Which draftees will be ready to play in 09?

Remove this Banner Ad

Only Rich and Hartlett have the poise, strength and skills to play 1st round and have any REAL IMPACT next year. Ballentyne has the experience and will play sometime in 2009. Don't expect to see Watts or Natinui next year, they will be given plenty of time to develop, Hurley may get a run late in the year. Most others have no chance other then for the experience in round 3 for the bottom eight.

Wouldn't Watts be smashed playing a key position at just 17 years of age? :confused:

Melbourne would have to be out of their mind to play Watts in the first half of next year.

Nick Suban if he's drafted by the right club.

See Steven Browne...

Agree on Watts, I think he will play less games than what people seem to think. He is very light on, you used the right word TG, smashed. Might get a game or two near the end but i don't see the need to play him next year TBH, think they will just be flirting with danger if they play in too many games.

Good call on Suban also, the right club and he could be given a fair few games down back.

players who have played senior football already and had an impact, they can cope physically and mentally

Rich
Hartlett
Yarren

all where exceptional in patches for their respective SANFL and WAFL clubs

These are the names of the younger brigade that have played at senior level either in the WAFL, SANFL or VFL:

SANFL
Matthew Broadbent - 11 games (6 in the bests)
Chris Hall - 8 games (2 in the bests)
Hamish Hartlett - 5 games
Tyson Slattery - 9 games (1 in the bests)
Matthew Martin - 15 games (2 in the bests)
Charlie Sharples - 11 games (5 in the bests)
Peter Rolfe - 13 games (4 in the bests)
Jarrad Redden - 1 game
Rhys O'Keeffe - 4 games
Rhys Stanley - 2 games

WAFL
Nicholas Naitanui - 17 games (8 in the bests)
Chris Yarran - 13 games (4 in the bests)
Daniel Rich - 16 games (5 in the bests)
Adam Cockie - 22 games (8 in the bests)
Clancee Pearce - 8 games (2 in the bests)
Michael Walters - 2 games
Neville Jetta - 2 games
Todd Banfield - 7 games (1 in the bests)
Stephen Hill - 8 games
Johnny Bennell - 5 games
Matt DeBoer - 14 games (3 in the bests)
Brett Wolfenden - 19 games (7 in the bests)

VFL
Mitch Robinson - 11 games (3 in the bests)
Aaron Cornelius - 12 games
Tom Allright - 2 games
Tom Salter - 2 games

Feel free to add a few if i have left out anyone. Haven't added the older prospects like Ballantyne, Richardson, Silvagni, Anthony etc.

I prefer to look at another way !

Which first rounders ( 1-16 ) will be ready ( assuming no injuries ) to play Round 1 and have an impact.

Yarran
Hurley
Rich
Natanui

Others who may not be drafted in the first round but could play in Round 1

Broadbent
O'Keefe
Robionson

a better question..
which out of any of these players looks like they are going to hold a game consistently?? and put together a heap of games like trent cotchin or rhys palmer?

Jack Ziebell.

I reckon there will be a spot there for Ziebell after the retirement of Grant. Ziebell is a manchild and dwarfed Joe Anderson who has bulked up after in his third pre-season.

Ziebell is a fridge like Mark Roberts...Biggest bottom age midfielder/flanker I've seen.

Every Carlton supporter has a thing for Robinson and Garlett, but my gut says Yarran will slip into footy easier and show his undoubted class when the real stuff starts. Will only need a handful of chances to kick or create goals after getting his hands on the ball four times in range.

One goal one with a near miss on the run and an unselfish pass to Betts after a mark.

Yarran will slip tackles like the one Hunt laid when he adjusts to the pace of the game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think these guys will have years similar to Cotchin, Palmer and Rioli, Feel free to bookmark.

Hill
Sidebottom
Swift
Beams
L. Anothony
Ziebell
Zaharakis

Before this pre-season I would've said that Hill would play maybe 5 or 6 games from the middle of the year onwards. Now he'll start Rd 1 and should play at least 15 games. Same with Suban.

Remove this Banner Ad

Which draftees will be ready to play in 09?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back