Where does Marcus Bontempelli sit in the players of this era

Remove this Banner Ad

The "Lethal" is a popularity award, but like the Brownlow sometimes it is right. The Norm is sometimes right too, but not in 2016. Boyd and Bont were better than Johanessen.

Bontempelli is super consistent, plays well in big games, and is likeable. He's a great athlete with few peers, skills out the wazoo (high tier in a bunch of different areas) and gets recognition in a less fashionable (although at the moment very watchable) side.

Sometimes consistency costs a player. Dusty is dynamite (best big game player we've seen), but his peak games are thrown into high relief by his meh games.

Players that always front up like Bont do get taken for granted sometimes. His consistency is pretty amazing.

Hawkins? Whitten? Might be a bit premature, but he's on track.
Not premature against Hawkins. We all love the Hawk, but Bont is miles ahead of him, both with observation and record. Bont has played in a much better era for the club.
His record with EJ is surprisingly similar. Both won best and fairest’s as 21 year olds in the premiership season. Both captained another grand final a few years later. Multiple best and fairests.

Hawkins? Whitten? Might be a bit premature, but he's on track.
I'm old enough to have seen Whitten and all who've come after him.

Whitten and Bont are equals for me.
That will change if the Dogs win another flag in Bont's time.

They are a fair way in front of Grant, Hawkins, Johnson et al.

From what I gather I think he’s overrated and completely overhyped and I’d say Jack Billing’s over him in a close one

I base all my opinions from only watching the best in the business in Cooper Grech from AFL information trade rumours and results Youtube channel and podcasts.

Last edited:
The players know a lot less than the coaches and umpires.

Tell me how 3 MVPs but 0 Brownlows and 1 coaches award make sense. Like some other poster said it’s just a “vibe” award. It’s not done per round. Hence why I believe it is based on rep on previous years like AA awards.

Seeing you respect the Brownlow so much, Bont averages the third most votes per game out of all current players. The two ahead are Fyfe and Danger, I suspect they won't be in front after this years count.

He currently has the 23rd most Brownlow votes of all time. After this years count he will be top 15. He's 28 years old.

He also has the most coaches votes over the last 5 years.

Seeing you respect the Brownlow so much, Bont averages the third most votes per game out of all current players. The two ahead are Fyfe and Danger, I suspect they won't be in front after this years count.

He currently has the 23rd most Brownlow votes of all time. After this years count he will be top 15. He's 28 years old.

He will just turn around and tell you that Ollie wines or Tom Mitchell beat him so he can’t be any good.

His average will go down as he gets older. Lemme know what he finishes up with and I’ll get back to you.

I think he's 30 next year. So we’ve most likely seen the last of Bonts CV apart from maybe an AA/B&F or something.

His average will go down as he gets older. Lemme know what he finishes up with and I’ll get back to you.

I think he's 30 next year. So we’ve most likely seen the last of Bonts CV apart from maybe an AA/B&F or something.

Yeah coz you have to go all the way back to 2023 to find the last time a 30 year old won a Brownlow medal

I’m starting to think the MVP is worse than the Brownlow and AAs. He’s getting these based on rep from previous years.

Daicos, Heeney, Cripps have been better and more influential this year.

I don’t think anybody on BF would take Bont over these 3 apart from Dogs supporters.
AA's & Brownlow have been irrelevant for a while, but Bontempelli is one player I would like to see win the Brownlow & would be a deserving winner.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Majority of the responses in this thread sing his praise, and a lot of these people are opposition supporters.

Says it all really. He is our best Bulldog of all time.

While I agree with him being an absolute champion, i really hate people proclaiming players as the best of all time. Mainly because we haven't witnessed all time.

Not a personal dig at you

Sent from my SM-S928B using Tapatalk

While I agree with him being an absolute champion, i really hate people proclaiming players as the best of all time. Mainly because we haven't witnessed all time.

Not a personal dig at you

Sent from my SM-S928B using Tapatalk
Yo, 00Stinger, I'm really happy for you, I'mma let you finish. But Bontempelli's had one of the best careers of all time!

Bont should have a norm to compliment his multiple All Australians, best and fairests and players' mvp. Went at 90% d.e. on a day when nobody could hit a barn door and constantly bit off corridor kicks that few others were attempting. He was awesome.

Yo, 00Stinger, I'm really happy for you, I'mma let you finish. reersBut Bontempelli's had one of the best ca of all time!
the bolded is not what I was arguing though

One of the best careers of all time, no doubt

Remove this Banner Ad

Where does Marcus Bontempelli sit in the players of this era

Remove this Banner Ad

Back