Movie What's the last movie you saw? (7)

Remove this Banner Ad

Le Samouraï (1967) - saw this at the cinema, a rerelease for a new 4K restoration. It follows a hitman in Paris who kills his target in the back office of a club, is witnessed by the pianist who then covers for him by the suspicious police, and is also targeted by the crew who hired him. It features one of the great suspense chase scenes, as he jumps around the Paris Metro trying to evade the police tail. The director, Jean-Pierre Melville, made some of the great crime thrillers of the 1960s before suddenly dying at the peak of his powers in 1973, and is reminiscent of someone like Michael Mann but decades earlier. I love Army of Shadows but this is one of his best.

Music - not the Sia movie considered one of the worst of all time, but a borderline indecipherable retelling of Orpheus. Long long shots can test the patience (there was a walkout in my cinema - five minutes before the movie ended! Dude, you’d made it!!) but are exquisite to immerse yourself into. I see enough movies to appreciate something out of left field like this.

Le Samouraï (1967) - saw this at the cinema, a rerelease for a new 4K restoration. It follows a hitman in Paris who kills his target in the back office of a club, is witnessed by the pianist who then covers for him by the suspicious police, and is also targeted by the crew who hired him. It features one of the great suspense chase scenes, as he jumps around the Paris Metro trying to evade the police tail. The director, Jean-Pierre Melville, made some of the great crime thrillers of the 1960s before suddenly dying at the peak of his powers in 1973, and is reminiscent of someone like Michael Mann but decades earlier. I love Army of Shadows but this is one of his best.
It is indeed a great film, but I tend to find that THE RED CIRCLE sticks with me more. But it is splitting hairs, both are majestic (as is ARMY OF SHADOWS).

It is indeed a great film, but I tend to find that THE RED CIRCLE sticks with me more. But it is splitting hairs, both are majestic (as is ARMY OF SHADOWS).

I did adore The Red Circle but it’s been almost 20 years since I saw it. I should definitely catch back up with it in the next couple of weeks - it was the first Melville I saw but I’m more familiar with him now.

I'll look for that one.

You might like Diva (1981). In Paris, a young opera-loving mailman, Jules, becomes inadvertently entangled in murder, when a woman fleeing two mobsters drops an incriminating cassette into his mailbag. Jules finds himself the target of the hit men, who want the voice recording, and also of another couple of ominous and mysterious agents.

The Bikeriders

Enjoyable performances, decent storyline.

Discussion earlier about true movie stars dying, I think Austin Butler has that potential.
Thought it was pretty boring myself.

Comer was good, Hardy and Butler were alright with the bland roles given.

Butler does have a lot of potential though - could see him having a Brad Pitt type career.

Watched this at cinema too and also had recently watched French Connection, felt like the chase scene in French Connection had borrowed heavily from this.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thought it was pretty boring myself.

Comer was good, Hardy and Butler were alright with the bland roles given.

Butler does have a lot of potential though - could see him having a Brad Pitt type career.
I thought it was entertaining enough and I thought Hardy was almost as good as Comer. Butler had less to work with. A real character study of some of the leads would have been more interesting but it was a study of bikie gangs and what fueled them. I thought it did that acceptably.

Back in the early 80s Channel 9 used to screen movies from midnight to dawn, every night of the week (instead of home shopping rubbish). It was the early days of VHS and I had a recorder that would tape at half-speed, so a 4 hour tape would capture it all.

It was a cornucopia of cinema - 30s Warner Bros gangster flicks, Hammer horrors, 60s euro spy movies, Ealing dramas, TV movies and genuine oddities. Such as The Birthday Party (1968).

Ever since seeing this as a kid back then I have been obsessed with this Harold Pinter adaptation in which Robert Shaw (later from JAWS) stars as a bloke residing at a rundown beachside boarding house, run by a rather dim woman (Dandy Nichols) and her husband. He spends his waking hours mocking her and existing in self-loathing. One day, two gentlemen (Sidney Tafler and Patrick Magee) turn up to rent the spare rooms. It seems that they know Shaw's character and are not there to be friends.

Directed by the great William Friedkin before he went on to THE EXORCIST and THE FRENCH CONNECTION, this is a masterful - and among the best - Pinter adaptations. If you get the cadence of his dialogue and its elusive nature you'll love it. Others may hate it. 9/10

One of the midnight dawn movies was The Swimmer with Burt Lancaster

An empty movie about an empty man setting himself the challenge of swimming in each pool to get to his home

I could never work out if it was about conspicuous consumption , machismo or goal setting but it was weird

Criminal

Treated myself to a rare midweek movie. What a cast this has: Kevin Costner, Ryan Reynolds, Gal Gadot, Gary Oldman, Tommy Lee Jones.

Interesting concept, I didn't mind Costner as the gruff criminal.

Wasn't as good as it could've been but not a bad 2 hours all the same.

6.5/10

One of the midnight dawn movies was The Swimmer with Burt Lancaster

An empty movie about an empty man setting himself the challenge of swimming in each pool to get to his home

I could never work out if it was about conspicuous consumption , machismo or goal setting but it was weird

A great film, and also love the short story by John Cheever. I think it really captures the postwar ennui of a lot of the comfortable middle class of the 1960s, similar to Mad Men decades later.

A great film, and also love the short story by John Cheever. I think it really captures the postwar ennui of a lot of the comfortable middle class of the 1960s, similar to Mad Men decades later.
Agreed.

Each year on my birthday I subject the wife and daughter to a movie marathon of my choosing. Last year the daughter's dimwitted boyfriend was along for the ride. THE SWIMMER was one of the selections. My daughter, although tik-tok addled, has seen enough of these over the years to get the notion of subtext but the boy couldn't handle it. "But what was it about? Bro was just swimming in pools and getting depressed. You can't make a movie like that!"

She's not with him anymore. I hope that had something to do with it.

The Bikeriders (2023)

The general basis of the plot was good - some mates got together to form a motorbike club, that grew into something out of control. Austin Butler did a good job as a brooding James Dean type character. Tom Hardy is charismatic but almost playing the same role as in Peaky Blinders. Jodie Comer's performance was inconsistent - sometimes very convincing as the wife who takes second place to her husband's desires, then other times jarringly bad with her fake accent and over-expression.

It all felt a bit flat and forgettable compared to other motorbike movies. The Wild One is pretty cheesy but you get Marlon Brando and Lee Marvin. Mickey Rourke is so cool in Rumblefish.

5/10

The Bikeriders (2023)

The general basis of the plot was good - some mates got together to form a motorbike club, that grew into something out of control. Austin Butler did a good job as a brooding James Dean type character. Tom Hardy is charismatic but almost playing the same role as in Peaky Blinders. Jodie Comer's performance was inconsistent - sometimes very convincing as the wife who takes second place to her husband's desires, then other times jarringly bad with her fake accent and over-expression.

It all felt a bit flat and forgettable compared to other motorbike movies. The Wild One is pretty cheesy but you get Marlon Brando and Lee Marvin. Mickey Rourke is so cool in Rumblefish.

5/10
I won’t bother with it but how was Damon Herriman? I reckon that guy’s a national treasure

Remove this Banner Ad

Movie What's the last movie you saw? (7)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back