Where is Monfries at?

Remove this Banner Ad

He plays for frees and seems to get more than anyone in the comp...Drops his centre of gravity and takes it high all the time (like wanga used to). Gave us a great memory this year as his effort against Saints probably got us over the line. Needs to improve his consistancy though:rolleyes:

I think he's closing the gap on the thing that i'm most concerned about and that's his strength and repeat efforts.

I never thought he had it in him to physically compete in the AFL on a regular basis as I was thinking he's a man in boys body.

I'm still not sure if he has the skills and tricks to be anything more than what he's shown.

Interesting to see his possession count down this year from last yet we've become a better team and got it in 50 more often.

Quite often the barometer of the team.

As soon as Angus was getting chopped up by Johncock and co. you could see that we were in for a rough night.

The Carlton NAB Cup game in 2007 gave me hope for his development as a midfielder.

Sadly, I'm not sure we're ever gonna see it.

Just does enough to keep his head above water and has a good game once a month to restore everyones faith but overall doesnt do enough when we need him to. Too slow, reflexes arent great, seems to be a slow thinker on the ground ie. takes forever to pass off and is constantly diving and hoping for a free. Doesnt have a great bag of tricks for a permanant HFF. Probably a fair chance he'll be best on next match now.

Still hasnt changed my opinion. One of the most frustrating footballers we have on the list. His spot is fairly safe though.

Still hasnt changed my opinion. One of the most frustrating footballers we have on the list. His spot is fairly safe though.

Agreed. While he has shown more this year and has impressed me this year at times with his efforts at winning the contested ball, he still goes missing far too easily.

And his diving is still disgusting, although he didn't have them awarded as much this year.

Had a good 2010, i think he can be an important small half forward flanker type of player.

he has a good kick at goal and has a good mark, he tends to mirror the team in preformance, when we win he is always amounst the best

I don't think this point can be under sold. How many small forwards in the comp play well when their teams are getting beaten convincingly? Le Cras is the only exception I can think of.

Small forward is the hardest position to play on the ground as you rely a lot on other players in your team to be in the game. He was ordinary against Adelaide, but did he really have a chance to be good considering we had 32 inside 50's, and most of them were scrambled?

If we can move towards 12-14 wins next year and he has the same outcome as this year (he should be aiming for 40+ goals), we should look at trading him to GC 17 for a good draft pick or a 3 way trade.

Inconsistent.

Inconsistant because he only really plays the one roll. This is either because:

a) he's unable to play anywhere other than lead up small forward, which drastically limits his ability to be consistent if the side isn't going well.

b) the coaching staff's inability to try to add more strings to his bow. Through the midfield, half back / small defender. Might sound stupid but we wouldn't know because neither Sheedy or Knights have tried him.

Has some ripper games, then does nothing for a couple of weeks. Needs to do it more often.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He's no Boris yet, but I rate him as one of our key attacking players in the F50.

Anyone suggesting he should be traded has rocks in their head..

Thing is they wont...so meh.

You have McKinley's and your Le Cras's. Currently Monfries sits between them. Lets hope he can become more like Le Cras in 2010. He wants a midfield role, time to work for it.

So if West Coast offered pick 7 for him you wouldn't consider it???

It's interesting you mention that Don. Was just reading before about the Eagle's interest in a young small forward from Subiaco called Trent Dennis-Lane who has ripped it up all season for Subi.

The 20 year old missed out on AFL draft selection a few year ago but has found his place in Subi's side this season and has become one of their most important players in their forward 50 kicking a bag of goals.

The Lions on the weekend made it through to the WAFL GF again and are going for 4 in a row. Alot of recruiters will be watching the young gun..

Would I trade Angus for pick 7? No.

So I guess that makes him worth.... Pick 1, 2 or at worst 3 by your reckoning???

Monfries has just had his best season for us and was the catalyst for two of our best wins for the season - Hawthorn and St Kilda - and he's not yet 23 years old and is also closing in on 100games.

Not worth risking picking up a dud in the draft (a talent skinny draft by all reckoning) when Monfries best years are ahead of him.

Monfries has just had his best season for us and was the catalyst for two of our best wins for the season - Hawthorn and St Kilda - and he's not yet 23 years old and is also closing in on 100games.

Not worth risking picking up a dud in the draft (a talent skinny draft by all reckoning) when Monfries best years are ahead of him.

Jesus... He's even valuable than pick 1 in the draft... We have an absolute super star on our hands here. Sorry I didn't realise he was that good.

Tom Scully or Angus Monfries......

No why would you trade him, he is coming into his own and will be a very good player. Pick 7 could be hit or miss atleast with him you have a hit already on the list

Correct. Why trade him now? I can just see that if he was traded and the pick we got for him was used on a kid who turned out to be a dud, the backlash on BF would be amazing. We built him, let's keep him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Where is Monfries at?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back