What's the lowest score you've seen a team kick live??

Remove this Banner Ad

Fremantle scored 1.7.13 vs Adelaide in 2009 in what was an absolute joke of a game. Freo never scored in the 2nd quarter and the weather conditions were perfect that night in Adelaide.

Adelaide 19.16.130
Fremantle 1.7.13

IIRC, Port met North again in the SANFL 1990 Prelim Final, and led 17 goals to 1 or 18 goals to 2 at half time.
I don’t know that game - what was the final score?

Port Adelaide missed quite a few easy chances in the 1989 Grand Final and against a better defence than they faced might have kicked a much more inaccurate score than 15 goals 18 (and still easily thrashed Hawthorn or Geelong, mind you), so it’s easy to see that team with its kicking boots on kicking seventeen goals in a half.

There is little doubt to me that the late 1980s Port Adelaide team shaped the direction of AFL football in the 1990s and beyond much more than fans realise. Their super-hard play, analogous to Clive Lloyd’s with the West Indies fifteen years beforehand, became a model for the AFL when emulated by West Coast.

But an honourable mention has to go to another game at Windy Hill that year, a particularly wet and muddy game; where Essendon 3.10 (28) def Footscray 3.5 (23)
Dogs and Bombers also played out a low scoring thriller in the mid 80's at the kennel (I think it was 1984). Both teams were 0.7 at half time, the Bombers scooted clear kicking 3 goals in the 3rd qtr (Dogs were still goalless at 3/4 time), and then the Dogs kicked 3 goals in about 5 minutes to storm home - unfortunately Peter Bradbury kicked a steadier in between these goals and the Dons squeaked home 4.10.34 to 3.14.32.

Dogs and Swans played out a draw at the kennel in 1991 - Dogs kicked 4.11.35 to Sydney's 5.5.35. Dogs were goalless for the entire 2nd half but still didn't lose the game.

Fremantle scored 1.7.13 vs Adelaide in 2009 in what was an absolute joke of a game. Freo never scored in the 2nd quarter and the weather conditions were perfect that night in Adelaide.

Adelaide 19.16.130
Fremantle 1.7.13

I was at that game as well. Wasn't the best game, but offset by the fact I was in one of AAMI Stadium's 'corporate boxes'.

In the SANFL, the lowest score I've witnessed was Glenelg's 3.7 to Centrals 7.8 in round 23 2010 at Playford Alive Oval (the match determined the minor premiership). The conditions were the worst I've ever watched a football game in, and I was one of the lucky ones that scored a grandstand seat. Howling wind and bucketing rain all day. The last goal of the game I remember as the players were that caked in mud no one knew which team had the ball until you saw a player in a glimpse of a Centrals guernsey score.

It remains the lowest score kicked against Centrals, though the Eagles equalled the scoreline earlier this year.

Lowest for me would have been Round 19 1989 at The Kennel.

DOGS 3.5
ESS 7.9

To cap it off the 5 year old bladder couldn't take it and I peed in the back seat of a taxi before home in Broadmeadows.

Mind you, I have played in local teams that failed to bother the scorers. We did have only 14 players though.

Dogs and Bombers also played out a low scoring thriller in the mid 80's at the kennel (I think it was 1984). Both teams were 0.7 at half time, the Bombers scooted clear kicking 3 goals in the 3rd qtr (Dogs were still goalless at 3/4 time), and then the Dogs kicked 3 goals in about 5 minutes to storm home - unfortunately Peter Bradbury kicked a steadier in between these goals and the Dons squeaked home 4.10.34 to 3.14.32.
Have no memories of that game, and there was no television coverage of that game or another one on a dry, very warm, but impossibly windy Anzac Day at Princes Park where no goal was kicked until eleven minutes in to the third quarter, after which the Bombers raced away with three goals either side of the last change to thrash the Blues.
Dogs and Swans played out a draw at the kennel in 1991 - Dogs kicked 4.11.35 to Sydney's 5.5.35. Dogs were goalless for the entire 2nd half but still didn't lose the game.
Remember that one: it was a surprise that Footscray did not get away from the Swans after what they did to Carlton a week earlier. Footscray’s score was the lowest against the Swans for 36 years at the time.
Saw that game too...and the the rain didn't stop all day! Plus the goal was a late one too!

Remembered for the wrong reasons though..!:(
It was Wayne Carey’s debut, that’s what it’s remembered for. I remember listening all day and being very curious about the score, which is the equal eighth lowest since 1919. The goal, kicked by stand-in full foward Mark Scott, was actually not that late: it was in the early part of the third quarter and it looked like Fitzroy might come back and win, but North kicked three of only seven goals for the match in half a quarter.

On his career, Carey would probably rank behind only Leigh Matthews and Haydn Bunton Sr. as the best player ever in really wet conditions, so it’s ironic he had only seven disposals for the game, and in fact did not kick his first goal until his sixth game and North’s biggest-ever win.

I don’t know that game - what was the final score?

Port Adelaide missed quite a few easy chances in the 1989 Grand Final and against a better defence than they faced might have kicked a much more inaccurate score than 15 goals 18 (and still easily thrashed Hawthorn or Geelong, mind you), so it’s easy to see that team with its kicking boots on kicking seventeen goals in a half.

There is little doubt to me that the late 1980s Port Adelaide team shaped the direction of AFL football in the 1990s and beyond much more than fans realise. Their super-hard play, analogous to Clive Lloyd’s with the West Indies fifteen years beforehand, became a model for the AFL when emulated by West Coast.

Port ended up winning by 91 points in that 1990 PF, 28 goals to 14.

I was at that one. Wild thunderstorm at half time, and for a little while they weren't sure whether it would be safe to run on for the second half.
The lowest score I've seen live was at that match. We had one hell of a light show that night. Amon Buchanan was briefly known as Thor after that night.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Shocking Blues!!

I recall Caaaaaaarlton (undisputed 2002 Wooden Spooners)
slotting thier one & only goal at the ol' Western Oval (Whitten Oval) in the driving rain. Can't recall the exact year, but it was an very iffy free kick in front of goal in time on of the last quarter.
Goalkicker: Ex Roo #17 Mark Arceri

The score was 1.10.16 or something like that. I'm sure Carlton die-hards will remember it as it was a very wet, cold and dark afternoon out there.

Was there that day, absolutely putrid weather and the footy wasn't much better.

Thank god for Arceri though, the embarrassment of not kicking a goal for a whole game would of stuck with us for decades.

I have never been lucky enough to see a team kick an historic low score like some of these ones mentioned. I saw the Cats play Carlton at Princes Park when I was a kid, we got belted 3.9.27 to 13.19.97. That's the lowest score I've seen live. More recently, I saw North Melbourne kick 6.3.39 against St Kilda (23.5.143) in 2010. And Melbourne kick 5.11.41 against Geelong (24.13.157) in 2008.

I was a bit young but I dearly wish I'd seen Collingwood kick 2.2.14 against Melbourne in the 1960 Grand Final.

Funny you don't hear Magpies fans mentioning it much as they itemise all the reasons why their club is so wonderful.

I was a bit young but I dearly wish I'd seen Collingwood kick 2.2.14 against Melbourne in the 1960 Grand Final.

Funny you don't hear Magpies fans mentioning it much as they itemise all the reasons why their club is so wonderful.
That score is Collingwood’s lowest since the sixth round of 1900 - for that reason alone it would be great to see in full. The lowest score in a VFL/AFL final since then in 4-10 (34) by West Coast against Sydney in 2004, and no other team since 1928 has been held to three goals in a final. However, it does reflect that Melbourne had a very strong defence in the lowest-scoring season since 1926: only 1,071 points were scored against it in twenty games, the second best since 1920 after Footscray in 1953.

However, one never sees Bulldog fans itemise their powerful 1953 defence: the brilliant Geelong side early in the season showed it was not unbeatable when Neil Tresize kicked eight goals. Nor do Demon fans itemise their 1960 team’s defensive prowess: wet weather was a huge factor in football during the 1950s and in 1963 and 1964.

Al great would be the full game or even highlights of West Coast v Melbourne from Round 1 of 1991 - and by highlights I would not mean goals but the pressure and smothers that make the 1989 SANFL Grand Final so fascinating. North Adelaide had only one set shot at goal all game - and were so nervous it went out on the full! Had the Eagles not given away a 50 metre penalty early in the third quarter they might well have kept Melbourne goalless for the whole game: they were disciplined enough that the incentive to create such a record would not have overwhelmed them in the last quarter and they might instead have put in extra effort to ensure no blunder cost them the record, especially as they were taking control in attack with the unlikely move of Brennan to centre half-forward. In 1989 the SANFL had not adopted the 50-metre penalty, and North actually had four of the old fifteen-metre penalties to one in the Grand Final, so it's interesting to speculate how many really low scores the 1991 Eagles could have held opponents to under the 15-metre penalty rule??

My son's primary school team this year lost a game 23.18 156 to 0.0 0. The following week they lost 34.10 214 to 2.2 14.

Us against Geelong earlier this year. Didn't get a goal until midway in the third quarter.
That was one of the few moments that had my mind excited during the 2012 season - as much as the preliminary and Grand Finals. I was not listening carefully enough unfortunately, but Brisbane took longer to score their first goal than any team since at least 1993 when - ironically against Brisbane - the Swans did not goal until something like seven minutes before three-quarter time and I recall from watching on the television that at one point the Bears had 25 goals to nil or something!

West Coast, still the last team to be goalless at three-quarter time, finally goalled at the 20-minute mark of the last quarter on a Western Oval lake in late 1992.

I can remember one at Windy Hill in the late 1980s where the Bombers won even though they only kicked 3 goals. That game caused a mass pneumonia epidemic.
Went to that game with an Essendon supporter from school. Essendon kicked 3.10 to Footscray 3.5 at windy hill. I loved live football back then and i remember that game being entertaining cause it was close all day.

That was one of the few moments that had my mind excited during the 2012 season - as much as the preliminary and Grand finals. I was not listening carefully enough unfortunately, but Brisbane took longer to score their first goal than any team since at least 1993 when - ironically against Brisbane - the Swans did not goal until something like seven minutes before three-quarter time and I recall from watching on the television that at one point the Bears had 25 goals to nil or something!

West Coast, still the least team to be goalless at three-quarter time, finally goalled at the 20-minute mark of the last quarter on a Western Oval lake in late 1992.
http://stats.rleague.com/afl/stats/games/2009/011120090426.html

This game would've been total bliss. For you.

Remove this Banner Ad

What's the lowest score you've seen a team kick live??

Remove this Banner Ad

Back