Movie What's the last movie you saw? (7)

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm thinking solely about Dastmalchian's performance, not the film as a whole. The film is a great horror but don't see it ticking the right Oscar boxes, but could Dastmalchian sneak into the five for best actor. Always a tough category and doesn't stretch to 10 nominees like the movies do.
AACTAs might be the better prospect for recognition (aren’t afraid to award absent internationals either like CLJ and Butler recently, and a horror won Best Film last year). Ian Bliss in support was excellent.

If Collette in Hereditary and Pugh in Midsomma didnt garner Oscar noms its hard to imagine anything in a horror film getting an acting nod again tbh.

Early mail seems to be that Eggers might get a directing nod (or possibly best film) if Nosferatu is what we all hope and even thats more on the back of his last few films being proper critical darlings (noting i loved The Northman but didnt at all get The Lighthouse).

Yeah a horror performance getting into lead is tough.

Feel like Kidman might’ve been a shot for Others if she didn’t also have Moulin Rouge that year.

1990-91 Actress winners in Bates & Foster, Weaver famously nominated for Aliens in 1986.

Last edited:
I find it hard to get excited about yet another Dracula. Don’t really love any of the Bram Stoker-related adaptations either, although I’m sure he’ll do something intriguing with it. I think The Witch is the most I’ve enjoyed Eggers to date.
Im excited because i think the cast is great and Eggers is a total ****ing weirdo so likely to do some bizarre stuff but i can completely understand this.

Stars a decent cast lineup, Richard Gere, Ethan Hawke, Don Cheadle, Wesley Snipes Vincent D'Onofrio and Ellen Barkin. Its a cop film tells the story of three Brooklyn policemen who have very different career paths and explores the underbelly of police work in some of the most unbecoming neighborhoods in New York.

I would recommend it only if you like TV cop shows on TV. I gave it a 6/10.

Touch.

An aging man from Iceland with declining health goes on a quest to find the Japanese girl who he fell in love with whilst attending University in England in the late 60's.

An enjoyable 2hrs at Nova.

A Prophet (2009) -
A gritty French mob prison affair with a standout lead performance. I didn't enjoy a few major contrivances, one with a fortunate car crash and another where carnage in the middle of a busy street doesn't seem to rouse any reaction from authorities and/or the general public. Other than that though, very compelling and gritty. Deserving of its Best International Film Oscar nom. 7.5/10.

Bambi (1942) -
I didn't realise how much the Lion King, which I don't rate fwiw, ripped from this. Seen one and you've seen the other. Pretty remarkable images for the time admittedly. Also what is with Disney's obsession with royalty?! A watchable 5/10.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Late Night With The Devil

Had my eye on this one for a while, but my wife hates horror movies so we can't see them in the cinema. Now it's on Netflix so I gave it a shot.

1970's late night TV talk show host who is struggling in the ratings against Johnny Carson decides to have a Halloween special to try and get a bit of a ratings boost. Invites on as a guest a young girl who is supposedly posessed by a demon. Hijinks ensue.

Not sure what the budget was, but it's clearly low, and one of those cases where the constraints work in the film's favour. Not a whole lot of visual effects, no big names attached (unless you count Michael Ironside doing some voice over narration at the start). Similar to something like Reservoir Dogs, practically the whole movie takes place in a single location - in this case it's actually a TV studio, which I imagine was even more convenient.

Overall pretty good, although I felt like it didn't quite stick the landing in terms of the ending, but even that isn't bad exactly, just not quite satisfying. Definitely worth watching.

Late Night With The Devil

Had my eye on this one for a while, but my wife hates horror movies so we can't see them in the cinema. Now it's on Netflix so I gave it a shot.

1970's late night TV talk show host who is struggling in the ratings against Johnny Carson decides to have a Halloween special to try and get a bit of a ratings boost. Invites on as a guest a young girl who is supposedly posessed by a demon. Hijinks ensue.

Not sure what the budget was, but it's clearly low, and one of those cases where the constraints work in the film's favour. Not a whole lot of visual effects, no big names attached (unless you count Michael Ironside doing some voice over narration at the start). Similar to something like Reservoir Dogs, practically the whole movie takes place in a single location - in this case it's actually a TV studio, which I imagine was even more convenient.

Overall pretty good, although I felt like it didn't quite stick the landing in terms of the ending, but even that isn't bad exactly, just not quite satisfying. Definitely worth watching.
Its funny cause Dastmalchian was in Nolans Batman universe, the DCEU, Oppenheimer and Dune and Ian Bliss was in The Matrix universe. Youre absolutely right in that theyre not bid names but theyve been in about the biggest movies possible.

Its funny cause Dastmalchian was in Nolans Batman universe, the DCEU, Oppenheimer and Dune and Ian Bliss was in The Matrix universe. Youre absolutely right in that theyre not bid names but theyve been in about the biggest movies possible.
Yeah, there were a lot of people in those movies, but not all of them were big names.

Reminds me of Bruce Campbell's autobiography, "If Chins Could Kill" (great read, btw, highly recommended). He had a chapter in there called "The Bigger The Budget, The Smaller The Role" :D

Beetlejuice Beetlejuice... disappointing. Maybe my expectations had been raised because it did well at the box office and seemed to have generally positive reviews. The beauty of the first film was its simplicity. A young couple die and struggle with the transition to death, including the new people in their house they want to get rid of. That's it, the film then plays on haunting formula in a funny way. This film just throws so many ideas at the wall, including a strained mother/daughter relationship, missing dad/new stepdad, an afterlife cop, an ex of Beetlejuice, a young boy that Jenna Ortega has a crush on, a twist that is fairly obvious. Despite all these extra storylines, it still runs a similar length to the first film but manages to be a little boring. It's creatively drawn, there's a few fun scenes but I had hoped for more. 5/10.

Beetlejuice Beetlejuice... disappointing. Maybe my expectations had been raised because it did well at the box office and seemed to have generally positive reviews. The beauty of the first film was its simplicity. A young couple die and struggle with the transition to death, including the new people in their house they want to get rid of. That's it, the film then plays on haunting formula in a funny way. This film just throws so many ideas at the wall, including a strained mother/daughter relationship, missing dad/new stepdad, an afterlife cop, an ex of Beetlejuice, a young boy that Jenna Ortega has a crush on, a twist that is fairly obvious. Despite all these extra storylines, it still runs a similar length to the first film but manages to be a little boring. It's creatively drawn, there's a few fun scenes but I had hoped for more. 5/10.
Near enough my feeling on it

Maybe it was nostalgia or maybe it wasnt that good . My review was along the lines that they had 10 things from the 1st movie they wanted to include and it wasnt done well

Near enough my feeling on it

Maybe it was nostalgia or maybe it wasnt that good . My review was along the lines that they had 10 things from the 1st movie they wanted to include and it wasnt done well
It's not just nostalgia, I rewatched Beetlejuice for the first time in decades about a month ago in preparation. I had practically forgotten all of it. But it's just a much better movie.

Last edited:
The Wild Robot. I liked this one. A story that's kind of been done before but it had a lot of heart, a few laughs and a nice message for kids. 7.5/10.
I enjoyed this too. Great animation and soundtrack really elevated it.

Arrival

Holy ****, what an incredible movie. Intriguing, thought provoking, engaging. Unbelievably well acted by Amy Adams.

Incredible story and just so well done. This one will stand out for a while.

The non linear beginning/end is phenomenal.

The cinematography, the musical score. It’s just perfect.

Been a while since I came across a movie that moved me quite like that one.

9.5/10
I was blown away by this movie when I saw it at the cinema. It instantly became a favourite of mine. I rewatch it from time to time and I can now categorically state that it is the best film I have seen. I cannot explain how the impact of it hasn't diminished but only grown over time. It is beautiful, thoughtful, fascinating, deliberate, utterly devestating and life affirming all at the same time. It is an immaculate work of art.

I was blown away by this movie when I saw it at the cinema. It instantly became a favourite of mine. I rewatch it from time to time and I can now categorically state that it is the best film I have seen. I cannot explain how the impact of it hasn't diminished but only grown over time. It is beautiful, thoughtful, fascinating, deliberate, utterly devestating and life affirming all at the same time. It is an immaculate work of art.
Yep. Dennis Villeneuve knows how to make a movie. I don't think he's ever made a bad one. Sicario is probably still my favourite of his.

Remove this Banner Ad

Movie What's the last movie you saw? (7)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back