When does the booing of ex-players become petty?

Remove this Banner Ad

Judd booing has died down when Carlton play at Subi, still little patches but much quieter than it was in 2008 onwards. Not bothered if it's petty or not, if you've injured or decked an Eagles player in recent seasons you're getting booed. If you're a ******, you're getting booed. Simple as that.

Not playing for eagles/freo, thats a booing
Get a free kick, thats a booing
Win a quarter, you best believe thats a booing.

The Ryan Griffin thing I get.it was to be expected. Fair enough. If it's still happening in three or four years then it will be petty.

But the booing of Callan Ward - for the first time in 4 years since he left? That was more than a bit petty and bordering on the pathetic. They didn't boo him for the first three years after he left. Why boo him now? Even the Scully boos have died off a lot now that time has passed.
He didn't play at Docklands for the first 3 years after he left, but whatever. 'Pathetic' it is.

I didn't boo him, because it's almost entirely our fault that he is gone and it's hard to begrudge a 21 year old taking an offer like that. I like the guy, and still enjoy watching him play.

But I can hardly blame anyone that does boo him. He was our best young player on good money, and he lowered his colours in his last few games for us before walking out the door.

It was just the example on the weekend that drew it back to my attention. Not the booing so much as the extent of it.

The Doggies are in a pretty good place now I would've thought. I just think there's a bigger picture that no longer includes Griffen.

More about the broader question though.

Fair enough. I know where you are coming from, but IMO, supporters of all clubs should have been turning up to 'Boo' Griffen on the weekend and even then it still wouldn't have been enough.....

And yes, we've moved on from a footballing perspective.

dogs fans still boo nathan brown in the commentary box... wallace too!

small club syndrome..
Not sure if you remember the circumstances in which Wallet (sorry, Wallace) left the club but they weren't the best. The feeling was that he abandoned the club when the going got a bit tough and he left us in a bit of a hole. Judas (aka Brown) left us to play finals at Richmond. That didn't work out too well for him but again, it was also the way he went about it. When a player walks away from a club, it's always hard to take at first but as supporters, we soon move on. Of course, if your captain and best player decided to leave in the same way Griffin did, you would politely applaud him when you next played his new team...
When the player had been moved on from your team, through no fault of their own, you don't boo- that's when it becomes petty. For example you didn't hear the dogs fans booing Daniel Cross last weekend and you never will.

Yep, Griffen wanted out while still contracted and captain of the club, a complete campaigners act.

He had an absolute stinker on the weekend, when the going got tough Griff did sweet FA. Obviously you're better off without a mentally fragile player like that leading your club anyway so in the end perhaps it was the best outcome for all, yet that still doesn't excuse the fact that what he did was pretty much as unAustralian as it gets - leave your mates hanging when the going gets tough. Deserves all he gets off the WB fans, boo him for the rest of his career i say.

Not sure if you remember the circumstances in which Wallet (sorry, Wallace) left the club but they weren't the best. The feeling was that he abandoned the club when the going got a bit tough and he left us in a bit of a hole. Judas (aka Brown) left us to play finals at Richmond. That didn't work out too well for him but again, it was also the way he went about it. When a player walks away from a club, it's always hard to take at first but as supporters, we soon move on. Of course, if your captain and best player decided to leave in the same way Griffin did, you would politely applaud him when you next played his new team...
When the player had been moved on from your team, through no fault of their own, you don't boo- that's when it becomes petty. For example you didn't hear the dogs fans booing Daniel Cross last weekend and you never will.
i find booing of players a bit childish really... sure give them shit or take the piss when they stuff up but boo?? reminds me of booing a baddie in the WWF.

At the end of the day every club have players from other clubs, some were pushed out some left for money and others wanted to come home, one reason is not more holy than another. If rance leaves the game to be a full time Jehovahs witness and one day knocks at my door should I boo him when i open it? I don't get booing and I never will.

Judd booing has died down when Carlton play at Subi, still little patches but much quieter than it was in 2008 onwards. Not bothered if it's petty or not, if you've injured or decked an Eagles player in recent seasons you're getting booed. If you're a ******, you're getting booed. Simple as that.
Question to West Coast fans, when Judd retires will he be remembered as a hero of the club in the same vein that Matera, Jackovich, Mckenna, Kemp, Cox and the other premiership guns of the club are?

Don't really understand the booing of ex players. Sure if something eventuates during the game I can understand it but probably still wouldn't participate. Just seems a bit childish to boo someone for essentially changing the colour of their clothes.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

West Coast supporters booed Judd after he left and he was a major factor in them winning a flag in 2006 so it's not surprising Griffin got booed when he walked out on the Dogs at a low ebb and was their captain.

It might be petty but supporters have every right to boo an ex-player if they feel like it, personally I wouldn't boo Goddard or Dal Santo as they gave great service to St Kilda and I can understand their reasons for leaving.

Question to West Coast fans, when Judd retires will he be remembered as a hero of the club in the same vein that Matera, Jackovich, Mckenna, Kemp, Cox and the other premiership guns of the club are?
He will for me, think that's a fairly even split amongst fans though.

Don't get why you'd boo Burgoyne. Great player, more than did his job.
Time for some to move on already.
Chaplin however.....

I think this, unintentionally, sums up a lot of it.

Players get booed until a new 'villain' comes along, however justified, (or more usually, not), it might be.

Pretty sure Freo supporters still boo Judd. Mind you, they have never forgiven his knock on Pav so it could be because of that, as well as being an ex Eagle and an outright superstar.

Let's just say we have long memories :D

lolly popolicious. just music to my ears.. the utter lack of support by fans due to a scornful play by the players.

Blessed be those who dutifully support their players and then get burned because the players choose to 'suck it up'
and then get burned because they walk a fumbly line.

The law of the land is that the supporters are always able to tell their players to 'f' off because they wander around by themselves.

And so they do. It is a team and teams go together and not pass themselves off as entire superstars.

Dogs fans have every right to rip shreds off Griffen he walked out in a very low point for them which is pathetic from not only a club leader but their captain for ****sake.
Yeah, he should have stayed somewhere where he was hating life for the sake of those lovely supporters.
Give fans one home game to vent their spleen, after that they are just emphasising the miniscule size of their brains.

Remove this Banner Ad

When does the booing of ex-players become petty?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back