Movie What's the last movie you saw? (7)

Remove this Banner Ad

Shaun and Hot Fuzz are both great
This is the correct take. Will rewatch Hot Fuzz soon but always had Shaun marginally ahead. The rewatch confirmed what a great film it is.

Dont really like either of them TBH.
This is the most wrong take ;)

nobody ever mentions The World's End and that's totally fine
It’s actually pretty damn good, just the bar had been set high and I reckon audiences were thrown by the reversal of Pegg’s character. They weren’t prepared for him not to be the loveable geek.

This is the correct take. Will rewatch Hot Fuzz soon but always had Shaun marginally ahead. The rewatch confirmed what a great film it is.

This is the most wrong take ;)

It’s actually pretty damn good, just the bar had been set high and I reckon audiences were thrown by the reversal of Pegg’s character. They weren’t prepared for him not to be the loveable geek.
its not at the level of the other two

they're pretty much on par as examples of satire in the genre

both movies lost it a bit in last act, another horror I watched recently was the same, Cuckoo. I think thats a common issue with horror movies lately, come up with a cool idea but they dont have any idea how to wrap the film up so theres too much focus on a neat twist or call back to things mentioned in pasting earlier in the movie.
Compare that to Barbarian or Dont Breathe that just keep escalating, theyre much more satisfying films from start to finish.
I said the same thing about Late Night when I posted about it here, they both lose a little steam at the end.

Still enjoyed both, saw them at the cinema where it's easier for me to enjoy the sound design and music, if I was watching at home I probably would have ended up posting on bigfooty through the last act lol.

I totally lost interest in Worlds End when the aliens came in to it.

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk
Although SHAUN is probably the better executed film, I tend to enjoy HOT FUZZ more for its smart take on the cosy British mystery genre and its plethora of cameos (and a fine Timothy Dalton villain).

WORLD'S END is just off-key from the beginning. Pegg never convinces and much of the cast appear tired and wanting to be elsewhere (as much as their characters). And when the aliens rock up, in the words of the eminent film critic Danny Frawley, "Yeah, nah..."

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Beekeeper... this was dire. Perhaps the most derivative John Wick knock-off to come out of the pipeline. Jason Staham is a beekeper, literally and as code for an unofficial group tasked with keeping the world (hive) safe. Only a few people have heard of them in order to be scared of them (like Wick's Boogeyman). After a bunch of tech bros scam his old neighbour of all her money, leading her to kill herself (standing in for Wick's dog), Statham starts tracking down everyone and killing them. Weirdly structured, cheap looking, the villains are non-threatening, the bee puns are stupid, the only appeal is in watching how the endless supply of bad guys get dispatched.

There's some real talent being wasted here, including David Ayer as director, Jeremy Irons, Minnie Driver and Phylicia Rashad. It smacks of 90s era Van Damme, Segal straight to DVD fare but inexplicably, this was not only released in cinemas but made $140m off a $40m budget, so I guess we await the Beekeeper 2. 3/10 for the fight scenes only.

JackOutback have you seen The Bricklayer?
No, I watched the preview frame and thought this ain't for me. Only watched Beekeeper cause wife was asleep, knew she wouldn't miss it and thought it must be bare minimum OK for an action film to get a cinema release.

So we are in the era of just naming movies after jobs? Reminds me of when I was a kid and the WWF would just base their wrestlers after professions. This guy's an evil dentist, this one's an evil plumber, this one's a good guy racing car driver.

Lazenby is way way worse. Dalton was handy in Penny Dreadful and great as the villain in the Rocketeer.

I only got half an hour into On Her Majesty's Secret Service before I binned it. In that time I saw Tracy (Diana Rigg) try to drown herself for no good reason, a continuity error where a ship on the horizon disappears, the Aston Martin screeching around on sand, two different times Draco's henchmen try to kill Bond when Draco just wanted to talk to him about his daughter, three ridiculous fight scenes, a very jarring cut into a montage of Tracy and Bond forming a relationship.

With all that nonsense happening Lazenby's lack of charisma didn't stand out!

I only got half an hour into On Her Majesty's Secret Service before I binned it. In that time I saw Tracy (Diana Rigg) try to drown herself for no good reason, a continuity error where a ship on the horizon disappears, the Aston Martin screeching around on sand, two different times Draco's henchmen try to kill Bond when Draco just wanted to talk to him about his daughter, three ridiculous fight scenes, a very jarring cut into a montage of Tracy and Bond forming a relationship.

With all that nonsense happening Lazenby's lack of charisma didn't stand out!
Yeah Licence to Kill and The Living Daylights were the duck's nuts.

Remove this Banner Ad

Movie What's the last movie you saw? (7)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back