTube that certainly wasnā€™t HD.

The premise is fantastic and some of the shots very good. However itā€™s about 30-60 mins too short. Doesnā€™t go into the back story well enough and the pacing just feels wrong throughout. Very poor character development as well.

Just all felt rushed. Bit disappointed, really couldā€™ve been a lot better.

5.5/10

A Quiet Place: Day One (2024)

It was a much better movie than I expected it to be. The film gave much insight into the human condition in times of serious danger. Still, it told us nothing about why these creatures are on Earth and how they got here (Spaceships? Meteorites?). The aliens seemed more like wild animals than an intelligent species who could fly a spaceship (If that is how they came??). The only new information we got about the aliens is they can't swim. Lupito Nyong'o did a decent job as the main protagonist. The best character, though, was probably the cat. The action sequences were OK, but the jump scares were a bit lame. 5/10 (Average)

Last edited:
Prometheus (2012)

I definitely appreciated this better second time round. It's an Alien movie - so you have to have accept that some corporation or narcissist individual is going to spend billions to send a bunch of idiots to find a weapon or a cure for cancer on a distant planet.

Once you get past that - there's a good story, it all looks amazing, great action, the acting is top notch particularly Fassbender.

7/10.

Prometheus (2012)

I definitely appreciated this better second time round. It's an Alien movie - so you have to have accept that some corporation or narcissist individual is going to spend billions to send a bunch of idiots to find a weapon or a cure for cancer on a distant planet.

Once you get past that - there's a good story, it all looks amazing, great action, the acting is top notch particularly Fassbender.

7/10.
Big biased fan of the Alien franchise here. I loved it, especially when it came out and at the time of my life back in 2012.

You will enjoy Alien Covenant, if you liked Prometheus, which is the sequel.

If you are only watching Prometheus now, you probably didnt know about this viral video "scene" for the movie. It raises a point Ive made previously, I wish there was a version of the movie that included all these missing scenes. Incidentally Ive only just come across an extended version of Prometheus, that for the life of me, I cant work out why I never knew about it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Movie What's the last movie you saw? (7)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back