When does the booing of ex-players become petty?

Remove this Banner Ad

Let me first say that I'm not intending to pick on Dogs fans, it's just an example, of which there are many, that raises more of a general question on the booing of ex-players.

It struck me watching the Dogs take on the Giants over the weekend that the incessant booing of Ryan Griffen's every touch, whilst somewhat expected, at the same time seemed a bit..unnecessary.

I understand that the circumstances in which Griffen left the club have left a sour taste - captain of the club who phones them up whilst away on a hunting trip to inform them of his decision to leave. Something of a "back door" exit which fans never take kindly to.

But if we simplify his crime, he was no longer enjoying his job, so he changed jobs. He decided to move to the same club as another ex-Dog in Callan Ward who seems to have all but entirely escaped the same kind of scrutiny. Again acknowledging the differing circumstances, but are they that different?

In the interviews I've seen with Griffen, he seems like a decent enough bloke. Perhaps not as forthright as he could've been in the end, but does the extent of his crime deserve an entire four quarters of booing? He's given the club and its fans a lot of years of enjoyment and extracted the most out of his ability in that time. Surely the first two or three boos would've gotten the message across.

I understand it's all part of the theatre. I further understand the emotion can take hold. If Geelong were playing at the G this year, I can't promise I wouldn't boo Mitch Clark til my throat was hoarse. Circumstances do matter. But on reflection, these guys are pawns who can be disposed of as quickly as they were drafted. Do they really deserve it? It can't be a great feeling to run around and have tens of thousands of people from the club that has formed such a big part of your life express in no uncertain terms their ill-will towards you.

So my question is, when does the booing of ex-players become petty?
It's petty if the club traded them away eg Steven Gilgamesh, Tom murphy for Hawks.

It's justifed if it seems like the player stabbed your club in the back eg franklin, Gunston

Burgoyne still gets boo'd and has been at the Hawks for 6 years also helped give Port there first AFL Flag.
Doesn't worry me because it seems to make him play better.
I done a 180 on him after his classy post GF speech last year.

I have noticed that Essendon supporters have stopped booing Houli. :thumbsu:
The Port booing of Chaplin is amusing.
That's cause he's a campaigner. Many of your supporters have realised it too.

I like a good boo in these circs. I thing the players who leave expect it so don't mind.

The one bit I find odd is when a player is delisted, takes another offer and still gets a boo. What's that about?

Maybe I am different to the average run of the mill supporter, but I have been to hundreds of games of VFL / AFL over the past 45 years and I have never felt the need to boo anyone. Maybe I am naïve, but I am there at the game to admire, cheer and be entertained by the great players ... not to boo them.

It just seems all so negative, childish and puerile and TBH an inane waste of time and energy !!!

Pretty much feel the same.

Remove this Banner Ad

When does the booing of ex-players become petty?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back