Where the improvement will come from?

Remove this Banner Ad

http://m.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl...ay-from-waverley/story-fni5f8ge-1227116915142

Apparently King Al Clarkson (KAC )has gone over to England to study the training facilities ,resources and coaching/management techniques used in the EPL . Not sure if This is a typo,but the Hawks are looking to spend $35 million to gain that extra edge on the rest on this training dacility
King Al Clarkson wants to be more of an EPL club manager and be a delegator to at least 10-15 sub coaches
For us to compete with the top sides and to actually improve are our facilities and coaching team up to or better than the standards of our opponents?? it is really quite frightening how much Hawthorn and KAC really want to succeed. He wants them to be a mini ManU and SirAlex type.
We can improve as much as we like within ourselves as a whole, but unless our improvement rate is greater than our opponents we will just be making up numbers,
This to me is our real issue where improvement is needed

Last edited:
http://m.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl...ay-from-waverley/story-fni5f8ge-1227116915142

Apparently King Al Clarkson (KAC )has gone over to England to study the training facilities ,resources and coaching/management techniques used in the EPL . Not sure if This is a typo,but the Hawks are looking to spend $35 million to gain that extra edge on the rest on this training dacility
King Al Clarkson wants to be more of an EPL club manager and be a delegator to at least 10-15 sub coaches
For us to compete with the top sides and to actually improve are our facilities and coaching team up to or better than the standards of our opponents?? it is really quite frightening how much Hawthorn and KAC really want to succeed. He wants them to be a mini ManU and SirAlex type.
We can improve as much as we like within ourselves as a whole, but unless our improvement rate is greater than our opponents we will just be making up numbers,
The new tax on football department spending will make it difficult for them to fully achieve this.

1) you are aware coaches of all clubs have been doing these visits for years?

2) as you noted , the key is what that number actually includes. Does it include player wages? Does it include infrastructure costs? How big a like for like increase is it?

Fwiw I haven't looked into this math, so they are genuine questions to the journo. Given the current crap standard of footy journos however, I would not be shocked if this is just a shit journo repeating what the Hawks pr pic told them

1) you are aware coaches of all clubs have been doing these visits for years?

2) as you noted , the key is what that number actually includes. Does it include player wages? Does it include infrastructure costs? How big a like for like increase is it?

Fwiw I haven't looked into this math, so they are genuine questions to the journo. Given the current crap standard of footy journos however, I would not be shocked if this is just a shit journo repeating what the Hawks pr pic told them
Not really the point of the OP here

Not really the point of the OP here

No it's directly in response to an article with SFA substance behind it

My post wasn't against you, or your agenda. This article was yet another example of weak as shit footy journalism that people such as yourself put way too much faith into

No it's directly in response to an article with SFA substance behind it

My post wasn't against you, or your agenda. This article was yet another example of weak as shit footy journalism that people such as yourself put way too much faith into
It probably is,but it was giving an example what our foes maybe thinking

Last edited:
He's it probably is,but it was giving an example what our foes maybe thinking

Don't disagree with that, but in the new era of the footy ops tax, there will be a big gulf between reality and rhetoric. We already see this in clubs talking about the salary cap. People here wet themselves when clubs talk about spending up to the top of the cap, but the cap between the min and the max is just $800k

Just like penis's, footy spending isn't about how big it is, but rather it's about where you put it

Don't disagree with that, but in the new era of the footy ops tax, there will be a big gulf between reality and rhetoric. We already see this in clubs talking about the salary cap. People here wet themselves when clubs talk about spending up to the top of the cap, but the cap between the min and the max is just $800k

Just like penis's, footy spending isn't about how big it is, but rather it's about where you put it
Aware of this , but like anything there are loopholes

Aware of this , but like anything there are loopholes

ive said this previously - but it depends upon how tight the AFL rules are

an easy example would be using the social clubs (at some clubs they are separate corp identities), but i believe the AFL rules are supposed to look at intent (similar to 3rd parties paying players around the cap)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

is that why we signed Newman for another year?
What are you asking? Newman had little impact on us winning those games and I don't know why we signed him.
He has only ever been an average footballer and is a HBF with average skills and no run? IMO the game passed him by long ago, maybe he is a great bloke and nice to have in the team, maybe they want to honour him who the F@@k knows?

What are you asking? Newman had little impact on us winning those games and I don't know why we signed him.
He has only ever been an average footballer and is a HBF with average skills and no run? IMO the game passed him by long ago, maybe he is a great bloke and nice to have in the team, maybe they want to honour him who the F@@k knows?
i was thinking the same , the problem is they'll do their best to get him to 300 now

How much does everyone think Lennon will improve next season? Will he cement a spot in the forward line? Kick 20-30 goals for the season? Or keep improving slowly in the 2's?

How much does everyone think Lennon will improve next season? Will he cement a spot in the forward line? Kick 20-30 goals for the season? Or keep improving slowly in the 2's?
Id like him to play 10 games against minnow sides,but its going to be hard to fit him into our star studded line up

We really need him to be ready asap IMO.

Clever forward, sticky hands, elite kick and can impact the midfield. Lids clone without the pace which would be amazing.

I was thinking he'd be playing midfield, maybe down back...

I'd have Lloyd, Gordon, knights, McDonough etc vying for 2 of the forward positions, edwards martin, cotch rotating through the other.

I'd like Griff, Ty & JR all in the line up with Griff, Ty & pinch hitting in the ruck.

And Hampson to just be depth.

I reckon Lennon will be consolidating his place in the line up in '15 and having a breakout year in 16.

We really need him to be ready asap IMO.

Clever forward, sticky hands, elite kick and can impact the midfield. Lids clone without the pace which would be amazing.

Yeah I agree, need him to come on. Incredibly talented guy. Would add class and xfactor to the line up if he can come on

Will be interesting to see what crazy moves are made during pre-seasons this year... Wonder if we will top Martin to HB and Newman forward. Or continue to play McDonough in defence?

I'll start McBean to defence to work on his defensice side.

We need more quality mids, with Dusty/Lids/Cotch working well in the forward half we need quality depth to run through the mid to keep it strong when our fab 3 are rotating down forward. If we cannot find more quality mids we need to run our fab 3 through the midfield more and use Flash/Lloyd/McDonna/Edwards types as permanent forwards imo.

Remove this Banner Ad

Where the improvement will come from?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back