Movie What's the last movie you saw? (7)

Remove this Banner Ad

Yep, neither of which I have. I need to check the TV apps, 7Plus, 9Now etc, they always have movies that are available on streamers at the same time, but they don't come up in a search through my TV channel, they usually just look through Netflix, Prime, Disney, Binge etc.
Honestly get the JustWatch app. It’s pretty accurate which platform a film is on. You can also use AppleTv to rent for 5$ worst case scenario.

Surely a pal or family member can let you borrow for a night?

Trigger Warning (2024) + Beekeeper (2024)

Similar movies, premise and faults. Although I always like a good action flick that doesn't require too much thought. The whole scamming premise in Beekeeper was topical so was interesting seeing it represented in fiction. The effects are patchy and the B grade actors are always entertaining for muddled delivery.
Alba is pretty solid while Statham is pretty standard for him.

I give them each a 5/10 because not bad, not good, but can kill a couple of hours with reasonable entertainment.

You won't hear me disagree with that sentiment.

Ones I've enjoyed so far (that I hadn't seen): JFK (brilliant), Field of Dreams, The Guardian

Ones that were ok: Criminal, The Highwaymen, Molly's Game

Ones that made me cry: Rumour Has It, The Upside of Anger

I'd seen others previously so not including them in this run (all the Superman/Snyder ones, The Untouchables, Draft Day, The Bodyguard).
Of the ones you haven't mentioned I am quite fond of No Way Out, A Perfect World, Thirteen Days and Open Range (one of the best westerns in decades).

Just checked the TV stations, not on there. I have Prime, which will rent it to me for $5. I'm just a tight-arse, I grew up with video stores, a 40-year-old film would be in the $1 weekly shelves :tearsofjoy:
I want to show a friend Animal House and they said just pay for it

Nuh uh uh no - I can outlast Prime

Trigger Warning (2024) + Beekeeper (2024)

Similar movies, premise and faults. Although I always like a good action flick that doesn't require too much thought. The whole scamming premise in Beekeeper was topical so was interesting seeing it represented in fiction. The effects are patchy and the B grade actors are always entertaining for muddled delivery.
Alba is pretty solid while Statham is pretty standard for him.

I give them each a 5/10 because not bad, not good, but can kill a couple of hours with reasonable entertainment.
Following on from the scamming idea - Thelma is meant to be a good watch on this subject

Beetlejuice Beetlejuice

That was heaps of fun! Justin Theroux was great. I really enjoyed it. The original was one of my 3 movies on high rotation when I was a kid and I think the sequel did a great job of keeping the original spirit (teehee) of it.

Dad and I were the only ones in the cinema 🤔

Beetlejuice Beetlejuice

That was heaps of fun! Justin Theroux was great. I really enjoyed it. The original was one of my 3 movies on high rotation when I was a kid and I think the sequel did a great job of keeping the original spirit (teehee) of it.

Dad and I were the only ones in the cinema 🤔
we went to an 8:30 friday night session and it was maybe a quarter full, maybe

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That’s sad
it is AFL finals
the movies were pretty quiet in general

we saw a lot of people coming out of the sports bar after the movie finished

It’s made $140 million globally against a $100m budget in its first weekend. It’s not struggling. To be honest, I’m surprised it’s been doing so well, seemed more like a cult hit. I’ll be seeing it tomorrow.
they are hoping the cult status of the original translates into box office for the sequel

its really about what they projected

they don't give a shit about reviews or anything its just board room balance sheets against projections

they are hoping the cult status of the original translates into box office for the sequel

its really about what they projected

they don't give a shit about reviews or anything its just board room balance sheets against projections
Sure, but if I was betting on box office success, Beetlejuice wouldn’t have been my first pick. Top Gun? Yeah. If the new Beverly Hills Cop had gone to cinemas, reckon that would have gone well. But Beetlejuice? I would have guessed modest hit, not blockbuster. Guess that’s why they get paid the big bucks.

Sure, but if I was betting on box office success, Beetlejuice wouldn’t have been my first pick. Top Gun? Yeah. If the new Beverly Hills Cop had gone to cinemas, reckon that would have gone well. But Beetlejuice? I would have guessed modest hit, not blockbuster. Guess that’s why they get paid the big bucks.
dont forget a couple of things because this is hollywood after all

#1 Tim Burton has had big box office success with Batman
#2 Wednesday and Jenna Ortega
#3 Eddie Murphy has had multiple fails recently

Coming to America 2 was bad
Beverly Hills Cop 4 was good

but a lot of people seem happy to take the $$ from streaming and not deal with the box office

maybe that is where Eddie is

can get the money on streaming over cinema release, maybe they outbid for the new Beverley hills cop

i guess my point was more

you get people together that have had success recently with a nostalgia cult movie sequel

that seems like exactly what hollywood is doing currently

have watched a lot of films lately because of MIFF and catching up on a few new horror movies with my horror movie buddy.

firstly MIFF films
The good -
Substance - amazing, such a good time at the movies if you love body horror and euro style gross out humour. Great turn by Demi Moore and the less you know about this before seeing it the better
Teaches of Peaches - really made me sad I wasnt able to get tickets to her last gig here in 2022, shes still a great live performer and it was a good trip down memory lane of hitting the clubs in my early 20s

THe ok -
Cuckoo Dan Stevens was awesome in this and theres some good set pieces but overall a bit underwhelming

The really really really bad
Megalopolis - was expecting this to be "such a train wreck its entertaining" but it was just too long and tedious to even enjoy in that regard. How did Adam Driver agree to this? **** me its bad, and its so confused with it themes. Save your time and skip this but google "Jon Voight boner scene" for the best (unintentional) laugh in the movie

Onto the Horror movies
as mentioned above was a bit underwhelmed with Longlegs was also really disappointed with MaXXXine, such a let down considering how good X and Pearl are. Almost feel like the first two movies getting such a cult following was to the detriment of this movie as there were some really bad celebrity castings in this that take away from the vibe that the first two films had.
Not sure how I feel about Alien Romulus, some really great set pieces but the call backs to the old movies werent for me. I think I expected more because I love Alien and Aliens and have liked the director's previous movies (Dont Breathe/Evil Dead remake).
In a Violent Nature, pretty interesting concept mashing up slow cinema with full gore horror. Some pretty disgusting and creative kills if you are into that (my mate loves that shit but I was closing my eyes alot haha).

Going to try catch Strange Darling this week, heard its really good and quite surprising like Barbarian (which has to be one of my favourite horror movies of the last few years).
Great write up! Feels like a solid year for horror, so much interesting stuff coming out right now.

Keen to hear how you go with Strange Darling, seems like it's the "go in blind" horror of the year.

The really really really bad
Megalopolis - was expecting this to be "such a train wreck its entertaining" but it was just too long and tedious to even enjoy in that regard. How did Adam Driver agree to this? **** me its bad, and its so confused with it themes. Save your time and skip this but google "Jon Voight boner scene" for the best (unintentional) laugh in the movie

Coppola never kicked on after The Godfather movies. Sad really.

Great write up! Feels like a solid year for horror, so much interesting stuff coming out right now.

Keen to hear how you go with Strange Darling, seems like it's the "go in blind" horror of the year.
Wasnt able to see it in the end but its still on at Nova in Carlton so might try again this weekend. Yeah heard the same so have avoided even the trailer.

Looks like Substance is out on general release this weekend, definitely worth checking out. Was laughing out loud most of the third act.

Coppola never kicked on after The Godfather movies. Sad really.
Yeah he really tanked his career after such highs of GF 1 & 2 and Apocalypse Now, he also played such a big role in helping other up and coming directors from that era and giving more exposure to foreign directors through distribution deals with his self funded studio American Zoetrope.
I only learnt recently that he made a terrible musical in the 80s, One From The Heart, that basically bankrupted the studio.

I don't know how you can make those 3 movies then go on to produce and direct absolute piles of shit for the next 25 years.

Crazy fall off really.
If you havent watched the doco his wife filmed re making of Apocalypse now, Heart Of Darkness, its worth a watch. I think he thought he was bulletproof after it became such a success because everything that could go wrong did go wrong in the making of the movie and it really should have bombed.
Both One From The Heart and now Megalopolis seem to have followed similar behind the scenes issues and chaos as Apocalypse Now but unfortunately for him he could only strike gold once.

Remove this Banner Ad

Movie What's the last movie you saw? (7)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back