Movie What's the last movie you saw? (7)

Remove this Banner Ad

Action adventure is not dead but it's on life support, either because young adults have gaming alternatives, adults are going to cinemas less for the ones that skew adult, or a combination of both. But Jumanji and The Lost City were hits, National Treasure before that, Night at the Museum etc. Not room for too many so the quality has to be there if you want to draw crowds.
Was lost city a hit? I must admit I didn’t mind it but I thought it didn’t do well.

In any event I tend to agree, there’s room for the good stuff my point was more about blaming the mcu for its “demise”. We seem to be doing that for everything nowadays.

Haven't seen it, but it definitely sounds like a cult classic movie that didn't need/warrant a sequel. Probably goes to the same bin as the Anchorman, Zoolander, Blues Brothers, Lost Boys sequels.

Was reassured to read the other day that the stars and writers of Goonies have no intention coming back for a sequel.

any thoughts i have on hollywood movies should be taken with a big grain of salt, hence my caveat of being the wrong person to go and watch this, despite quite liking the original (well after the fact). but it certainly feels a bit unnecessary.

2001: A Space Oddysey.

I hadn't seen it yet and I love Kubrick in general.

Hated it. 20 minute montages depicting nothing of note. A narrative that led nowhere.

Effects and some certain scenes are iconic I'll grant him that. As a movie though it fails on most levels.

I am a sci fi nerd but it's definitely overrated and a chore to sit through, it's a brilliantly filmed and directed filmed, but just seems so soulless/without any sort of heart whatsoever
Hottest takes ever in history of movies.

I dont know id blame the MCU for that.

Uncharted was 2 years ago and bombed, Borderlands got done this year, The Lost City was 2 years ago too.

I think Action/Adventure has mostly been taken over by gaming tbh.
Two of those are video game adaptions.

Also FnF are basically (bad) action adventures, but with cars.

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk

Was lost city a hit? I must admit I didn’t mind it but I thought it didn’t do well.

In any event I tend to agree, there’s room for the good stuff my point was more about blaming the mcu for its “demise”. We seem to be doing that for everything nowadays.
$190m on a $70m budget, very solid hit.

Two of those are video game adaptions.

Also FnF are basically (bad) action adventures, but with cars.

So? They’re still action/adventure.

I’m not really arguing AA isn’t dying (or slowing down) I just think it’s a stretch to say the mcu killed it.

According to most the mcu killed mod tier budget films, indie films and now action/adventure?

It’s a bit overstated.

2001: A Space Oddysey.

I hadn't seen it yet and I love Kubrick in general.

Hated it. 20 minute montages depicting nothing of note. A narrative that led nowhere.

Effects and some certain scenes are iconic I'll grant him that. As a movie though it fails on most levels.
Watch, 2010. Very underrated but a good genuine SCFI flick.

Hottest takes ever in history of movies.
I think I agree with it. No one I know who has ever seen it “understood” it (at least without reading some thesis on it).

It is a slog to get through, it has some absolutelt iconic visuals and the film making for the time (and even now) is astounding but from any sort of narrative viewpoint it’s at the very least ****ing weird.

I saw Alien: Romulus on Thursday and as an Alien franchise fan I thought it held up well. The “offspring” creature was really spooky and still gives me the creeps. For sci-fi horror I give it 8/10. For Alien universe i probably give it 6/10.

I think I agree with it. No one I know who has ever seen it “understood” it (at least without reading some thesis on it).

It is a slog to get through, it has some absolutelt iconic visuals and the film making for the time (and even now) is astounding but from any sort of narrative viewpoint it’s at the very least ****ing weird.
To each his own. You called my take on Top Gun Maverick being crap as a hot take.

But this was an epic on the history and future of mankind, AI, human evolution and extraterrestrial life. Didn’t think the narrative was a confusing as some think ..yeah maybe the aging and rebirth scenes a little but that’s totally eclipsed by the brilliance of it. Hugely influential to future sci fi’s, Clarke’s canny prediction of future technology and the increasingly soundtrack. No surprise it makes many people’s best ever movies list

To each his own. You called my take on Top Gun Maverick being crap as a hot take.

But this was an epic on the history and future of mankind, AI, human evolution and extraterrestrial life. Didn’t think the narrative was a confusing as some think ..yeah maybe the aging and rebirth scenes a little but that’s totally eclipsed by the brilliance of it. Hugely influential to future sci fi’s, Clarke’s canny prediction of future technology and the increasingly soundtrack. No surprise it makes many people’s best ever movies list
May I add that often you'll hear it said that certain films need to be be experienced on the big screen. It is certainly the case with this one. I saw it twice on its 70mm re-release a few years back and I found it so emotionally powerful. Transcendental, even.

An obvious remark and one said many times - How blown away must audiences have felt seeing this in 1968? I shake my head in wonder imagining that.

I didn’t say it wasn’t a hot take I just said I agree with it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Splitting hairs but Indiana Jones is more an action adventure movie, a subgenre that's pretty much dead these days and replaced by MCU stuff.

It was pretty much a homage to the Republic serials of the 30s-40s. A 'cliffhanger' as they used to be called, but in feature-length and with a far larger budget than the serials were afforded.

That the film was SO incredibly popular in 1981 (I think I saw it three or four times on original release) was that such a film had not been seen in so long, it was an antidote to the often overly serious and dour Hollywood films of the time (that's not a criticism of those films, just a fact) and that it was enjoyed by kids looking for escapism and their parents (who remembered the serial tropes from they were kids). Plus it was made with skill and heart.

I remember Hollywood tried to capture lightning in a bottle again with various efforts - can anyone remember HIGH ROAD TO CHINA starring Tom Selleck (the original choice for Jones)? Probably not. Later on Cannon had a shot with KING SOLOMON'S MINES (even hauling in Raider's John Rhys Davies for support in a cheap and lacklustre flick - although Sharon Stone was quite fetching in her very short shorts). Perhaps only ROMANCING THE STONE achieved ongoing success. And on TV - "Tales of the Gold Monkey" and "Bring 'Em Back Alive" both barely lasted a season each.

Raiders (and its first couple of sequels) was a one off (or three off if you like). Often imitated but seldom equalled.

It was pretty much a homage to the Republic serials of the 30s-40s. A 'cliffhanger' as they used to be called, but in feature-length and with a far larger budget than the serials were afforded.

That the film was SO incredibly popular in 1981 (I think I saw it three or four times on original release) was that such a film had not been seen in so long, it was an antidote to the often overly serious and dour Hollywood films of the time (that's not a criticism of those films, just a fact) and that it was enjoyed by kids looking for escapism and their parents (who remembered the serial tropes from they were kids). Plus it was made with skill and heart.

I remember Hollywood tried to capture lightning in a bottle again with various efforts - can anyone remember HIGH ROAD TO CHINA starring Tom Selleck (the original choice for Jones)? Probably not. Later on Cannon had a shot with KING SOLOMON'S MINES (even hauling in Raider's John Rhys Davies for support in a cheap and lacklustre flick - although Sharon Stone was quite fetching in her very short shorts). Perhaps only ROMANCING THE STONE achieved ongoing success. And on TV - "Tales of the Gold Monkey" and "Bring 'Em Back Alive" both barely lasted a season each.

Raiders (and its first couple of sequels) was a one off (or three off if you like). Often imitated but seldom equalled.
On this but that's also why Lucas made Star Wars, he was sick of how serious Hollywood was and also the SciFi at the time. He wanted to make something fun.

The Holdovers

I just put this on randomly last night before bed. Ended up watching the whole thing and staying up way too late. It's brilliant. I want to check out more from this director. Nebraska next.

8/10
Highly recommend Sideways as well

My hot take re Kubrick is he is one of the best technical directors of all time but I dont think he is a great story teller. I love shining because of the vibe he sets but its also one of the funniest films ive seen and I dont think its intentional. Clockwork orange is the real slog for me, its trying way too hard to be edgy and I think its message is a bit empty.

2001 is probably my favourite of his films because of the fact it doesn't rely on a traditional narrative story so doesn't highlight his weaknesses as much. As some have said it really needs to be seen on a big screen as that really shows off how gifted he is as a director. Saw it recently on 70mm at the Astor and it is still pretty jaw dropping.

The only Kubrick movie I have watched from start to finish is Full Metal Jacket.

I feel like I've missed the boat now. Should've watched his other stuff when I was younger.
Watched FMJ and The Shining and enjoyed both

Hadnt realised the comic implications of Jack Torrance but ok

Its been a long long time since 2001 - hell it was more likely in my Betamax thats how long ago

My recollection is visually stunning but held together by thin strands and '' Open the pod bay door Hal ''

There may be a few others of his Ive seen but could not name them

Rebel in the Rye (2017)

A biopic of JD Salinger. He's famous for writing The Catcher in the Rye but he was a pretty interesting guy. The movie does a good job of condensing his life story into 1h 45.

Nicholas Hoult wasn't who I imagined Salinger to be but he put in a good performance. Kevin Spacey is excellent as his early mentor, Whit Burnett.

6/10

The movie inspired me to re-read The Catcher in the Rye. It's 73 years since it was first published but it doesn't feel dated. You can hear Holden Caulfield's voice in your head, but they could be the words of a present day, disaffected and alienated teenage boy.

The Ministry of Ungentlemanly Warfare

I had a heap of fun, its probably a touch long and the climactic finale was difficult to follow logistically (also can we quit with night time shooting being pitch ****ing black) but great chemistry between the leads.

Kubrick is up there with my very faves. Can understand those ala AFDogs only having properly come across FMJ until now, arguably takes a more concerted interest in cinema to seek out the others (even The Shining kinda). I’ve had family and friends enjoy this or that one, but they aren’t films they’d really have seen otherwise, even the iconic ones. Spartacus would be the exception, that had a bit more mass appeal and can be easily understood.

Remove this Banner Ad

Movie What's the last movie you saw? (7)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back