Movie What's the last movie you saw? (7)

Remove this Banner Ad

Even dances, I don’t think many people have rewatched that movie, it is loooooooong and honestly very, very dull.

I love Dances With Wolves and have rewatched it a couple of times. It's got some great scenes. John Dunbar, Stands with a Fist and Kicking Bird are intriguing characters. But thanks for bringing it up. I was watching the credits roll for Horizon and one of the actors is called Tatanka. It was bugging me all day where I had heard that word before until you mentioned Dances.

Dances with Wolves is a movie that’s so beautiful in every shot that it almost desensitises the audience, so no one shot really stands out. But Horizons has no shortage of beautiful scenery, but the cinematography is really nothing to write home about. Whatever the criticism of the first approach, I’d take that any day over the latter.

Even dances, I don’t think many people have rewatched that movie, it is loooooooong and honestly very, very dull.
I remember when it came out there was a bit of a thing with people watching it multiple times at the cinema.

In a long line of Oscar travesties, this beating Goodfellas for best film/director is easily the worst
I think how green was my valley beating citizen Kane and Shakespeare in love over saving private Ryan are sliiiiiightly worse but they’re all pretty ****ed

In a long line of Oscar travesties, this beating Goodfellas for best film/director is easily the worst
I liked DwW at the time however Goodfellas did deserve the award. I reckon though that this injustice has caused an undeserved backlash against Costner's flick, taking it from being somewhat overrated at the time, to dreadfully underrated now.

But in terms of films he has directed (I'm yet to see HORIZONS) his best by far is OPEN RANGE.

haven't seen it for a long time but have seen both the original release and directors cut more than once each

I liked DwW at the time however Goodfellas did deserve the award. I reckon though that this injustice has caused an undeserved backlash against Costner's flick, taking it from being somewhat overrated at the time, to dreadfully underrated now.

But in terms of films he has directed (I'm yet to see HORIZONS) his best by far is OPEN RANGE.
Dances isn’t underrated at all imo.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Honest Thief… another in the production line of Liam Neeson action/thrillers since Taken. I find Neeson’s late career fascinating, he delivers straight-to-video quality productions annually, usually for around $20m or so, they get a cinema release though, and make $30-40m, meaning they usually turn a profit when all is said and done. So they green light another one. This one stars straight to video stars like Robert Patrick, Jeffrey Donovan and Jai Courtney. Neeson is a bank robber who tries to come clean but things awry when a corrupt cop tries to claim the stolen cash. Cue Neeson out for revenge. Slower paced than Taken, it’s all efficiently put together while offering nothing new. 5/10 but didn’t hate it.

Vice… I was intrigued by the disparity between its critical score and award nominations. Stacked cast (Bale, Adams, Carrell, Rockwell, Plemons) in a satirical biopic of Dick Cheney. It says upfront it’s based on a true story in as much as it can be given he was very secretive. Bale is excellent showing his amoral pursuit of power, it’s funny at times, though some of the narrative conceits get a little annoying. Hints at a more complex person at times but ultimately plays him as a villain. 7/10

I think how green was my valley beating citizen Kane and Shakespeare in love over saving private Ryan are sliiiiiightly worse but they’re all pretty ****ed
Kramer vs Kramer over Apocalypse Now
Ordinary People over The Elephant Man
Driving Miss Daisy over Dead Poets Society
Crash over Brokeback Mountain
Birdman over The Great Budapest Hotel
The Shape of Water over 3 Biilboards

It’s just one of those iconic movies that wasn’t really on my radar. Second one ticked off the list.
I've got quite a few of those myself

Like Titanic

Remove this Banner Ad

Movie What's the last movie you saw? (7)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back