• Wing

Votes: 30 43.5%
  • Forward

Votes: 22 31.9%
  • Back

Votes: 1 1.4%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

If we took Jesse we wouldn't of got 2MP and I love that big Ranga here he is being good enough to get a pic with my eldest ( not a bad size for 12, and he's the shortest of my 3) after that crushing GWS loss, I'm sure it was the last thing he wanted to do but that's the quality of the guy.

Jesse would of asked him for a ***.

Note thanks to SUNS for getting us there for This pic to happen :thumbsu::thumbsu:

View attachment 359638
Good size young lad. Has he any experience at CHB...we could use him this weekend?

https://www.sbs.com.au/news/martin-clear-on-preferred-suns-role

Jack wants to be a forward and I think we're all starting to realise that is his best position. It's a bit of a shame because we are bereft of high quality mids at the moment but that's the way the cookie crumbles sometimes. I'm sure he'll continue to push up the ground for most of his career but at this stage I think he's cementing his place as a half forward.

https://www.sbs.com.au/news/martin-clear-on-preferred-suns-role

Jack wants to be a forward and I think we're all starting to realise that is his best position. It's a bit of a shame because we are bereft of high quality mids at the moment but that's the way the cookie crumbles sometimes. I'm sure he'll continue to push up the ground for most of his career but at this stage I think he's cementing his place as a half forward.
I watched a lot of Martin as an underager in WA ( State Schoolboys and U16s). He always played as a high leaping marking CHF. He was very elusive and got around the ground etc. He completely dominated - hence his early drafting.
I'm not surprised he considers himself a forward given that was his earliest role.
I think at AFL level people thought him undersized and looked to turn him into a midfielder.
Doesn't pay to change what comes natural - happy for him to play as a regular forward (we have so few of them).

I watched a lot of Martin as an underager in WA ( State Schoolboys and U16s). He always played as a high leaping marking CHF. He was very elusive and got around the ground etc. He completely dominated - hence his early drafting.
I'm not surprised he considers himself a forward given that was his earliest role.
I think at AFL level people thought him undersized and looked to turn him into a midfielder.
Doesn't pay to change what comes natural - happy for him to play as a regular forward (we have so few of them).
Likewise but he's just so ridiculously talented that almost every position comes naturally to him. A good annoyance to have for him but it results in him being used everywhere.

Sent from my MHA-L09 using Tapatalk

Likewise but he's just so ridiculously talented that almost every position comes naturally to him. A good annoyance to have for him but it results in him being used everywhere.

Sent from my MHA-L09 using Tapatalk
Maybe time for Martin to settle into a permanent role and stop being used as Mr Fixit.
Hopefully Dew takes Martin's views on board and builds others' roles to fit around Martin - given what he offers us abilitywise (team building 101)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I understand the need for this thread, but I think it has become apparent that he's better forward. As we begin to get our best forward 6 together and the midfield transitions to accomodate Ainsworth and Brodie, the best place for Martin is in the forward half. If Dew can shoehorn Lynch, Wright, Day, Ah Chee, Lemmens and Martin into the forward line it will be the most potent in Suns history. Martin's broken play nous, especially in combination with Ah Chee and Lemmens, can create opportunities from nothing and capitalise on inside 50s. If necessary, Martin can be switched to the wing to provide better delivery into the forward line, or defence where he can help stem the flow if things are going against - don't forget no May or Hall this month.

I understand the need for this thread, but I think it has become apparent that he's better forward. As we begin to get our best forward 6 together and the midfield transitions to accomodate Ainsworth and Brodie, the best place for Martin is in the forward half. If Dew can shoehorn Lynch, Wright, Day, Ah Chee, Lemmens and Martin into the forward line it will be the most potent in Suns history. Martin's broken play nous, especially in combination with Ah Chee and Lemmens, can create opportunities from nothing and capitalise on inside 50s. If necessary, Martin can be switched to the wing to provide better delivery into the forward line, or defence where he can help stem the flow if things are going against - don't forget no May or Hall this month.
No Sexton? In your forward 6.

No Sexton? In your forward 6.
My best forward 6 would probably Lynch in the NEAFL and Sexton playing as a pressure forward around Martin, Day and Wright, but it won't happen. Lemmens and MacPherson together as pressure forwards gave Geelong's young defence tremendous trouble in the preseason, but on Saturday night an equally undermanned Cats defence was able to get out of defensive 50 easily every time the Suns failed to trouble the scorer.

In a good team he plays forward and would dominate. At the moment I don't think he's been utilised to the best of his ability. Less than a mark a game inside 50 and a DE of 62% is an indictment on someone as talented as him. We recruited Young to play high HF and drafted Ah Chee as a small forward. Sexton can't play anywhere else but up forward. Add Lynch, Day, Wright as the talls. Time for him to be better utilised up the ground and get involved more.

In a good team he plays forward and would dominate. At the moment I don't think he's been utilised to the best of his ability. Less than a mark a game inside 50 and a DE of 62% is an indictment on someone as talented as him. We recruited Young to play high HF and drafted Ah Chee as a small forward. Sexton can't play anywhere else but up forward. Add Lynch, Day, Wright as the talls. Time for him to be better utilised up the ground and get involved more.
That works too, although I don't think you are being fair with those stats because forwards rarely have good disposal efficiency figures. Young's injury isn't serious, so you have to ask whether he was serious or just came off to avoid having to go back out. I hope not, but sometimes I see Young as the old Port before the made it back to finals, snatching defeat from the jaws of victory and being accustomed to floggings.
A dark horse to come into the forward line is Connor Nutting, whose defensive pressure and closing speed would suit Dew's blueprint. Nutting has been playing out of defence a lot, though he has also played well forward. Wil Powell is the obvious choice, but I really don't believe he's ready for AFL and as much as he's compared to Jack Martin, remember how Jack's debut played out?

That works too, although I don't think you are being fair with those stats because forwards rarely have good disposal efficiency figures. Young's injury isn't serious, so you have to ask whether he was serious or just came off to avoid having to go back out. I hope not, but sometimes I see Young as the old Port before the made it back to finals, snatching defeat from the jaws of victory and being accustomed to floggings.
A dark horse to come into the forward line is Connor Nutting, whose defensive pressure and closing speed would suit Dew's blueprint. Nutting has been playing out of defence a lot, though he has also played well forward. Wil Powell is the obvious choice, but I really don't believe he's ready for AFL and as much as he's compared to Jack Martin, remember how Jack's debut played out?
To be honest I'm sick of your over positives assessment on some GCs players. If they are all good where all this trashing come from.

Last edited:
Please God no more dark horses
We have 12 games to go and there will come a point where the guy is going to deserve a guernsey. At the beginning of the year I had hoped we wouldn't be blooding any of the 2017 Draft Class, yet here we are with people willing to throw Wil Powell to the wolves. I'm fairly sure you don't want Schoenfeld coming in.

[
We have 12 games to go and there will come a point where the guy is going to deserve a guernsey. At the beginning of the year I had hoped we wouldn't be blooding any of the 2017 Draft Class, yet here we are with people willing to throw Wil Powell to the wolves. I'm fairly sure you don't want Schoenfeld coming in.
Because Nutting show nothing in NeAfl that convince me he deserve to play Afl compare to Powell , as for Schoenfield ,gCs already signed him until 2020 So no choice but hope he turn good .
NEAFL
BEST – Gold Coast: M Barlow W Powell B Scheer J Scrimshaw M Spencer B Crossley

Malceski said there were plenty of contributors across the park that got the job done.

“Mick Barlow I thought was super, he had plenty of the footy and really led the boys – at half-time he challenged them,” he said.

“I also thought Wil Powell had his best game for the club aswell. We just had good contributions from everyone.”

Last edited:
[

Because Nutting show nothing in NeAfl that convince me he deserve to play Afl compare to Powell , as for Schoenfield ,gCs already signed him until 2020 So no choice but hope he turn good .
NEAFL
BEST – Gold Coast: M Barlow W Powell B Scheer J Scrimshaw M Spencer B Crossley

Malceski said there were plenty of contributors across the park that got the job done.

“Mick Barlow I thought was super, he had plenty of the footy and really led the boys – at half-time he challenged them,” he said.

“I also thought Wil Powell had his best game for the club aswell. We just had good contributions from everyone.”
Powell is lucky to be breaking 70+ kilos he is no where near ready for AFL. Let him keep developing before he gets his go. I'm happy for him to play all year in the NEAFL

Back