Movie What's the last movie you saw? (7)

Remove this Banner Ad

Dawn of the Dead 2004 - Zac Snyder

An ok entry into the zombie genre - fairly standard tropes

Zombie Neighbour then into mall hiding place , arseh*le people , going into midnight run to escape

At 100 mins its a good length and doesnt strain the brain cells overly

Spotted some movie vouchers in a drawer and decided to go see

Beetlejuice 2

First off cocaine is a hell of a drug

I havent seen the original in a year starting with a 2 and I have some feelgood memories of it. Michael Keaton pinging off the walls , Winona in her Goth phase and the rest of the cast doing a fine job

But oh boy it falls flat. Keaton is creaky and going through the motions and Winona is grown up and still gothy and Catherine OHara was way way over the top in her performance. It was set at Halloween when she brought the Xmas ham.

Jenna Ortega channeling Jenna Ortega was ok but even she was flat in her delivery

Its not a terrible movie but it didnt bring many chuckles to me. Maybe Im the jaded one but there were also few chuckles in the 30 or so people in there

The Deus Ex Machina was blehh and if I never hear that recipe song agaiiiin oh noooo it will be a good thing

I sat there wondering ( thats the level of attention it gave me ) if it could be watched as a standalone movie and I'm unsure. Maybe. Because it wasnt that great it may need those customers who want a completion arc.

No grade from me

One person missing was Jeffery Jones and I googled after and found out why. If I was a writer I would have chosen a prison death
Beetlejuice 1988

This one had some connective tissue of a story that the 2024 version doesnt have with the couple who originally owned the house dying

Man I loved Geena back in the day

Its head and shoulders above 2024

Ok, I'm going to preface this review by saying that I've decided to do a watch through of individual actors complete movie catalogues. There's a few caveats, they need to be rated at least 5 on IMDB and have more than 10,000 votes but otherwise, I'm trying to watch each movie.

I started with Kevin Costner and am working my way through, selecting his movies at random. I've seen some good ones I otherwise wouldn't have watched but, well, you can read last night's movie review below.

The Upside of Anger

What a steaming pile of shit this is. I just do not understand why absolutely anyone thought this was a good idea for a movie. Complete waste of absolutely everyone's time, from the writer to the actors to me for watching it.

And then the moronic twist at the end. They talk up how this husband has run away to Sweden with his secretary all movie and then it turns out he's just been dead on the property the whole time. Presumably fell into the hole they found him in. Utterly moronic.

Having watched this, I can tell you unequivocally that there's no upside to anger.

3/10

X-Men… watched the original 2000 film with my son. This film kind of ushered in the new generation of serious superhero movies. It’s still got a good story, the themes atill hold up today (or in any day, really), good heart to it by hanging the story on Wolverine and Rogue, action is a little ropey by modern standards. 7/10

Beetlejuice
Rewatched it before seeing the new one

You absolutely forget what Alex Baldwin looked like when young

Beetlejuice Beetlejuice
Mostly enjoyable sequel, weird musical number near the end

They made Beetlejuice less disgusting and not so much the villian was less dark

Catherine O'Hara is always good though

Beetlejuice
Rewatched it before seeing the new one

You absolutely forget what Alex Baldwin looked like when young

Beetlejuice Beetlejuice
Mostly enjoyable sequel, weird musical number near the end

They made Beetlejuice less disgusting and not so much the villian was less dark

Catherine O'Hara is always good though

Same, rewatched Beetlejuice. Decent cast generally, but omg Michael Keaton was so fantastic in that role - leapt off the screen.

Also skim-watched a couple of reactions to the movie on YT ... everyone says "Why is it spelt Betelgeuse, differently to the name of the movie?" - I'd imagine in the script he was named Betelgeuse (after the star), but they thought the public could never pronounce it, right? Same kind of thing happened with word-of-mouth with Shawshank back in the day, according to Morgan Freeman.

Kinds of Kindness (2024)

The usual delightful weirdness by Yorgos Lanthimos. Three loosely linked stories with a theme of control of people by others.

The casting of Plemons, Stone, Dafoe was perfect and they all delivered with their performances. The cinematography and score were excellent.

At 2 hours 45 it drags a little. I much preferred Poor Things.

6/10

Terrifier 2

I watched this because I liked the first one and wanted to see where they went with this one, even though I had heard that it's extremely gory.

It started off well but then it became totally unrealistic at which stage the gore just became slapstick. It also went on way too long.

5/10

The Da Vinci Code

Two poor movies in two nights. Have plenty of regrets.

Tried this about a decade ago, thought I'd give it another crack. Still found it incredibly boring, really got nothing out of it. Had planned on watching the sequels but I've kicked that idea to the curb.

4/10

Ok, I'm going to preface this review by saying that I've decided to do a watch through of individual actors complete movie catalogues. There's a few caveats, they need to be rated at least 5 on IMDB and have more than 10,000 votes but otherwise, I'm trying to watch each movie.

I started with Kevin Costner and am working my way through, selecting his movies at random. I've seen some good ones I otherwise wouldn't have watched but, well, you can read last night's movie review below.

The Upside of Anger

What a steaming pile of shit this is. I just do not understand why absolutely anyone thought this was a good idea for a movie. Complete waste of absolutely everyone's time, from the writer to the actors to me for watching it.

And then the moronic twist at the end. They talk up how this husband has run away to Sweden with his secretary all movie and then it turns out he's just been dead on the property the whole time. Presumably fell into the hole they found him in. Utterly moronic.

Having watched this, I can tell you unequivocally that there's no upside to anger.

3/10
Oooooft.

Kev has some gems but he also has ALOT of proper turds in that catalogue.

This would be fascinating and i salute you but i do not envy you at all.

The Upside of Anger

3/10
Are you watching the Big Chill?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oooooft.

Kev has some gems but he also has ALOT of proper turds in that catalogue.

This would be fascinating and i salute you but i do not envy you at all.
You won't hear me disagree with that sentiment.

Ones I've enjoyed so far (that I hadn't seen): JFK (brilliant), Field of Dreams, The Guardian

Ones that were ok: Criminal, The Highwaymen, Molly's Game

Ones that made me cry: Rumour Has It, The Upside of Anger

I'd seen others previously so not including them in this run (all the Superman/Snyder ones, The Untouchables, Draft Day, The Bodyguard).

This is the urban legend stretch of all time
It is not publicly known why Kevin Costner's character, Alex, was cut from The Big Chill. The character was supposed to appear in flashbacks. However, Alex appeared only as a corpse with a few seconds of screen time.
Answer: when that film is The Big Chill. Released 40 years ago this year, this comedy-drama directed by Star Wars fixture Lawrence Kasdan sees eight friends brought together by the death of a college classmate, Alex (played by Kevin Costner until his performance was entirely cut from the film).23 May 2023

Ones I've enjoyed so far (that I hadn't seen): JFK (brilliant), Field of Dreams, The Guardian

I'd seen others previously so not including them in this run (all the Superman/Snyder ones, The Untouchables, Draft Day, The Bodyguard).
I was thinking of the thread Movies You Will Never See and I think Kevin is one of those actors for me in the last 15? years

Cant remember the last Costner one

I loved Field of Dreams and Bull Durham and Untouchables and JFK (pre-2000) - did not recall him in Mollys Game

Have not watched Waterworld, Draft Day , Bodyguard

I REALLY like the Guardian, big big fan, i reckon if Kutcher is recast with someone... better its probably a well regarded movie.

I also ride hard for For Love of the Game, its absolutely bonkers as a rom...com? But as a baseball/sports/life story i think its brilliant and Kev crushes it.
Yep, sure am. Have read he's not really in it? But still looked worth watching.
Hes not not really in it, hes not in it at all.
It is not publicly known why Kevin Costner's character, Alex, was cut from The Big Chill. The character was supposed to appear in flashbacks. However, Alex appeared only as a corpse with a few seconds of screen time.
Answer: when that film is The Big Chill. Released 40 years ago this year, this comedy-drama directed by Star Wars fixture Lawrence Kasdan sees eight friends brought together by the death of a college classmate, Alex (played by Kevin Costner until his performance was entirely cut from the film).23 May 2023
Rumour was he was a raging dickhead to work with for a long long time and Kasdan was jack of his "actooooooor" bullshit and knew the film could work without him.

Is rumour has it the Graduate rip off thing? Ive never actually seen it but the plot is absolutely ****ing insane.

I was thinking of the thread Movies You Will Never See and I think Kevin is one of those actors for me in the last 15? years

Cant remember the last Costner one

I loved Field of Dreams and Bull Durham and Untouchables and JFK (pre-2000) - did not recall him in Mollys Game

Have not watched Waterworld, Draft Day , Bodyguard
I'm torn on him. I love quite a lot of his stuff but it does feel like he should've said no to a lot of projects he did.

I'm torn on him. I love quite a lot of his stuff but it does feel like he should've said no to a lot of projects he did.
Alot of his worst stuff also wasnt stuff he just said yes to. Waterworld and The Postman were passion projects he either got going, wrote, directed or (for Horizon which seems to be okay but bombing) fronted the cash for.

Hes a real oddball it seems.

I REALLY like the Guardian, big big fan, i reckon if Kutcher is recast with someone... better its probably a well regarded movie.

I also ride hard for For Love of the Game, its absolutely bonkers as a rom...com? But as a baseball/sports/life story i think its brilliant and Kev crushes it.
Yeah I think The Guardian is really underrated. Considering I'd never even heard of it, I found it far more enjoyable than I was expecting.

That's the perfect movie for why I'm doing what I'm doing. Finding these hidden gems I'd never watch otherwise.

Looking forward to For Love of the Game, seems right up my alley.

Is rumour has it the Graduate rip off thing? Ive never actually seen it but the plot is absolutely ****ing insane.
Yep haha. I hadn't seen/heard of the Graduate before going in but as I researched the movie, I could believe what they were doing haha. Utterly bizarre.

I'm wanting to watch Beetlejuice ahead of potentially watching the sequel on Wednesday but it does not appear to be on any of the streamers I have, which is frustrating. Barely remember any of it, but may just watch the sequel anyway.
I watched it the other day? Ill see if I can find it

STAN

Remove this Banner Ad

Movie What's the last movie you saw? (7)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back