When does the booing of ex-players become petty?

Remove this Banner Ad

Its petty when the club made them leave.

If they choose to leave, theyre free game, especially in the manner of a Tippett or Gunston.

Guys like Bernie Vince, Josh Kennedy etc should NEVER be booed.

I'd add Varcoe as a Geelong example: good servant, had a great career at Geelong, but was an a form/injury slump that had gone pretty much since the 2011 grand final and it was becoming more and more apparent that he was never going to rediscover his lost form while he stayed in the hoops. And equally apparent that our match committee was too chicken shit to drop him, no matter how poorly he played. We got great value for him at the trade table. It was time for all parties to move on. I wish him nothing but the best.

Its probably petty from the start but we all get swept up in it. Nobody likes to see a player you loved whilst they were at your club playing for another club after leaving for more money or similar.

People are far more tolerant when players leave for more opportunity. Eg i wished Gumbleton all the best when he left. I thought Houli was well within his rights to leave as well as he was given very limited opportunities at Essendon given his output.

Players that leave to go home are debatable. For instance i'm a bit ambivalent about Monfries. The overall deal was quite good as well with Goddard coming in via free agency and getting a 3rd rounder which was a good outcome.

Players that leave for money or just because they want to leave you tend not to feel so good about. Eg Crameri and Ryder for us. That said you do get over it as time passes as long as they weren't a truly iconic player for your club. There can be mitigating circumstances eg Where they were a big part of a period of success or they were offered something truly ridiculous in terms of $.

Players that leave because they are old and your club no longer has any positions available in their best 22 for them, you just wish them all the best. Particularly if during their good years they were a part of a successful time. Eg most Geelong supporters still have really good feelings about Chapman from what I've seen.

If I were a Dogs supporter I would be booing the crap out of Griffen and Ward. They basically left because they didn't like the club and went to some new soulless franchise.

I wouldn't boo an ex-player if they were traded against their will/ delisted/ or if they were a premiership player.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No problem with booing of Griffen, walked out of them and had already orchestrated a move to GWS before letting anyone know.

I don't boo, never have, never will. However, what a lot of people may not consider is a lot of football supporters are very loyal to their club. They pour money into the club, some really cannot afford to do that, and what's in it for them? Hopefully to see their team win on the weekend, and maybe even a flag. Then if they win a flag, they pour even more money into the club.

It's a fanatical devotion to the club. So when they see one of their better players just get up and walk out, just to add to their already bloated pay packets, then why shouldn't the supporters boo them? They have no say in anything except to make noise at the football, and this is the only effective forum they have to express their disappointment. Why deny them of their right to do this?

Burgone being boo'ed when back in Adel playing Port I think is a little petty now, been a long time since he left, and sure the reason he left was petty and selfish, so maybe still deserves it but I like him as a player and won't boo him.

Chaplin on the other hand... he could be 83, coaching the Kenyan Cheaters in the now IAFL, and will still be boo'ed when he goes to Adelaide since he is such a dick and douche... that booing will continue forever, and I will join in with that one.

Pearce rarely cops boo's (just the usual ex player ones) as he left the club on good terms and wasn't a dick about it.

Wait until you hear the Boo's Ryder cops when he's here later in the year, The media will be up in arms at how much he cops it lol.

He better not... but then again I suspect the boo's have nothing to do him leaving the club, it has to do with either his race, or the bombers supporters think he is a drug cheat having taken thymosin beta 4 whilst at essendon... at least thats what the media will beat the story up to be :p

Why not boo Peter Gordon and co for forcing him out then forcing the coach out.

The club wouldn't exist if it weren't for Peter Gordon, fair to say it's unlikely he'd be booed

I would of thought Griffen is the poster boy for why players should get booed. He will cop it till he retires.

But I'd be shocked if our fans booed someone like Cooney.

It would be hard to tell if Cooney was being booed as the people shouting Cooooooooooney sound like they are booing anyway.

Remove this Banner Ad

When does the booing of ex-players become petty?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back