Movie What's the last movie you saw? (7)

Remove this Banner Ad

Never quite understand the argument that aliens make some people tune out of World’s End but zombies in Shaun is perfectly fine. I quite liked the story of trying to recapture lost youth and middle age malaise as the natural extension to Shaun.

I mean Shaun has zombies from the outset.

World's End starts with an interesting premise then switched gears.

That's the difference.

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk

Kenneth Williams: Fantabulosa! (2006)

Michael Sheen as the "Carry On" star. Sheen doesn't bear a facial resemblance to the actor, but my god, the voice, facial gesticulations and mannerisms are uncannily accurate. Part of a BBC series on British comedians that was criticised for focusing overly on their dark side, this installment was quite an accurate depiction of Williams' life, phobias, career and sadness. Well worth a look for those who remember the 'Carry On' films or for those who wish to see how an actor can transform so completely into a character.

It had great potential, didn't it? Two great actors and an intriguing premise but it just sorta drifted along....
The last half of the movie was terrible ..literally lost the plot.

That's funny, was just googling today if there has been an Aussie Bond.

They'll probably get Hugh Hackman to do it

Sent from my SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app
Alllllll the rumours are Aaron Taylor Johnson is the next man up.

Aussie Bond. Right now probably Jacob Elordi, touch too young though.
Haven't seen any comments on "blink twice" anyone seen it?

Sent from my SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app
Nah, keen too but with the family situation we can’t ever get out to the flicks. As soon as it’s streaming I’ll be there.

Kenneth Williams: Fantabulosa! (2006)

Michael Sheen as the "Carry On" star. Sheen doesn't bear a facial resemblance to the actor, but my god, the voice, facial gesticulations and mannerisms are uncannily accurate. Part of a BBC series on British comedians that was criticised for focusing overly on their dark side, this installment was quite an accurate depiction of Williams' life, phobias, career and sadness. Well worth a look for those who remember the 'Carry On' films or for those who wish to see how an actor can transform so completely into a character.
Platform? BritBox or?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Trap (2024)

A Dad takes his annoying teenage daughter "oh my god, oh my god, oh my god" to a concert where the FBI have been tipped off that a serial killer is attending. You don't need to guess who the serial killer is because they tell you in the first 10 minutes.

The first half is boring. It's mostly M. Night Shyamalan trying to showcase his daughter's generic pop music interspersed with implausible plot points. The second half gets even more implausible by way of contrivances and illogicalities. Saleka Shyamalan's 'acting' is embarrassingly bad. There's no tension in the entire movie. The characters all have ridiculous dialogue. Hayley Mills is supposedly a profiler who unrealistically runs large FBI operations but really exists just to provide Basil exposition by radio communication. There's multiple endings that get ever more stupid.

It would have to be one of the worst films I've ever watched all the way through.

2/10

Trap (2024)

A Dad takes his annoying teenage daughter "oh my god, oh my god, oh my god" to a concert where the FBI have been tipped off that a serial killer is attending. You don't need to guess who the serial killer is because they tell you in the first 10 minutes.

The first half is boring. It's mostly M. Night Shyamalan trying to showcase his daughter's generic pop music interspersed with implausible plot points. The second half gets even more implausible by way of contrivances and illogicalities. Saleka Shyamalan's 'acting' is embarrassingly bad. There's no tension in the entire movie. The characters all have ridiculous dialogue. Hayley Mills is supposedly a profiler who unrealistically runs large FBI operations but really exists just to provide Basil exposition by radio communication. There's multiple endings that get ever more stupid.

It would have to be one of the worst films I've ever watched all the way through.

2/10

there was debate in our house over seeing this in the cinema. lukewarm (or worse) takes such as this seemed to save our butts. i look forward to ignoring this on some platform later too. i guessed the serial killer in about 10 seconds of trailer.
not that whodunit is the point of the film. but... it looks like something that would annoy me a lot.

Trap (2024)

2/10
So it is about catching a father?

So, a “parent trap” of sorts?

I was wondering why Hayley Mills was in it.

Rebel Ridge… dropped without much fanfare but Netflix sitting on a bit of an action gem here. Has a modern Western vibe as Terry rides (literally) into a small Southern town only to run afoul if some corrupt cops. As a black man, there’s an immediate tension that is drawn out and the banality of their corruption is what makes it evil. This isn’t some John Wick knock-off, even though Terry is ex military and pushed over the edge. It’s a slow burn, with the stakes gradually raised. Good performances and really well directed. 8/10

The Dark Knight Rises… finished the trilogy with the boy. Another solid blockbuster superhero movie, Bale playing Batman as the ageing hero against the younger, stronger Bane. Slightly more muddled themes than the previous two but always well acted, well directed, great action, Anne Hathaway looking as hot as she ever has. Good to have a self contained trilogy with a conclusion. 8/10

Rebel Ridge… dropped without much fanfare but Netflix sitting on a bit of an action gem here. Has a modern Western vibe as Terry rides (literally) into a small Southern town only to run afoul if some corrupt cops. As a black man, there’s an immediate tension that is drawn out and the banality of their corruption is what makes it evil. This isn’t some John Wick knock-off, even though Terry is ex military and pushed over the edge. It’s a slow burn, with the stakes gradually raised. Good performances and really well directed. 8/10
Rambo?

Spotted some movie vouchers in a drawer and decided to go see

Beetlejuice 2

First off cocaine is a hell of a drug

I havent seen the original in a year starting with a 2 and I have some feelgood memories of it. Michael Keaton pinging off the walls , Winona in her Goth phase and the rest of the cast doing a fine job

But oh boy it falls flat. Keaton is creaky and going through the motions and Winona is grown up and still gothy and Catherine OHara was way way over the top in her performance. It was set at Halloween when she brought the Xmas ham.

Jenna Ortega channeling Jenna Ortega was ok but even she was flat in her delivery

Its not a terrible movie but it didnt bring many chuckles to me. Maybe Im the jaded one but there were also few chuckles in the 30 or so people in there

The Deus Ex Machina was blehh and if I never hear that recipe song agaiiiin oh noooo it will be a good thing

I sat there wondering ( thats the level of attention it gave me ) if it could be watched as a standalone movie and I'm unsure. Maybe. Because it wasnt that great it may need those customers who want a completion arc.

No grade from me

One person missing was Jeffery Jones and I googled after and found out why. If I was a writer I would have chosen a prison death

Definitely had Rambo vibes, I was expecting a lot more as it was a slow burn that didnt really ever take off IMO and had some predictable moments and characters. Enjoyed seeing Don Johnson as the corrupt Chief. I was expecting to see a lot more carnage and violence.

Its worth the watch, but not a movie you could watch over and over again.

6/10

Snack Shack - Set in the summer of 91 about two industrious 14-year-olds that are hustling to make cash - whether it's on the race track, making home-brew beers - that eventually take ownership of the local pool's 'snack shack'. Starts at a breakneck speed, watching these two friends go from hustle to hustle until the girl next door gets between them. The third act slows right down, and some decisions feel unearned, but the chemistry between the three leads are terrific all the way through. 7/10

Didi - Sean Wang's semi-autobiographical story about growing up as teenager in the late noughts as a second generation immigrant. Two things it gets absolutely right - how you can sometime absolutely suck as a kid. Make the wrong decisions and never make-up for them. And two, the era of the internet/social media being a thing that you had to sit down for at night, and wasn't the always online thing it is now. Swap AOL for MSN and I could definitely relate to a lot of the social interactions. 8/10

Remove this Banner Ad

Movie What's the last movie you saw? (7)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back