Movie What's the last movie you saw? (7)

Remove this Banner Ad

Pretty sure ive seen all of Kubricks work post Lolita.

FMJ is a masterpiece, especially the first half, as is the Shining, Strangelove and Clockwork are a rung down but still brilliant and iconic.

Space Odyssey and Eyes Wide Shut i just didnt really get, i "liked" Eyes Wide Shut enough but it feels alot like those two movies are almost exclusively for proper film bros who wanna tell you why using x film stock for y scene is the most genius decision ever made by a film maker.

The only Kubrick movie I have watched from start to finish is Full Metal Jacket.

I feel like I've missed the boat now. Should've watched his other stuff when I was younger.

Definitely haven't missed the boat. I had only watched The Shining, Eyes Wide Shut, Space Odyssey (my least fav) in my late 20's and have slowly gotten through the rest of his films recently (Clockwork, Barry Lyndon) and they're brilliant. Barry Lyndon I would consider in my top 4 now lol

Pretty sure ive seen all of Kubricks work post Lolita.

FMJ is a masterpiece, especially the first half, as is the Shining, Strangelove and Clockwork are a rung down but still brilliant and iconic.

Space Odyssey and Eyes Wide Shut i just didnt really get, i "liked" Eyes Wide Shut enough but it feels alot like those two movies are almost exclusively for proper film bros who wanna tell you why using x film stock for y scene is the most genius decision ever made by a film maker.

I love Eyes Wide Shut for the cinematography (New York/Christmas) shots and the whole secret society. More importantly Nicole Kidman is bloody gorgeous in it

Continuing on from LA crime this weekend

Beverley Hills Cop

Beverly Hill 2

This was is too good, no doubt by the late master mind Tony Scott. Had some real good high adrenaline Scott MO pieces.

Might catch Lethal Weapon tonight, never seen any before
Steer clear of Beverly Hills cop 3

I watched them all over a month or so when they released axel f on netflix

The first 2 are great, axel f not bad though it’s just kinda leaning into nostalgia a fair bit

The third one is terrible.. not sure what happened there

The first 2 are great, axel f not bad though it’s just kinda leaning into nostalgia a fair bit

Yeah I first watched Axel F when it was released and have gone backwards starting from the original. But feel like they’re more or less all the same film. Fun but I already maxed out with no intention of watching the third haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Eddie Murphy was over playing Axel as a smartass and thought he would be more mature by now. Also he had a falling out with the director (John Landis). Murphy claims to have given him another chance after murdering those kids, but began to regret it, so he made BHC 3 difficult for him to direct.

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk

I loved BHC3 as a kid, i think the setting and it being much much more PG than M or MA.

Watched it again as i got a bit older and it didnt even feel like a BCH movie.

Eddie Murphy was over playing Axel as a smartass and thought he would be more mature by now. Also he had a falling out with the director (John Landis). Murphy claims to have given him another chance after murdering those kids, but began to regret it, so he made BHC 3 difficult for him to direct.

Murdering those kids?

Murdering those kids?
Landis was charged (and acquitted i think) of the deaths of a couple of child actors and stuntment after their deaths on the set of the Twilight Zone movie.

I think Spielberg was charged as well?

Not sure about Murphy giving him another chance, the charge was in like 82? He did a stack of movies between that and BHC3 in 94 (including Coming to America with Murphy)

Murdering those kids?
A helicopter crashed on a Vietnam war set, Vic Morrow and a child were decapitated and another child crushed under the aircraft after a pyrotechnic blew off the tail rotor. Landis broke a whole lot of laws and regulations trying to get the shot but was somehow acquitted.

Last edited:
Landis was charged (and acquitted i think) of the deaths of a couple of child actors and stuntment after their deaths on the set of the Twilight Zone movie.

I think Spielberg was charged as well?

Not sure about Murphy giving him another chance, the charge was in like 82? He did a stack of movies between that and BHC3 in 94 (including Coming to America with Murphy)
Yeah he gave him a go with Coming to America but then I think he begun to see Landis wasn't remorseful for it and grateful for Murphy, so when Landis ended up director of BH3 he said **** this.

Yeah he gave him a go with Coming to America but then I think he begun to see Landis wasn't remorseful for it and grateful for Murphy, so when Landis ended up director of BH3 he said **** this.

Between the twilight zone thing and BHC3 Landis had the following, in this order

Spies Like Us, Three Amigos, Coming to America. He also had a shitload of music clips with MJ and the like.

Now, whether Landis is remorseful or not (cant comment, but he was acquited and it is Hollywood) i dont think he needed a second chance from Eddie.

Also Eddie hardly the morality beacon to be casting aspersions over others.

MV5BMWI2OWFjNjgtOTQ2Zi00MjlmLTg2MGYtNmE4MjMyZjIzMDA0XkEyXkFqcGc@._V1_FMjpg_UX1000_.jpg

Speak No Evil (2024)
**** this film.

Total waste of McAvoy's amazing performance. Incredibly well made actually- the atmosphere is tense, the sense of dread palpable, but unfortunately the filmmakers don't have any balls and they bitched out with this remake by having a diluted
everyone lives
ending. Just watch the original instead. **** you Hollywood. 2/10

(Log in to remove this ad.)

MV5BMWI2OWFjNjgtOTQ2Zi00MjlmLTg2MGYtNmE4MjMyZjIzMDA0XkEyXkFqcGc@._V1_FMjpg_UX1000_.jpg

Speak No Evil (2024)
**** this film.

Total waste of McAvoy's amazing performance. Incredibly well made actually- the atmosphere is tense, the sense of dread palpable, but unfortunately the filmmakers don't have any balls and they bitched out with this remake by having a diluted
everyone lives
Yeah heard the Big Picture podcast discussion about it and you could tell they were trying to be as nice as possible with how they explained the differences between this and the original.
the original one is brutal.

Speak No Evil (2024)
**** this film.

everyone lives
Thanks - saw the trailer and was like ehh

Top Gun Maverick for me tonight before it leaves Netflix

Between the twilight zone thing and BHC3 Landis had the following, in this order

Spies Like Us, Three Amigos, Coming to America. He also had a shitload of music clips with MJ and the like.

Now, whether Landis is remorseful or not (cant comment, but he was acquited and it is Hollywood) i dont think he needed a second chance from Eddie.

Hey I'm just repeating what I read that Eddie said, which explains some of the low energy lack of passion in the film that comes across on camera.

Hey I'm just repeating what I read that Eddie said, which explains some of the low energy lack of passion in the film that comes across on camera.

The low passion comes from Eddie not the director

I actually didn’t hate the first one, the sequels really don’t land
Two movies in and I still don't understand why they made the maze. It must have taken years and cost billions. And I don't understand what they were trying to achieve. Maybe I slept through the explanation.

Yeah heard the Big Picture podcast discussion about it and you could tell they were trying to be as nice as possible with how they explained the differences between this and the original.
the original one is brutal.
I specifically avoided the pod until I can see it but yeh agreed all round the original is ROUGH

Two movies in and I still don't understand why they made the maze. It must have taken years and cost billions. And I don't understand what they were trying to achieve. Maybe I slept through the explanation.
You know, I had absolutely no idea either, I just remembered thinking the first one was alright.

I googled it and read the answer and I’m honestly no wiser (something about virus attacking brains and the maze being a study) but I also read that apparently the movie makes no attempt to explain this.

You know, I had absolutely no idea either, I just remembered thinking the first one was alright.

I googled it and read the answer and I’m honestly no wiser (something about virus attacking brains and the maze being a study) but I also read that apparently the movie makes no attempt to explain this.
They just had a line in the third movie. It still didn't make sense.

The author thought it would be a cool mystery? It's bizarre.

At this point I am watching for the zombies.

Once, when asked if he would work with John Landis again, Eddie stated, "I have more chance of working with Vic Morrow" (the actor killed on the Twilight Zone disaster).

Of course he ended up changing his mind for an awful film.

Anyone interested should read the book "Outrageous Conduct" to get an idea as to why Landis should still be in in jail for the death of Morrow and two little kids.

Utterly reprehensible human being.

I have shelved Top Gun until later in the week

Meanwhile on Mastermind was someone whose subject was The Shining film

Said it is worth multiple rewatches as each scene has something in it and Kubrick was responsible for setting the scenes ( yes as Director I know its what he does)

Remove this Banner Ad

Movie What's the last movie you saw? (7)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back