Where does Marcus Bontempelli sit in the players of this era

Remove this Banner Ad

Bont has been consistently elite for years now. His best doesn’t match the peak seasons of Danger, Judd or Martin but been more consistent than them over the journey.

GAJ and Buddy are head and shoulders above everyone else. Depending on how long Bont goes from here might end up pushing alongside Judd (who’d be third currently) with his longevity

Last edited:
I mean what would all the players know?

You're genuinely getting annoyed that the players who actually play the game think someone had a more valuable year than you do. Just think about that for a moment.

The players know a lot less than the coaches and umpires.

Tell me how 3 MVPs but 0 Brownlows and 1 coaches award make sense. Like some other poster said it’s just a “vibe” award. It’s not done per round. Hence why I believe it is based on rep on previous years like AA awards.

He also got 6th in this years coaches award. Says everything. That’s as bad a Neale winning the Brownlow without making the AA team last year.

Last edited:

Tell me how 3 MVPs but 0 Brownlows and 1 coaches award make sense. Like some other poster said it’s just a “vibe” award. It’s not done per round. Hence why I believe it is based on rep on previous years like AA awards.

He also got 6th in this years coaches award. Says everything. That’s as bad a Neale winning the Brownlow without making the AA team last year.
I understand that Bont hasn’t won a Brownlow but he’s already had two seasons worthy of it. The umpires handing Neale 3 votes in a mediocre 20 disposal effort doesn’t diminish Bont as a player.

By the end of his career, it’s looking likely that Bont will have the all time most Brownlow votes. Why should his standing be diminished because he hasn’t won one?

I understand that Bont hasn’t won a Brownlow but he’s already had two seasons worthy of it. The umpires handing Neale 3 votes in a mediocre 20 disposal effort doesn’t diminish Bont as a player.

By the end of his career, it’s looking likely that Bont will have the all time most Brownlow votes. Why should his standing be diminished because he hasn’t won one?

I don’t think Bonts 3rd MVP changed his standing in the game tbh. He hasn’t moved up to the Dusty, Judd, Ablett, Buddy tier.

Which tells you subconsciously people don’t actually rate the MVP as 3 out of those 4 players have less MVPs than him.

Another thing is the players see Bont in person 1 or 2 times a year. And from what I’ve heard, players don’t watch footy on TV much.

This is why I don’t rate the MVP award. It’s legit a vibe award and players just like you yourself said, thinks he “deserves” a Brownlow and most likely plays a part in their voting.

“Players know a lot less than the umpires”

Will Ferrell Lol GIF

He’s the best all around player in the game and has been for a while. Can do it all. Wins the ball in the contest, applies defensive pressure, does all the little 1% things, kicks goals, one of the best field kicks in the league, bursts out of stoppages, takes contested marks at both ends, and leads the team from the front.

Going to go down as one of the best to do it this century.

Right here summarised is just hatred of a damaging gun player at a big club compared to a vanilla all rounder like bont at a welfare club that has taken over 100 million from the AFL across a decade.

Simply a non threatening nothing club which is why he is
I don’t think Bonts 3rd MVP changed his standing in the game tbh. He hasn’t moved up to the Dusty, Judd, Ablett, Buddy tier.

Which tells you subconsciously people don’t actually rate the MVP as 3 out of those 4 players have less MVPs than him.

Another thing is the players see Bont in person 1 or 2 times a year. And from what I’ve heard, players don’t watch footy on TV much.

This is why I don’t rate the MVP award. It’s legit a vibe award and players just like you yourself said, thinks he “deserves” a Brownlow and most likely plays a part in their voting.
The players might not watch Bont on TV, but they have to deal with him on field, up close and personal.
The Brownlow is the Mickey Mouse award, the MVP has much more prestige.

The players might not watch Bont on TV, but they have to deal with him on field, up close and personal.
The Brownlow is the Mickey Mouse award, the MVP has much more prestige.

So you won't be happy if Bont wins a Brownlow because you've said it's a Mickey Mouse award.

All of these awards - Brownlow, MVP, AFLCA Player of the Year.....they are all "opinion awards".....they aren't going to be 100% accurate.

You do know Bont has the same number of 3 vote games as Dusty, but has played 69 less eligible games? He is a beast.

I can’t remember who said it on here but they reckon Bont is the best ever contested mark they’ve seen for a mid besides maybe Fyfe.

Well maybe you need to take another look because since the stat was recorded Dusty has the BEST EVER OFFENSIVE 1v1 win rate @ 49%. Head and shoulders above the rest of the whole comp, not just the midfielders.

Bont is @ 39% which is still very strong.

Bontempelli averages 3.97 marks per game. He averages 0.68 contested marks per game.

Fyfe averages 4.07 marks per game. He averages 1.28 contested marks per game.

Martin averaged 3.87 marks per game. He averaged 0.57 contested marks per game.

Dangerfield - averages 3.83 marks per game. He averages 0.91 contested marks per game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bontempelli averages 3.97 marks per game. He averages 0.68 contested marks per game.

Fyfe averages 4.07 marks per game. He averages 1.28 contested marks per game.

Martin averaged 3.87 marks per game. He averaged 0.57 contested marks per game.

Dangerfield - averages 3.83 marks per game. He averages 0.91 contested marks per game.

The stat says “Offensive 1v1 contested marks” which I guess may be just inside f50 contested instead of overall.

This might have been an argument 15-20 years ago. But how much video analysis do you think players do leading up to games now?

They would do a hell of a lot of studying of all players looking for ways to quell their impact. It's part of the job.

The best player of this era

He is a prototype big bodied midfielder but one of, if not the only only who is a natural footballer as well

I’m starting to think the MVP is worse than the Brownlow and AAs. He’s getting these based on rep from previous years.

Daicos, Heeney, Cripps have been better and more influential this year.

I don’t think anybody on BF would take Bont over these 3 apart from Dogs supporters.

Probably a troll post, but regardless, you would be wrong.

Right here summarised is just hatred of a damaging gun player at a big club compared to a vanilla all rounder like bont at a welfare club that has taken over 100 million from the AFL across a decade.

Simply a non threatening nothing club which is why he is admired.
You do understand that Geelong is the biggest welfare club in the league and get to play their home games on that Government Funded Toy Stadium with No Wings

Pork Barrel Park (previously Kardinia) has had more government handouts to prop up the Welfare Cats.

Best 'western bulldogs' player of all time. Could be best Footscray but I didn't see Whitten.

Does it all- and doesn't overcelebrate either!

Much, much, much better player than Lachie neale

You do understand that Geelong is the biggest welfare club in the league and get to play their home games on that Government Funded Toy Stadium with No Wings

Pork Barrel Park (previously Kardinia) has had more government handouts to prop up the Welfare Cats.
Indeed.

Over $340m has come from State and Federal govt handouts over the last two decades.

However, we must never, never, never let the facts get in the way of Geelong Entitlement.

Remove this Banner Ad

Where does Marcus Bontempelli sit in the players of this era

Remove this Banner Ad

Back