Movie What's the last movie you saw? (7)

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah how good is it
Maybe too weird to be good, despite good performances from Winona Ryder, Jenna Ortega, Catherine O'Hara and Michael Keaton. The original Beetlejuice way back in 1988 obviously had weird things in it (and Tim Burton is the master at this type of film) but it had enough grounding in reality to make it a classic, but this sequel was just so out there.

Maybe too weird to be good, despite good performances from Winona Ryder, Jenna Ortega, Catherine O'Hara and Michael Keaton. The original Beetlejuice way back in 1988 obviously had weird things in it (and Tim Burton is the master at this type of film) but it had enough grounding in reality to make it a classic, but this sequel was just so out there.
I loved the weird šŸ˜­

Seven Samurai - Original 3:20, 4K remastered cinema version, subtitled.

Really liked it. See it if you get the chance. In a cinema with nice soft arm rests. Wear comfortable clothes. 5 minute intermission is just enough time for a toilet dash (or, rush in headlong).

Last edited:
Yes but how ****ing incredible is it?!
Yeah itā€™s an incredible movie. I canā€™t believe I like a movie with aliens in it that isnā€™t Star Wars.

Itā€™s broken my brain though, thinking about choice and self determinism and all that jazz.
Have you watched Incendies? IMO it's Villeneuve's best movie.

I don't know if MrsEddieBetts could handle it though if Arrivals made her cry for two hours.
Nooo I love crying in movies, itā€™s so cathartic! Iā€™m gonna google it.

Seven Samurai - Original 3:20, 4K remastered cinema version, subtitled.

Really liked it. See it if you get the chance. In a cinema with nice soft arm rests. Wear comfortable clothes. 5 minute intermission is just enough time for a toilet dash (or, rush in headlong).
Have seen this at home before but my dad insisted on us taking my 13 yo nephew. Was great experience but wish we hadn't chosen the Astor, with its rock hard seats, to watch it at :D.
They're running a number of his other movies over October/november at Astor and the Classic so going to try catch a few more as have only seen this and Ran. Top of the list is Throne of Blood, Yojimbo and Rashomon.

cobweb, netflix.
early it hints at a 'there's something wrong with the house' movie. kinda interesting fake-out where the parents aren't the villains. that carries most of the movie, and there's some satisfying revenge against bully bits but once the parents are done for it limps along.
falls flat a bit at the end, and you realise the movie has coasted on a flimsy premise. which is, the parents deciding to lock their evil witch daughter in the walls of their house. why did parents do this and not some other thing (kill her, abandon, move house)? why did the kid not hear any movement in the walls until such time? bad plot armour involved in the ending. also rushed conclusion laid the sequel groundwork. could have done the same groundwork but better conclude by showing the character grown up and 'seeing' his witch sister.
soundtrack top notch, carried this one quite a bit. lots of piano work invoking an eerie donnie darko feel.

Last edited by a moderator:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Arrival, after reading Jatz 's remarkable review. I thought it deserved a proper comment.

He didnā€™t steer me wrong; this is an incredible movie. Itā€™s quiet, beautifully paced, alieny without being obnoxious and sparked many questions Iā€™ve been thinking and talking about all goddamn day. A sci fi movie for non sci fi people (and maybe for sci fi people too but I wouldnā€™t know šŸ’…).

I will definitely rewatch it next time I need a big cry.

Last edited:
Arrival, after reading @Jatzā€™s remarkable review. I thought it deserved a proper comment.

He didnā€™t steer me wrong; this is an incredible movie. Itā€™s quiet, beautifully paced, alieny without being obnoxious and sparked many questions Iā€™ve been thinking and talking about all goddamn day. A sci fi movie for non sci fi people (and maybe for sci fi people too but I wouldnā€™t know šŸ’…).

I will definitely rewatch it next time I need a big cry.
One could say, a Jatz cracker perhaps?

Arrival, after reading Jatz 's remarkable review. I thought it deserved a proper comment.

The best sci-fi is about the characters and is a good vehicle for posing existential questions.

How would you feel if you knew the future, with all its joys and sadness, but couldn't change it?

Blade Runner. Should a non-human with consciousness have the same rights as us? We might not even know if we were human or not.

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. Joel and Clementine can't help falling in love with each other despite a procedure to erase their memories.

Arrival

Holy ****, what an incredible movie. Intriguing, thought provoking, engaging. Unbelievably well acted by Amy Adams.

Incredible story and just so well done. This one will stand out for a while.

The non linear beginning/end is phenomenal.

The cinematography, the musical score. Itā€™s just perfect.

Been a while since I came across a movie that moved me quite like that one.

9.5/10

Iā€™ll have to give it another watch, first and only time Iā€™ve seen it I didnā€™t think much of it.

Gunpowder Milkshake - Netflix

I dont know what I watched but I liked it - it may not be for everybody but I thought it was a fine movie

The plot is fairly simplistic and in male terms its a Joan Wick, Dirty Harriet movie where if this was a male movie it would be another Saturday night actioner - and it still is.

Karen Gillam stars as a hitwoman for The Firm who makes 2 mistakes in one night which results in her being hunted by everyone.

So much genre jumping and homages to previous films and eras that you need to let it wash over you. From the vibrant colours to the choice of music this is a movie crafted not made. Hints of scenes and reminiscence of much older movies leaves a ghost feeling that keeps you thinking long after

At times it felt inspired by a comic but its an original movie idea.

The best sci-fi is about the characters and is a good vehicle for posing existential questions.

How would you feel if you knew the future, with all its joys and sadness, but couldn't change it?

Blade Runner. Should a non-human with consciousness have the same rights as us? We might not even know if we were human or not.

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. Joel and Clementine can't help falling in love with each other despite a procedure to erase their memories.
Yes Iā€™m opening my mind to the genre. Iā€™d always thought of it as like aliens, explosions and the end of the world until now.

Nooo I love crying in movies, itā€™s so cathartic! Iā€™m gonna google it.

Me too. After watching Carlton play for most of the last 25 years, I can now cry on command.

I watched the original Beetlejuice last week. While it has some fun moments, it really is an odd movie. Keaton wasnt really even in it much. The only real stand out scene in the film was the dance number at the dinner party. I plan on seeing the 2nd one soon.

Back to Black (2024)

A biopic about the life of Amy Winehouse with a terrific performance from the lead actor, Marisa Abela, capturing Winehouse's singing style, charisma, and look perfectly. I wish we had learned more about what events in Winehouse's childhood became factors in her emotional pain as an adult. The movie gives no in-depth psychological understanding of her other than some daddy issues. The movie centered around her tumultuous and drug-fueled relationship with Blake, which (if the film is to be believed) was ultimately her undoing. The film would have us believe she died of a broken heart, but her raging alcoholism was the real reason. No doubt, it's a tragedy that such a talented young performer died so young. 6/10 (Above Average)

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Movie What's the last movie you saw? (7)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back