Movie What's the last movie you saw? (7)

Remove this Banner Ad

The Outside Man (1972) The fine, French crime-thriller director Jacques Deray went to America to make this film. Jean-Louis Trintignant stars as a French assassin sent to Los Angeles on a mission only to discover he has been set up afterwards. Roy Scheider, Ann-Margret and Angie Dickinson round out the main cast.

A fascinating look at a Frenchman's take on the US at this time.The action sequences are strong and the plot has enough twists to keep you entertained. Not, perhaps, up there with his earlier Borsalino (1970) but still well worth a look. And Trintignant is such a compelling lead. 7/10

Last edited:
The Postman (1997)

It drags a little for the first 50 minutes but it's a goosebumps moment when Costner starts being a postman. Same as when he rescues the gorgeous Olivia Williams on his horse. Not that she's a damsel in distress. She has just shot up the bad guys with her automatic rifle (gone postal?) and later she doesn't hesitate to shoot their horse for food then burn the house down forcing him to move on. It kinda turns into a post-apocalypse Western which works but the last 40 minutes are a mess.

The score is by James Newton Howard, who scored also Waterworld, but this time it suits the movie much better.

It's flawed but quite an enjoyable watch.

6/10

To Live and Die in L.A

On a bit of a LA cop/crime procedure marathon at the moment. What a movie. Is this film underrated? because I've never seen this one come up in film discussions. The ending just transcends the movie
A sunlight noir.

And who would have thought an entire score by Wang Chung could be so brilliant?

Late Night With the Devil.
Weird.
Exorcist meets Don Lane Show. Filmed in Melbourne apparently.
Weird indeed. After some good hype and write ups was expecting better

Primal Fear (1996)

A good recommendation from the iconic movies thread.

I usually don't like Richard Gere but he was good in this. Ed Norton was awesome. I loved that we, the audience, found out things at the same time as the characters. I guessed the ending but it was nicely done.

7/10

Primal Fear (1996)

A good recommendation from the iconic movies thread.

I usually don't like Richard Gere but he was good in this. Ed Norton was awesome. I loved that we, the audience, found out things at the same time as the characters. I guessed the ending but it was nicely done.

7/10
I rated Nortons portrayal as Oscar worthy

(Log in to remove this ad.)

FWiW MrsEddieBetts I am now rewatching (for the first time since High School) Much Ado About Nothing on SBA on Demand.

What a gorgeous beauty Emma Thompson was in her younger years, she reminded me of a high school class mate Kirsty, whom I had such a massive crush on, but was too shy/cowardly to ask out.

Mind you, you probably have to be a fan or at least familiar with Shakespeare and his works and dialogue to probably enjoy this film.

I didn't at the time (when I was a naive 16 year old kid) but it was in my mid 20s and 30s I started to read the works of Shakespeare and his plays and appreciatie the nuanced romance and darkness of them

FWiW MrsEddieBetts I am now rewatching (for the first time since High School) Much Ado About Nothing on SBA on Demand.

What a gorgeous beauty Emma Thompson was in her younger years, she reminded me of a high school class mate Kirsty, whom I had such a massive crush on, but was too shy/cowardly to ask out.

Mind you, you probably have to be a fan or at least familiar with Shakespeare and his works and dialogue to probably enjoy this film.

I didn't at the time (when I was a naive 16 year old kid) but it was in my mid 20s and 30s I started to read the works of Shakespeare and his plays and appreciatie the nuanced romance and darkness of them
I’ll definitely watch it! I was in a play of Much Ado About Nothing when I was younger so I know the source material well.

2001: A Space Oddysey.

I hadn't seen it yet and I love Kubrick in general.

Hated it. 20 minute montages depicting nothing of note. A narrative that led nowhere.

Effects and some certain scenes are iconic I'll grant him that. As a movie though it fails on most levels.

2001: A Space Oddysey.

I hadn't seen it yet and I love Kubrick in general.

Hated it. 20 minute montages depicting nothing of note. A narrative that led nowhere.

Effects and some certain scenes are iconic I'll grant him that. As a movie though it fails on most levels.

I am a sci fi nerd but it's definitely overrated and a chore to sit through, it's a brilliantly filmed and directed filmed, but just seems so soulless/without any sort of heart whatsoever

Last edited:
Boy Kills World... Bill Skarsgard plays a deaf, mute man whose internal monologue is a video game character voiced by H. Jon Benjamin (Archer, Bob's Burgers). Action comedy as he goes on a mission of revenge against the dictator that killed his family. Plays like an 80s, 90s action movie that skips past the back story in one minute, goes straight to the training montage and then the action. As a result, it feels overlong at almost two hours, should have been a nice, tight 90 minutes, the comedy never quite lives up to the wacky premise, but the action is good at times, there's a couple of nice flourishes like the character of June 27 and Sharlto Copley plays a small role with glee. 6/10.

Indiana Jones, the first one.

It was alright. Not my fave. Just didn't feel very exciting. Maybe I'm not an action movie girlie after all :(
Splitting hairs but Indiana Jones is more an action adventure movie, a subgenre that's pretty much dead these days and replaced by MCU stuff.

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk

Splitting hairs but Indiana Jones is more an action adventure movie, a subgenre that's pretty much dead these days and replaced by MCU stuff.

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk
I dont know id blame the MCU for that.

Uncharted was 2 years ago and bombed, Borderlands got done this year, The Lost City was 2 years ago too.

I think Action/Adventure has mostly been taken over by gaming tbh.

beetlejuice beetlejuice. shitjuice.

cinema audience was old people. wife bought a hot water bottle (we're not old old).
i'm definitely the wrong kind of person to be seeing this movie in the cinema, find it very hard to park my cynicism.
previews were long and sitting through marvel and other guff lowered my expectations before the movie itself.

mostly dull. urges to leave just after the funeral, wedding chit chat, but couldn't because my wife was there. so set myself the challenge of trying to take a nap during a movie. was too noisy so couldn't. my wife who loves beetlejuice, must have taken her eyes off the screen because i opened my eyes to see her face in front of me checking if i was asleep.
far too long dancing around the character they couldn't put in the movie because of inappropriate interactions with children. awkies.
monica belluci (who looked good but she's no melinda clarke) might be the soulsucker but o'hara is the scenesucker and overdone. with a bit of a push they could have nearly had a minions moment with the yellow suit shrunken heads but wisely avoided that.
musical numbers - boring. a little too much time spent on the soul train bad pun.
not offensively bad but its big sin is boredom. film held together with nostalgia and the fumes of a parent/child coming together plot. beetlejuice character comes across as too busy to have the involvement he needed to get this one off the ground.

Attachments

• rtld3.jpg
    rtld3.jpg
    118.6 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
I dont know id blame the MCU for that.

Uncharted was 2 years ago and bombed, Borderlands got done this year, The Lost City was 2 years ago too.

I think Action/Adventure has mostly been taken over by gaming tbh.
Action adventure is not dead but it's on life support, either because young adults have gaming alternatives, adults are going to cinemas less for the ones that skew adult, or a combination of both. But Jumanji and The Lost City were hits, National Treasure before that, Night at the Museum etc. Not room for too many so the quality has to be there if you want to draw crowds.

beetlejuice beetlejuice. shitjuice.

cinema audience was old people. wife bought a hot water bottle (we're not old old).
i'm definitely the wrong kind of person to be seeing this movie in the cinema, find it very hard to park my cynicism.
previews were long and sitting through marvel and other guff lowered my expectations before the movie itself.

mostly dull. urges to leave just after the funeral, wedding chit chat, but couldn't because my wife was there. so set myself the challenge of trying to take a nap during a movie. was too noisy so couldn't. my wife who loves beetlejuice, must have taken her eyes off the screen because i opened my eyes to see her face in front of me checking if i was asleep.
far too long dancing around the character they couldn't put in the movie because of inappropriate interactions with children. awkies.
monica belluci (who looked good but she's no melinda clarke) might be the soulsucker but o'hara is the scenesucker and overdone. with a bit of a push they could have nearly had a minions moment with the yellow suit shrunken heads but wisely avoided that.
musical numbers - boring. a little too much time spent on the soul train bad pun.
not offensively bad but its big sin is boredom. film held together with nostalgia and the fumes of a parent/child coming together plot. beetlejuice character comes across as too busy to have the involvement he needed to get this one off the ground.

Haven't seen it, but it definitely sounds like a cult classic movie that didn't need/warrant a sequel. Probably goes to the same bin as the Anchorman, Zoolander, Blues Brothers, Lost Boys sequels.

Was reassured to read the other day that the stars and writers of Goonies have no intention coming back for a sequel.

Remove this Banner Ad

Movie What's the last movie you saw? (7)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back