Movie What's the last movie you saw? (7)

Remove this Banner Ad

watched 'escape room'

some tense moments in some of the rooms but a sorta poopy ending with other bits telegraphed earlier. there's the obligatory stuff that has to run its course for a movie like this like touching on all their all very different backgrounds and personalities, conflict etc etc.

the main problem for me, and this is the same in general for movies: danger happening, actors scared for their lives. not in immediate danger but still danger present - all good. they're in a series of escape rooms that have killed people, sitting on ledges above a 15 floor drop like it's just another day.

also seen 'smile'

some good moments. totally on board with the way people can perceive suffering of others and their issues. less interesting was the whole curse thing which pushed the movie into more generic territory and could have been left out altogether. the figuring out and dawning on the sort of lineage nature of what was happening i quite liked. idiot cop failed to put the pieces together at a couple of important times of course.
what's probably the most interesting part, is that there was no happy message or course of action or hope tacked on. also done by way of the standard issue ineffective therapist.

The Fall Guy (2024)

It's a real mixture - there's some good stuff and some really cringe-worthy scenes. Gosling is good, mostly playing it straight. Emily Blunt trying to do comedy was just irritating. Hannah Waddington was fun. There's a lot of meta - movie within a movie stuff, insider jokes and movie references that get pretty tiresome. The stunts were spectacular but the neither the rom-com or murder mystery aspects of the plot worked.

4/10

Watched this after the footy tonight

images

Pretty much a niche comedy, if you loved The Naked Gun Trilogy and Leslie Nielsen slapstick comedies, you will likely enjoy it, otherwise best give it a pass.

I really enjoyed it for what it was, a switch your brain off and analytical thinking to the back burner, it's dumb, corny and very derative, but also very witty, memorable and a good way to waste 85 minutes

But as I say, it all depends whether you enjoyed the Naked Gun movies or not.

7/10

watched this one

apparently a remake of another movie 'the boy behind the door' which i had never seen.

odd film, part thriller, part farce. seems the best way to describe it, a kind of grown up 'home alone' where a 9 and 11 year old outsmart their kidnappers but there's less slapstick and more cat and mouse hiding. you could play it slightly faster, black and white, and imagine buster keaton running around hiding instead of performing stunts. especially with 'the shining' door spoof thrown in.

that the movie has no dialogue is apparently one of its selling points. quite like the concept but it borders on unnatural.
that doesn't make the movie silent either. quite a few industrial background things happening, ala eraserhead, bad boy bubby.

final point that stuck with me is it either samples this song directly, or samples the same thing the song does, that sharp violin sound. found it jarring being familiar with the album. will make me put that album on in the car now though.

Stand by Me

Have a pretty good life except for Hinkley still coaching Port, but currently in the coming of age era mood of movies. Especially 80's, 90's. Miss the childhood and lesser of globalisation and technology.

Good movie. Next up The Sandalot

Horizon: The American Saga

Bit disappointed with this film so far. Struggling to get through it and it's 3 hrs too.

Last edited:
A rare outing last night

Twisters

Twister is one of the missus's favourites (so it Top Gun for the record, Glen Powell has really cornered the market here for sequels to her favourite movies)

It's alright

It's some good fun and thrills and I think it succeeded in doing 'things', those things you walk out of a money repeating like silly gestures or quotes, but it definitely pales in comparison to the original I reckon, and I reckon that's mostly due to the practical vs CG effects. Also the plot is at times a little silly and delves in to pseudoscience, and on that there's some heavy exposition dumps about the science of tornadoes that sometimes feels a little out of nowhere.

There's some stuff I did like though, I did like, MINOR SPOILER ALERT I AIN'T USING THE THING, but it doesn't fully commit to the leads being romantic, which is nice. No need to shoehorn in a romance to every film. Mr. Powel is just like, so hot right now, and the rest of the cast is all pretty decent too I guess.

6.5/10

phantom13 will be pleased to know I am all in on the summer of Glen Powell after this weekend.

Watched Anyone But You with the wife on the weekend. It's a throwback rom com that doesn't reinvent the wheel but does everything just right to be an enjoyable film. The chemistry is there, the banter is amusing, the supporting cast are fun enough (though there's no breakout side character like in a lot of these films). Sure, it gets a little silly at times but it holds the line well. I must say, I don't really get the Sydney Sweeney love, though I do get the Powell love...he's definitely got genuine 'movie star' potential. 7/10

Followed this up with Twisters with my son. Solid action/disaster movie aimed at a more adult audience. Offers up enough thrills without going too stupid just for the sake of action. Daisy Edgar-Jones is good in the lead. Powell's character starts off a little silly before settling down, though could have been fleshed out a bit more. 7/10 though could add an extra half a point for seeing it on the biggest noisiest screen I could.

Last edited:
phantom13 will be pleased to know I am all in on the summer of Glenn Powell after this weekend.

Watched Anyone But You with the wife on the weekend. It's a throwback rom com that doesn't reinvent the wheel but does everything just right to be an enjoyable film. The chemistry is there, the banter is amusing, the supporting cast are fun enough (though there's no breakout side character like in a lot of these films). Sure, it gets a little silly at times but it holds the line well. I must say, I don't really get the Sydney Sweeney love, though I do get the Powell love...he's definitely got genuine 'movie star' potential. 7/10

Followed this up with Twisters with my son. Solid action/disaster movie aimed at a more adult audience. Offers up enough thrills without going too stupid just for the sake of action. Daisy Edgar-Jones is good in the lead. Powell's character starts off a little silly before settling down, though could have been fleshed out a bit more. 7/10 though could add an extra half a point for seeing it on the biggest noisiest screen I could.
Have you seen Everybody Wants Some? Best Powell movie I've seen (admittedly not too many). But it's a really underrated, or maybe rather, under watched, movie.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

phantom13 will be pleased to know I am all in on the summer of Glenn Powell after this weekend.

Have you seen Everybody Wants Some? Best Powell movie I've seen (admittedly not too many). But it's a really underrated, or maybe rather, under watched, movie.
My boy Glenny going from strength to strength

Glen Powell has worked on his smug arseh*le schtick. He tried it in Expendables 3 but it didn't work at all. Now he's really good at it.

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk

Does anyone make use of the Plex service?

back in the late 80s - early 2000s I made a few bucks in selling banned films on VHS through a mail order catalogue (and markets etc). In any case, one of the films it took me a while to get was the (then) notorious HOUSE ON THE EDGE OF THE PARK. From my UK supplier I had to get him to record football at the beginning of the tape and then put the film on. He also had to label it "Liverpool vs. Manchester City" (or whatever) so customs would let it through.

Below is a typical customs job regarding BASE-MOI (that I ended up arguing with Neil Mitchell on 3AW about)

In any case, on Plex right now there is a channel under their horror section called "Watch It Scream". What does it play? HOUSE ON THE EDGE OF THE PARK. That's it, that's all. For a month at least on loop. 24/7.

All that trouble I once went to and here it is, 24 hours a day...

Attachments

• CUSTOMS BASIE MOI.png
    CUSTOMS BASIE MOI.png
    80.6 KB · Views: 18

i've thought about using plex to back up some stuff on a server rather rely on my physical copies or hd/ssd. had a portable drive bite the big one, it was devastating.

incidentally, pretty sure i watched baise-moi (maybe irreversable, forgot the title but remember some explicit scenes) on stan about 6-7 years ago. that along with other stuff like story of o. amazing how times change.

Last edited:

back in the late 80s - early 2000s I made a few bucks in selling banned films on VHS through a mail order catalogue (and markets etc). In any case, one of the films it took me a while to get was the (then) notorious HOUSE ON THE EDGE OF THE PARK. From my UK supplier I had to get him to record football at the beginning of the tape and then put the film on. He also had to label it "Liverpool vs. Manchester City" (or whatever) so customs would let it through.

Below is a typical customs job regarding BASE-MOI (that I ended up arguing with Neil Mitchell on 3AW about)

In any case, on Plex right now there is a channel under their horror section called "Watch It Scream". What does it play? HOUSE ON THE EDGE OF THE PARK. That's it, that's all. For a month at least on loop. 24/7.

Yeah my mate uses it and he has added me to his server. Can put pretty much anything on there. It's so damn good.

Monkey Man

Really good, always enjoy seedy action/crime thrillers done outside of the western settings (this is set in India, filmed in Indonesia). Dev is fantastic as the lead and uses his natural athleticism and physicality for the action sequences. Overall it’s probably 20 minutes longer than it needs to be but I can forgive that.

Just started Hot Fuzz again for the first time in a few years (got the Cornetto Trilogy on 4K today)

Definitely my favourite of the 'loose' Trilogy, Pegg, Frost and Wright at the top of their game..

I watched Shaun of the Dead again earlier today, but I just think it's probably a bit overrated and Hot Fuzz really underrated.

I.miss the golden age of Simon Pegg movies, many of his recent movies really suck (including JJ Abram's Star Trek's)

Just started Hot Fuzz again for the first time in a few years (got the Cornetto Trilogy on 4K today)

Definitely my favourite of the 'loose' Trilogy, Pegg, Frost and Wright at the top of their game..

I watched Shaun of the Dead again earlier today, but I just think it's probably a bit overrated and Hot Fuzz really underrated.

I.miss the golden age of Simon Pegg movies, many of his recent movies really suck (including JJ Abram's Star Trek's)
Hot Fuzz is amazing.

"cos he's **** ugly!

Remove this Banner Ad

Movie What's the last movie you saw? (7)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back