What's The Plan For Finn Maginness?

Remove this Banner Ad

I would say Sewell was a B+ player. Very dependable, workman like, had limited skills, but would work his butt off. Frost I would rate as a B+ player. Nash and Worpel, I tend to class them as B+ players, They don’t do anything flashy, but they provide stability, and most of their hard work usually goes unnoticed, I wouldn’t rate Finn as a B+ player currently, I do think that he does have that ability to be in the near future though.
Maginness is a mile away from Sewell, Nash and Worpel at this point.

Also not sure what you mean that their hard work goes unnoticed, Nash and Worpel have been very noticeable this year. Worpel is our highest rated player, leads the club for goal assists and centre clearances. Nash is probably our most versatile midfielder.

I want Finn to make it, I definitely don't hate him, but he's 23 now and he's behind quite a few players in much better form. He's up against it.

Also not sure what you mean that their hard work goes unnoticed, Nash and Worpel have been very noticeable this year. Worpel is our highest rated player, leads the club for goal assists and centre clearances. Nash is probably our most versatile midfielder.

I want Finn to make it, I definitely don't hate him, but he's 23 now and he's behind quite a few players in much better form. He's up against it.
When Sewell broke into the team he was doing simple lockdown roles in defence and in the middle.
It was only later that he balanced that part of his game with his inside work winning the ball.
Skills were never flash tbh but he got the job done most of the time.

When Sewell broke into the team he was doing simple lockdown roles in defence and in the middle.
It was only later that he balanced that part of his game with his inside work winning the ball.
Skills were never flash tbh but he got the job done most of the time.
It's Finn's 5th season in the AFL, he's not even a regular senior. In Sewell's 5th season he won a B&F. Worpel won a B&F in his second season.

The question that needs to be asked with Finn is, at 23 and not a regular part of the seniors, what is the likelihood that he will displace a player in our best 22 in the future, and which player will that be?

At this stage it's the optimistic opinion that he will become a player the calibre of Sewell or Worpel, the reality is that he's unlikely to even get an ongoing chance in the seniors to prove he can get to that level.

The plan with Finn, I would expect, is to keep him as, at the the very least, serviceable depth who will help achieve team goals, until such time as a) his age renders him a list clogger (a few years away) or b) he wants more senior time, and requests a trade.

No, he's not best 22, but best 22 rarely happens (this year we have done quite well...we have able to field, if not best 22, best 22 out best 24-25 more often than not)

When we get more than 3 to 4 injuries to our preferred team, he probably has a role.

The plan with Finn, I would expect, is to keep him as, at the the very least, serviceable depth who will help achieve team goals, until such time as a) his age renders him a list clogger (a few years away) or b) he wants more senior time, and requests a trade.

No, he's not best 22, but best 22 rarely happens (this year we have done quite well...we have able to field, if not best 22, best 22 out best 24-25 more often than not)

When we get more than 3 to 4 injuries to our preferred team, he probably has a role.
I agree with this, though I reckon the age at which he is rendered a list clogger (if he doesn't make regular seniors) may be sooner than many think. Harry is the only person drafted after him on the list who is not playing regular footy, and that may only be by the grace of having signed a 2 year extension off a career best year and Top 10 B&F finish in 2022.

Finn's contract is up in 2025 and at this stage it would be a surprise for him to get an extension.

No Maginness is not up to that level yet. He has the potential to be.

Their Hard work does go unnoticed at times though, what quite often gets overlooked, are the little things they do, that makes their team mates better.

Nash in his developmental years, was tried in various positions, mainly as a forward, with mixed results. Where his inclusion at times was questioned. It really has been the past 2 years that he taken his game to another level. Worpel has also had his up and downs, where this year, his kicking into the forward 50 has improved significantly to what it was in the past. Both Nash and Worpel had shown glimpses of what they could become in their earlier days, it was just being patient with them in doing it more consistently, and tweaking certain parts of their game to make them better.

Finn has also shown glimpses of the type of player he can become. He has shown that he can be an offensive player at various times, rather than just defensive. Once it clicks for him, while learning new positions at Boxhill, he too will make that transition.

No argument here. But he was played in a role that wasn't his best position as an entrance point. Nash was given time to excel in his best position and quickly went from an afterthought to a key cog in the machine.

Worpel fixed his kicking to a ridiculous degree seemingly in the space of one season, and refound himself as a player once they cleaned out dead wood around him.

Worpel's kicking to forwards on the lead is borderline Mackenzie like at times this season.

Finn has elite attributes with his run and athleticism, and great size/toughness. I'm not saying he'll definitely make it, but if he at least develops his strongest current attributes some more he'd have to be a better depth player than most.

Finn is still a work in progress. I'm pretty confident the finished product is going to be a handy clubman at worst.

It's easy to forget that as recently as last year James Worpel was either finished or too limited to be a regular in a good side according to posters on here. He was definitely 'not a good kick'.

There's still a chance Finn becomes the inside midfielder he was in his junior days, in the AFL. As Worpel's season so far proves, midfielders can improve dramatically at almost any age.

Imagine missing out on a Brad Sewell or James Worpel because you didn't give them time to mature and improve their kicking. Finn's approach to footy reminds me a lot of those two. He will be a beast if it all clicks for him.

Will he the Jonathan Simpkin of the rebuild, a solid reliable player, but will spend more time at BH then in the seniors.

But still premiership player

If the roles were reversed, do you think Rowbottom would have played as many games at Hawthorn during that same period. Guaranteed not.
Rowbottom has been the second highest tackler in the league in each of the last 3 seasons.

He’s been immense for Sydney defensively while still offering something going the other way.

Probably the big difference between Rowbottom and Finn is Finn only shuts down one person where Rowbottom just provides constant pressure on the opposition ball carrier at the coal face.

If Finn could put on that sort of constant pressure he’d be in the team as a defensive mid. Instead he struggles to really do much in the contest but really shines with his impressive running power and at sticking to his task.

Rowbottom has been the second highest tackler in the league in each of the last 3 seasons.

He’s been immense for Sydney defensively while still offering something going the other way.

Probably the big difference between Rowbottom and Finn is Finn only shuts down one person where Rowbottom just provides constant pressure on the opposition ball carrier at the coal face.

If Finn could put on that sort of constant pressure he’d be in the team as a defensive mid. Instead he struggles to really do much in the contest but really shines with his impressive running power and at sticking to his task.
Not to mention that we've already got Nash doing a power of work tackling and providing a huge presence at the coal face. There are regular instances where Nasher, through pure size, will body his opponent AND someone else's opponent out of the contest allowing them to get a clean break from stoppage. He can start in the middle and stop a player from there, if required.

The major hurdle for Finn is that we can't start him in the middle. He has to start somewhere else and move on to the dangerous player when play starts back up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think you're spot on. There's been a lot of talk here about Finn coming in this week to blanket Harley but for starters i don't think Harley's good enough (yet) to warrant a tag that may upset our team balance.

Maginness had a good run of form in the second half of last season, at the same time the team ran into some good form.

I don’t buy into the idea that his role in the team impedes our ability to win.

The whole industry was applauding his ability shit down the best mids.

If he asks for a trade I would not blame him, and I doubt we’d refuse.

Maginness had a good run of form in the second half of last season, at the same time the team ran into some good form.

I don’t buy into the idea that his role in the team impedes our ability to win.

The whole industry was applauding his ability shit down the best mids.

If he asks for a trade I would not blame him, and I doubt we’d refuse.

Every time I read about a potential Maginness trade I get Kennedy vibes. Then I comfort myself that if Maginness does go elsewhere and become a super player and win 1 premiership we will win 3.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back