Analysis Which clubs deserve a priority pick?

Remove this Banner Ad

North do , never had one been, never tried to lose a match, always finished as high as we possibly can.

Remember one particular shit year we finished fourth last and the three clubs below us all had pp's. ****ing joke, scrap 'em.

I work on the theory that sooner or later all clubs will need some sort of a handout. As long as it not a constant handout then fair enough.. but lets be a bit better than just throw another kid on the pyre of players already being burnt at bottom clubs.

The whole concept of the draft is a priority pick... once you give the worst club first choice you are making their health a priority. Why do we give bottom clubs first choice at the players available? The draft was meant to be an equalisation device but its lost a lot of it effect with FA and players movement. Give bottom clubs the best kids and it locks in some sort of disgruntlement.. the kids with the most choice to the worst possible club ..it build in players wanting out. But we know why ..we are trying to rotate success to keep supporters engaged ... but some clubs have found ways to avoid drop off.. and so the bottom club are finding it especially hard to rise from the mire.

I believe special Priority picks are almost pointless if you dont fix many other factors at the clubs and in the afl.

One is the length of time it takes to build thru the draft. The draft as it stands atm is not biased enough ... any club that misses the finals for 5 years ..probably should start getting extra assistance... but what assistance. And does the draft really work that well when we are drafting kids that need so much development. Just add another kid? How does that help? And just how much does it help anyway? Where did Mirra at Haw get drafted? Where did Henry at Gee get drafted. both Rookies. Just giving early picks seems picking at the edges...and its unlikely to help in the short term.

Giving bottom clubs top end talent is just picking low hanging fruit and is unlikely to help next year... so what us needed is multiple attacks on the issue. extra list spots , extra cap , a FA salary Cap , FA access to uncontracted players irrelevant of age .. there are lots of way it could be studied.. but just give them another kid.. seems a cop out. And If I was the kid id wonder on the fairness of seeing some players being FSon, other being Academy and others being NGA all having some sort of control of destination.. while others players just get told to pack your bags.

first of all we dont have much talent and secondly GCS are going to have a better opportunity because they will have 2 and 3. Also North will get the 3rd best player in the draft at pick 10.
What a stupid comment re GC and pick 3.

GC are getting pick 3 because they’re losing Tom Lynch. Not because it’s some AFL PP handout.

You have more first round picks in your squad than every other club, except for GWS, who you are level with.

What’s hurting Carlton is their off field culture, mismanagement and poor coaching. And that all affects on field performance.

Priority picks need to be scrapped. Doesn't really help the bottom clubs that are getting them and the middle clubs get impacted and makes more difficult for them to move up.

They need to work something else as priority picks haven't helped anyone!

Well why doesn't carlton do something similar to Richmond by chasing free agents. It is within the rules afterall, get in the ear of Gaff for a start; put in the ground work for the GWS players that next season will become free agents i.e. Shiel and Coniglio. The whole Tom Lynch to Richmond thing didn't just start this year, Richmond have been putting in the ground work for sometime.

You keep hearing that SOS doesn't want to pay for anything; he doesn't like paying free agents big salaries and he doesn't like handing over draft picks for players. And that is fine but what you end up with is a list made up from early picks with a lot of young talent and little experience. This season was the downward swing from this approach but next season you could well end up winning 7 or 8 games.

This whole idea though that you cannot compete until you have 25 first round draft picks on your list though is a fantasy. Hawthorn those first pick in the 2016 draft was pick 74 ended up with Harry Morrison and he looks as good to me as many of carlton's first round draft picks.

The other reason why carton should not get assistance is the fact that the club has contributed to the situation by trading away Gibbs for early picks. SOS is on record as saying that anyone can accumulate a list to finish 7th or 8th but carlton are strategically staying low to accumulate talent. Even though this tactic amounts to tanking, if this is the path they want to go then that is fine but you cannot expect the other 17 clubs to be penalised to effect this strategy.
I'd respond but you are just here for one purpose and we both know what that is, have a nice day though.

SOS doesnt like paying for anything is rubbish - we have taken Plowman, Marchbank with first round picks and Kennedy with 2nd round pick.

I think everyone should get a priority pick. Something like. The team finishing last gets pick one all the way to pick 18 for the club who finished first, then continue in that order until all list spots are filled.
Maybe you could even trade those picks to other teams in exchange for players or future picks.

What a stupid comment re GC and pick 3.

GC are getting pick 3 because they’re losing Tom Lynch. Not because it’s some AFL PP handout.

You have more first round picks in your squad than every other club, except for GWS, who you are level with.

What’s hurting Carlton is their off field culture, mismanagement and poor coaching. And that all affects on field performance.

Can you please highlight what the issue is with Carlton off field culture - I am genuinely interested to know.

You made the comment now you need to back it up.

Mis management I 100% agree but culture? My boy- it is elite.

Well why doesn't carlton do something similar to Richmond by chasing free agents.

Because FA dont go to bottom sides. They go to sides like Richmond, Hawthorn and Geelong that are already there, or sides they perceive as being on the way up, usually leaving bottom sides.

We'll be in the F/A market next year in a big way, hopefully off the back of starting to move up the ladder. Once we're headed in the right direction, it'll be a lot easier to attract them.

Because FA dont go to bottom sides. They go to sides like Richmond, Hawthorn and Geelong that are already there, or sides they perceive as being on the way up, usually leaving bottom sides.

We'll be in the F/A market next year in a big way, hopefully off the back of starting to move up the ladder. Once we're headed in the right direction, it'll be a lot easier to attract them.
:huh:

200.gif

I think Carlton deserve an end of first round priority pick. However, I think any pick needs to be traded for a player or used on a mature recruit outside the AFL. The notion of a priority pick needs to be in the context of trying to make Carlton more competitive in 2019, not trying to build a list to contend in 2022. They have enough early round picks.

Gold Coast. I don't think so. They have been afforded enough handouts and the priority should be getting everything in order off-field.

Priority picks need to be scrapped. Doesn't really help the bottom clubs that are getting them and the middle clubs get impacted and makes more difficult for them to move up.

They need to work something else as priority picks haven't helped anyone!
+1

Totally this. Teams like North and Port and Bulldogs do their very best every year to win and stay competitive.

And we then get punished because a bunch of ******s running other clubs can not get their shit together. In what world is this considered fair play or equal?

+1

Totally this. Teams like North and Port and Bulldogs do their very best every year to win and stay competitive.

And we then get punished because a bunch of ******s running other clubs can not get their shit together. In what world is this considered fair play or equal?

Why not? Hawthorn, Richmond, West Coast, Adelaide, Fremanltle, Lions all recieved priority picks, why shouldn't we?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why not? Hawthorn, Richmond, West Coast, Adelaide, Fremanltle, Lions all recieved priority picks, why shouldn't we?

You already did previously.
This current scenario is of your club's own making. Continuously trading out or letting good senior players go for draft picks. Empowering SOS to do a rebuild properly or a reset or whatever term the club wants to use, means you've got to cop some pain without using the beggars bowl routine.
The next step is proper development of those draftees. If you can't develop them properly why should other clubs be penalised?
The majority of blues supporters, going by the many who post, believe SOS is doing a magnificent job. He either is, and you've got to be patient or they're full of bs and are just wishing and hoping SOS is on the right track.

This current scenario is of your club's own making. Continuously trading out or letting good senior players go for draft picks. Empowering SOS to do a rebuild properly or a reset or whatever term the club wants to use, means you've got to cop some pain without using the beggars bowl routine.
The next step is proper development of those draftees. If you can't develop them properly why should other clubs be penalised?
The majority of blues supporters, going by the many who post, believe SOS is doing a magnificent job. He either is, and you've got to be patient or they're full of bs and are just wishing and hoping SOS is on the right track.
Which players were traded out that you are reffering to?

Please name them.

I dont think you can. A vague notion doesnt cut it.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

We recieved one - Hawthorn, West Coast and Richmond recieved two. So again - why shouldnt we recieve a priority pick with only two wins for the year?

Carlton already has received PPs and three times over which is more than any other club. Andrew Walker 2003, Mark Murphy 2005 and Matthew Kreuzer 2007. And you got a lot of those picks by tanking.

Personally, I don't agree with PPs but if any club should get one then North has a strong case. Having often had low ladder finishes but unlike Carlton and Melbourne have played the season out. Some assistance could also be looked at for the South Australian clubs who tend to lose a lot of talent for significant unders due to the majority of players coming from Victoria.

Carlton already has received PPs and three times over which is more than any other club. Andrew Walker 2003, Mark Murphy 2005 and Matthew Kreuzer 2007. And you got a lot of those picks by tanking.

Personally, I don't agree with PPs but if any club should get one then North has a strong case. Having often had low ladder finishes but unlike Carlton and Melbourne have played the season out. Some assistance could also be looked at for the South Australian clubs who tend to lose a lot of talent for significant unders due to the majority of players coming from Victoria.

We seem to tip toe around the edges and just troll.

Hawthorn has recieved three priority picks Hodge and Roughead, Richmond Rance and Delidio West Coast Judd and Darling

We didnt sign up to this equalisation platform and we did not make the rules. Club underperforms it gets a priority pick its the equalisation competition your club has signed on to.

Please name them.

In the last few years carlton has traded out Gibbs, Touhy, Henderson, Bell, Menzel and Yarran all for first or early second round draft picks. Carlton also chose not to match bids on free agents such as Betts and Waite. The club also chose to allow useful role players such as Robinson and Garlett go for an exchange of late draft picks.

The club was also the beneficiary of picking up Docherty for pick 33, who had been drafted to Brisbane with a first round draft pick, because he said he said he was a carlton supporter after his initial two year contract with Brisbane. I am sure Carlton would be ropeable if an interstate player did something similar to your club. You see when the shoe is on the other foot and a South Australian player wants to return to his home State you demand 2 first round draft picks for a 28 year old, those best football years were already behind him.

Last edited:
We seem to tip toe around the edges and just troll.

Hawthorn has recieved three priority picks Hodge and Roughead, Richmond Rance and Delidio West Coast Judd and Darling

We didnt sign up to this equalisation platform and we did not make the rules. Club underperforms it gets a priority pick its the equalisation competition your club has signed on to.

Hodge was traded for, as you well know, so keep making it up.

And no, you shouldn't get additional assistance at the expense of all the other clubs (given your already dominance of early draft round picks) for intentional under-performing both on the field and by your list managers.

Hodge was traded for, as you well know, so keep making it up.

Getting pick 1 for Croad is almost a priority pick anyway.

Hawthorn got priority picks so please quit standing on a pedastal and trying to be all that - or merger discussions will resurface dear Melbourne Hawks.

Please name them.

Obviously you must be new to supporting Carlton.

In the last few years carlton has traded out Gibbs, Touhy, Henderson, Bell, Menzel and Yarran all for first or early second round draft picks. Carlton also chose not to match bids on free agents such as Betts and Waite. The club also chose to allow useful royal players such as Robinson and Garlett go for an exchange of late draft picks.

The club was also the beneficiary of picking up Docherty for pick 33, who had been drafted to Brisbane with a first round draft pick, because he said he said he was a carlton supporter after his initial two year contract with Brisbane. I am sure Carlton would be ropeable if an interstate player did something similar to your club. You see when the shoe is on the other foot and a South Australian player wants to return to his home State you demand 2 first round draft picks for a 28 year old, those best football years were already behind him.

You beat me to it, but thank you

Getting pick 1 for Croad is almost a priority pick anyway.

Hawthorn got priority picks so please quit standing on a pedastal and trying to be all that - or merger discussions will resurface dear Melbourne Hawks.

In fact, by merger is the only way carlton should receive a PP. Merge with the Suns, have a PP and you have might get a competitive club worth watching on a Friday night.

Analysis Which clubs deserve a priority pick?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back