Movie What's the last movie you saw? (7)

Remove this Banner Ad

Longlegs, shithouse

Can't think what else I've watched recently.

Before Sunrise, and whatever the sequel is. The first one is really beautiful. Sequel not as good but not bad.

Seeing The Substance today.

a fortunate man. netflix, original danish dub w/ english subs

didn't actually catch all of it, but saw the last 2/3rds or so, didn't plan on watching to the end but did.
visually very nice. flawed/unlikeable lead character often referred to as arrogant and stubborn, sometimes because of not bending to social/political mores, but genuinely ****s his life up. allusions to mental illness and family upbringing that travel with you through life and how he struggled to make something of his life. bittersweet ending.

Omni Loop (2024)

It's one of those movies like Groundhog Day, Map of Tiny Perfect Things, Palm Springs where someone is stuck in a time loop. The plot is mostly ok while not being not as interesting as any of those. But the second half really drags and the ending is unsatisfactory. Mary-Louise Parker and Ayo Edebiri are fine in the leads.

4/10

Longlegs, shithouse

Logged in half-way through watching Longlegs just to say... yep, shithouse. I don't think I've ever found jump cuts in a horror/thriller more annoying. Nicolas Cage's name on a movie poster is a guarantee of wierd, not good.

This movie got a higher rating on Metacritic than Se7en. Film critics are eijits.

Logged in half-way through watching Longlegs just to say... yep, shithouse. I don't think I've ever found jump cuts in a horror/thriller more annoying. Nicolas Cage's name on a movie poster is a guarantee of wierd, not good.

This movie got a higher rating on Metacritic than Se7en. Film critics are eijits.
I actually really loved it and it’s been put into my collection next to “The Babadook” and the very underrated, “The VVitch”..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A Cure for Wellness (2016)

A bloated mess. Heard this was audacious so was expecting something a bit more creative, but it's just overlong and tropey by the end. So many instances of the protagonist making a discovery of "there's some dark shit going on here" - you'd think by the 20th time you might just GTFO? A 140 minute movie that could have been 90.

4/10

Funny, it doesn't happen thaaat much but the marketing and online reaction of this movie was really quite big, made me want to see it. But far out. So boring and bad.
Did you end up seeing Substance?
Sure did. I was walking down the stairs at the boutique kind of cinema I like to see smaller movies at and I noticed the poster for the movie said something like 'it's just absolutely insane', and that's a great way of describing it. I liked most of it, and I'd love to hear other guys on here's thoughts. Funnily enough I thought it kind of lacked.. substance. But it's gonna be one of my favourite movies of the year I think. Acting was really top notch, I am such a huge fan of Margaret Qualley and we would be great together.

Funny, it doesn't happen thaaat much but the marketing and online reaction of this movie was really quite big, made me want to see it. But far out. So boring and bad.

Sure did. I was walking down the stairs at the boutique kind of cinema I like to see smaller movies at and I noticed the poster for the movie said something like 'it's just absolutely insane', and that's a great way of describing it. I liked most of it, and I'd love to hear other guys on here's thoughts. Funnily enough I thought it kind of lacked.. substance. But it's gonna be one of my favourite movies of the year I think. Acting was really top notch, I am such a huge fan of Margaret Qualley and we would be great together.
Yeah I loved it too, just such a crazy ride. I get what you mean re "lacking substance " but I think that's the style of euro horror/comedy (the director is french).

Sort of reminded me a bit of triangle of sadness where it keeps escalating and doesn't really have any "subtlety" so to speak. (Probably didn't need spoilers but just being safe haha)

The Substance (2024)

A middle-aged TV aerobics star is tempted to take a radical drug in order to maintain her looks. We are taken on a wild ride of a Cronenberg style body-horror movie with a nod to Kubrick. It gets pretty extreme towards the end but in a fun way and I was laughing out loud.

It's not the sort of movie to win Oscars but I reckon Demi Moore might get a nomination. The cinematography and make up should also win a few prizes. My only qualms are that it appears to be satirising Hollywood's obsession with female youth and beauty while including a lot of fairly exploitative shots.

Overall it was a lot of fun. I would highly recommend this if you are not too squeamish.

8/10

The Substance (2024)
Disgusting, ironically titled high-concept feminist horror film that is big on style.

The concept is good and the narrative keeps you engaged for the first act and a bit, before it becomes clear that there is not much substance to Substance. The narrative becomes predictable and repetitive, and the characters and themes aren't really explored in any substantial way.

Maybe that's kind of the point this movie is making though, with its commentary on Hollywood's attitude to women.

But yes it is big on style, be it many close ups of a very hot Margaret Qualley, to the many horror scenes that are more of a "put you off your tea" than a "make you shit your pants" variety. The way it gradually builds on this is cool, but I think the whole thing could have been a fair bit shorter than 2 hours 20, I think you need more plot for movies that long. Some of the funny bits were only sort of funny for me.

Visual effects excellent, mostly make up and prosthesis, not CGI. Some nods to Kubrick and The Picture of Dorian Gray along the way, and naming the Hollywood producer "Harvey" was a nice cheeky touch.

The jarring soundtrack went too far in the third act, to the point of saturation, and lost its impact.

Overall a nice idea but I kind of wanted a bit more substance around themes/plot.

2.5 stars.

The Substance (2024)
Disgusting, ironically titled high-concept feminist horror film that is big on style.

The concept is good and the narrative keeps you engaged for the first act and a bit, before it becomes clear that there is not much substance to Substance. The narrative becomes predictable and repetitive, and the characters and themes aren't really explored in any substantial way.

Maybe that's kind of the point this movie is making though, with its commentary on Hollywood's attitude to women.

But yes it is big on style, be it many close ups of a very hot Margaret Qualley, to the many horror scenes that are more of a "put you off your tea" than a "make you shit your pants" variety. The way it gradually builds on this is cool, but I think the whole thing could have been a fair bit shorter than 2 hours 20, I think you need more plot for movies that long. Some of the funny bits were only sort of funny for me.

Visual effects excellent, mostly make up and prosthesis, not CGI. Some nods to Kubrick and The Picture of Dorian Gray along the way, and naming the Hollywood producer "Harvey" was a nice cheeky touch.

The jarring soundtrack went too far in the third act, to the point of saturation, and lost its impact.

Overall a nice idea but I kind of wanted a bit more substance around themes/plot.

2.5 stars.

Tend to agree! The idea of the movie is fantastic, I just wish it had more to say. I am quite interested in the topic of the Hollywood system throwing woman who were young and good looking out once they're past their 'use by date' but at the same time the system was the reason they had the chance to become rich and famous.

Good review.

Remove this Banner Ad

Movie What's the last movie you saw? (7)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back