Where would you rather finish?

Remove this Banner Ad

How do you get 50% out of Fremantle, Carlton, Hawthorn, West Coast, Us, Richmond, St Kilda, Collingwood, Brisbane, Essendon, Footscray, North Melbourne and Melbourne who since 2000 have all spent time in the bottom 4 or thereabouts?

Geelong, Camries and Swans haven't spent any "real" time down there.

GWS and Gold Coast excluded obviously.

Well lets take the last 10 years bottom 2 to be relavant..
2010 richmond,west coast
2009 richmond, melbourne
2008 west coast, melbourne
2007 cartlon, richmond
2006 essendon, cartlon
2005 collingwood, cartlon
2004 hawthorn, richmond
2003 cartlon, bulldogs
2002 saints, cartlon
2001 saints, dockers
2000 saints, collingwood

10 Teams have finished down the bottom in the last 10 years:
saints, collingwood,dockers, cartlon,hawthorn,essendon, bulldogs,richmond,west coast, melbourne.
Essendon, Dockers and the buldogs were only there once so they didnt get much from it so count them out thats 7 teams who have "tanked"
Those 7 should all be in contension for a flag especially richmond who was there 4 times. Collingwood and Hawthorn have already won flags and the saints have come very close a few times so we count that as 3 successes.
If Cartlon,Melbourne,Richmond or West Coast win a flag with there current squad it will be a better than 50% success ratio if 2 of them win a flag it will be about 70% tanking effectivness...lets not deny the effectiveness of the tank...though if Richmond dont win won soon good knows what they are doing wrong...

That is fairly optimistic my friend, but it would be great if it happened.

Yep that is fairly optomistic but I do think it can be acheived. Yes it won't be easy but nothing on the field in AFL football is easy.

It will take 100% effort from the players on the field and on the training track and if this group is striving for the ultimate prize they have to start doing this.

For me, I think it is far more important to finish as high as we can, but interested to know what everyone else thinks?

Win as many games as we can and finish as high as we can. Nothing beats breading a winning culture.

I would rather establish a "winning is everything" culture with our existing players and get a low draft pick... than screw with the existing culture/players and get a high draft pick.

Champion Team > Team of Champs... and all that sort of stuff. :thumbsu:

Well lets take the last 10 years bottom 2 to be relavant..
2010 richmond,west coast
2009 richmond, melbourne
2008 west coast, melbourne
2007 cartlon, richmond
2006 essendon, cartlon
2005 collingwood, cartlon
2004 hawthorn, richmond
2003 cartlon, bulldogs
2002 saints, cartlon
2001 saints, dockers
2000 saints, collingwood

10 Teams have finished down the bottom in the last 10 years:
saints, collingwood,dockers, cartlon,hawthorn,essendon, bulldogs,richmond,west coast, melbourne.
Essendon, Dockers and the buldogs were only there once so they didnt get much from it so count them out thats 7 teams who have "tanked"
Those 7 should all be in contension for a flag especially richmond who was there 4 times. Collingwood and Hawthorn have already won flags and the saints have come very close a few times so we count that as 3 successes.
If Cartlon,Melbourne,Richmond or West Coast win a flag with there current squad it will be a better than 50% success ratio if 2 of them win a flag it will be about 70% tanking effectivness...lets not deny the effectiveness of the tank...though if Richmond dont win won soon good knows what they are doing wrong...

A lot of if's in your theory and counting a draw and a loss as success well...... Let's just deal in facts as they stand. You don't have to finish bottom 2 to get a priority pick either.

I notice you didn't have this year which adds Port to the equation?

Anyway back ot, we should always strive to be the best we can. Our culture and creed demand it.

one or the other - what i DONT want to see is a 5 win season.... talk about worst case scenario!

Totally agree with this.

Go as hard as we can all season but if we're on 3 or 4 wins after 18 rounds, put the cue in the rack.

one or the other - what i DONT want to see is a 5 win season.... talk about worst case scenario!

yeah 2 wins with 8 games to go, may as well play the kids.

I want to see an improvement in team performance but I think putting a ladder position on it is somewhat pointless as we could still get crippled with injury next year or have other factors impact on our final position.

I would be happy with more wins, more consistent performance and no 20 goal losses.

If more wins = finals then happy days.

I would also add that if we're not making the eight, the wins should be at home. A 7 win season with 7 home wins is worth a lot more to the club this year than say 4 home & 3 away.

I don't care how many wins we get - as long as the players that take the field expect to win every game - and that we can all say after each game that all players gave their best efforts and we don't see long term head dropping episodes on-field.

I want us to play to the best of our ability each and every game. How ever many wins we get from that, so be it.

At least you can then turn around and really identify your strengths and weaknesses. Deliberately playing badly does not get you that.

I don't want to be in the business of getting Matt Primus a contract renewal. No shortcuts.

Whatever position that gets us is OK with me.
That is my answer as well. Coach for the team not for a contract.

I will also add that come round 17 or there abouts if we are in a position for a priority pick then send everyone that needs it off to surgery and play the kids.
Stuff winning the last 5 games to prove a point or to get a new contract.

2013-14 top 8 followed by top 4 will be a must.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm quite positive in the sense that I suspect that we will have fewer "weak as" and soft efforts next year. In which case I think, with natural improvement, we will be in the lower half of the 8.

However, a continuation of the last four pathetic years will see us down the bottom again.

I want Port to finish the highest they can, breeding the "I can" winning culture as soon as possible. Stuff this pathetic idea of finishing low to get a good pick, where the rewards no way cover the losses.

I'll echo the sentiments of others - as high as we can. If that means we finish 9th to 13th, and neither make finals nor get the 'gun' that opposition team supporters believe we so desperately need because they don't know the names on our list, fine. It means that we are closing in on where we should be and will give the boys confidence going into the next year (where a finals appearance should be mandatory)

If that means we finish bottom two because we are really that shit and overrate our list, that's fine (as much as it can be), because at least we know that we can cut some deadwood and get potential guns in return.

Under no circumstances should we tank for picks. Tanking breeds a loser mentality. You play the players who you think will be in your next premiership side in their best positions, and if they aren't good enough, they either become good enough over time or they get replaced by the players you receive from the draft.

No shortcuts.

I would rather us finish top than anywhere else. And I start each season praying to the footy gods to make that happen.

My order of preference.

1. Finals
2. Priority pick, but no spoon.
3. As close to finals as possible.
4. Priority pick + spoon.
:thumbsu: X2

who on earth would want their club to finish bottom 3 when they can be competing for a top 8 spot and earning the respect of others

Remove this Banner Ad

Where would you rather finish?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back