Movie What's the last movie you saw? (7)

Remove this Banner Ad

Twisters

Feck that was great, bloody loved it. It's got nothing to do with the original but it was still very enjoyable to watch. I thought Daisy Edgar Jones did a wonderful job of...I don't wanna spoil it for ya so click here at your PERIL a wonderful job of portraying the happy go lucky twister chaser and then the sad gal version after her friends died.

Glen Powell in a white tshirt in the rain, ya can't bloody go wrong.

The dude who played Boone reminded me heaps of one of my ex boyfriends...if you've seen Twisters, feel free to judge me.

Saw Longlegs last night (having never watched a trailer for it, so that's a point for my ability to avoid trailers). Pretty good, creepy rather than scary really, at points I was feeling distinctly uncomfortable at times, in the ways that it was specifically trying to get me to feel uncomfortable. Predictable enough but stuck the knife in in the right way. 8.5/10.

Previously saw I Saw the TV Glow. Going to go with perfect on this one. Beautiful cinematography, a wonderful script, excellent acting throughout and a heartfelt depiction of the trans experience. Favourite film of the last decade. 10/10.

Deadpool & Wolverine… does what it sets out to do very effectively. The film gets the most out of putting these two together, from the banter to fight scenes. There’s plenty of cameos that are not only fun but hint at a bit of respect for what’s come before (something that is continued in the credits). Yeah, the main threat is a maguffin (as is pointed out in the film) and the multiverse itself still feels less low stakes but there was some genuine tension and release in the climax regardless. It does an ok job of getting the audience up to speed but one for the fans primarily. 7.5/10

The Illusionist

Finally got around to watching this. Had been told it was in the same vicinity as The Prestige. I can see the link but in my opinion, it's not as good.

Saw the twist coming a mile out unfortunately. Do think it was very well acted and an enjoyable 2 hrs.

One of the big differences I noticed, The Prestige shows how the tricks were done - the Illusionist never did (obviously because it's impossible).

7.5/10

Deadpool & Wolverine

Good, clean entertainment for the whole family :p Lots of fun, pretty funny all of the way through, maybe goes a little too long but not by much. Liked the cameos from some the earlier Marvel movies, including pre-MCU ones. Felt a lot less tired and by the numbers than most of the post-Endgame MCU stuff that I've seen, and it certainly wasn't shy about taking a few jabs at the sad state that the MCU finds itself in these days.

I wouldn't expect this to change the overall trajectory of the MCU which still very much has the stench of death hanging over it, but it in its own right it's a fun movie.

Deadpool & Wolverine

Good, clean entertainment for the whole family :p Lots of fun, pretty funny all of the way through, maybe goes a little too long but not by much. Liked the cameos from some the earlier Marvel movies, including pre-MCU ones. Felt a lot less tired and by the numbers than most of the post-Endgame MCU stuff that I've seen, and it certainly wasn't shy about taking a few jabs at the sad state that the MCU finds itself in these days.

I wouldn't expect this to change the overall trajectory of the MCU which still very much has the stench of death hanging over it, but it in its own right it's a fun movie.
I enjoyed it and rated it well enough but also recognise that it will age poorly in some ways. Deadpool 1 is a solid origin movie that can largely be watched in isolation, Deadpool & Wolverine makes a fair effort to bring you up to speed on things but ultimately needs to be watched in the context of the X-Men universe (Logan, in particular), Marvel in general and phase 4 in particular. It's not really a movie anyone can just pop on and enjoy on its own.

Jason and the Argonauts (1963)

A revisit of a childhood favourite.

I have an academic history in Cinema Studies and could, if I desired, find ways to criticise this film. But it is such a work of stunning wonder that has me still suspending all sense of disbelief. Due, entirely, to the breathtaking work of SFX artist extraordinaire, Ray Harryhausen 10/10

MaXXXine (2024)

Mia Goth is a superstar. If Tarantino was still making movies he would be casting her in everything.

Ti West does a fine job directing this horror murder mystery that has 1980s nostalgia and some commentary on Hollywood and the industry. It gets a bit messy towards the end but it's a fun watch.

6/10

Saturday Night and I watched a 4K version of The Good, The Bad & The Ugly, it's an all-time favourite of mine which I have seen dozens of times, but this was the first time I watched the remastered 4K version and all I can say is WOW!!

I have watched a number of films in 4K previously, but all but one of them has been a post-1990 film, and while the improvement in the picture quality is noticeable and great for the more modern films, it is nothing compared to the older films. I watched the 4K version of Hitchcock's Rear Window (another all-time favourite) a few months ago and I was blown away with the picture quality, suddenly there was depth to the picture so it felt like you were actually in the room with James Stewart and Grace Kelly, and who wouldn't want to be alone in a room with Grace Kelly. ;)

When watching TGTB&TU a lot of people have issues with the picture quality and the audio syncing, well most of that has now be resolved, there will always be issues with some of the audio syncing because a number of the supporting actors spoke in their native language, but there are no issues with the picture, it is so sharp, so clean and again there is so much depth that it feels like you are there. It's almost like watching the film for the first time again, you notice so much that wasn't always obvious with the softer versions of the films, it was such a amazing and surprising movie experience.

Twenty Bucks 2013 (Steve Buscemi, Too many to mention)

I think this was a contractual obligation movie as there were too many stars and cameos to mention. Family guy did an homage to this movie with the same concept and I think the original movie may have been done before.

Funny movie with some hillarious moments.

7/10

(Log in to remove this ad.)

sbs on demand

aussie jaws but different ending. some interesting appearances including ray/alf stewart.
feels like it fumbles the indigenous superstition side of things, does have an obvious sympathy for the treatment of aborigines as well, and a few white fellas are portrayed as the dropkicks they were in the 80's. memorable scene of a child crunched in a crocodiles jaws.

Mahjong (1996) - the penultimate film of Edward Yang and falling in between his magnum opuses (can a man have two?) A Brighter Summer Day and Yi-Yi, this is often overlooked and might be his least well regarded film (in a filmography of nothing but well regarded films), but I found it a real joy. It's a plot summary that sounds complicated - a billionaire disappears owing millions to organised crime, who plot to kidnap his son and hold him to ransom. The son is the head of a street crime gang, whose newest member Lun-lun is more moral than his compatriots. So when Marthe, a French girl, comes to Taipei to see her British boyfriend only to find he now has a Taiwanese girlfriend, the group take her in with a plan to pimp her out, and Lun-lun, as the English interpreter, falls for her. It's a testament to the film that it is so easy to follow with its different plot points and keeps you invested in them all. Yang frequently explored crime, but here I felt the effects of Tarantino and the post-Pulp Fiction film world. Yang always perfectly captured Taiwan in its moment, and this might be the most unabashedly romantic of his films.

Tótem - Mexican film, shown from the perspective of a young girl as she and her family gather for the birthday party of her father, who is extremely ill from cancer. It's a chaotic preparation and party, and there are some legitimate laughs in what sounds like a gloomy tragedy. It reminded me of Aftersun in some ways, in the way it almost seems the last memories one has with someone long lost, though I don't think it was as effective as Aftersun in just tearing your heart out (not necessarily a criticism - Aftersun did that as good as anything could). It's a bit of a muted film in that way, but still all in all very good.

Monster (Kaibutsu) 2023. Japanese with subtitles.

The concept is interesting - to tell a story from three different perspectives of incidents around a 5th grade boy, his mother, and his teacher. It drags at the start and leans too much towards unrealistic for the sake of mystery but it comes together nicely at the end.

6/10

Madame Web (2024) (Disney+)

I went in knowing it had received terrible reviews but I was expecting to at least get the typical formula for a superhero movie. What I got was a disjointed movie, from the dialogue to the plot and everything in between. The movie does have a somewhat mediocre fight sequence in the last 15 minutes. By the end, I discovered the terrible reviews were justified. It made me wonder if Sony had any intelligent people supervising scripts because how they let this one through is beyond me. 3/10

Leave the World Behind - Julia Roberts, Ethan Hawke

4/10 - great concept, terrible execution and the ending sucked. I could write a huge spiel on why I despised the movie but I won't.

All I'll say is there are too many unanswered questions, I felt like it would have suited a mini series. Whole cast was trash except Hawke. So disappointed.

Attachments

• 1723206913722.png
    1723206913722.png
    19.1 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Movie What's the last movie you saw? (7)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back