Which footballer do you feel is underrated because they played for an unsuccessful team?

Remove this Banner Ad

Paul williams. Would be regarded as one of the gun mids of his era if he ever played in a great side.

Nicky winmar as well. If he played in a great side he would be regarded as the best aboriginal of the past 30 years bar franklin.
Adam Goodes is the best Aboriginal player of the past 30 years, possibly all time

Multiple Brownlows, AA in multiple positions, Rising Star, 372 games. One of the most decorated players of all time

None of which I suggested wasn't the case. All I said is that he isn't as good as Franklin, which he wasn't.

Lance Franklin has 300 games, 944 goals, two flags, 8 AAs, 4 Colemans, 11 x club leading goalkicker, premiership year B&F winner etc.

If I look back at the 2000s and 2010s Goodes is one of the best midfielders of the era. Is he clearly better than Judd, Black, Voss, Buckley, Ricciuto, Ablett, Martin, Dangerfield etc? It's a close field which some great players in it.

If I look back at the history of football then I see 5 players who have kicked 1,000 goals. It is likely that Franklin ends up 4th on that list passing Doug Wade and Gary Ablett Sr. He is miles ahead of anyone to debut 2000 or later.

Multiple Brownlows, AA in multiple positions, Rising Star, 372 games. One of the most decorated players of all time

Accolades aren't necessarily everything

Neither Leigh Matthews nor Wayne Carey have a browlown, but they are almost universally known as two of the best players to have ever played the game.

I think Frankin, at his absolute best, was a shade better then Goodes at his absolute best, but that's just me

Goodes wins by a mile for durability and consistency though

Accolades aren't necessarily everything

Neither Leigh Matthews nor Wayne Carey have a browlown, but they are almost universally known as two of the best players to have ever played the game.

I think Frankin, at his absolute best, was a shade better then Goodes at his absolute best, but that's just me

Goodes wins by a mile for durability and consistency though

Durability? Not so sure.

Goodes played 12 games in his 3rd last year before bouncing back.

Buddy could well be in his 3rd last year with 10 games this year before bouncing back for another 40ish games.

No key forward would ever win a game by game consistency award but year on year it's pretty close. Buddy has 8 AA's and 11 leading goalkickers for a reason.

Luke McPharlin
Luke McPharlin.
Very Very good choice.
When the best of the modern KPF's openly rate a guy as the best, you listen. Riewoldt said it multiple times, and reckon if he ever got the chance he would have also been the perfect matchup for Pavlich.
Probably my choice as well for underrated from more recent times.

Nomination for underrated champions from unsuccessful mobs of the past...
definitely Peter Bedford

Do you, though? Footy isn't basketball I agree. You can't just add LeBron and go from a lottery team to a title contender.

The AFL Hall of Fame has Darrell Baldock, Haydn Bunton Sr, Roy Cazaly, Tony Lockett, Kevin Murray, Bob Skilton and Ted Whitten inducted as legends. Baldock and Whitten won one flag each, the others none between them. None of these guys are really synonymous with team success like Ron Barassi or Leigh Matthews.

If I am looking at great players of the 90s onward then I'm not discounting Robert Harvey, Scott West, Tony Lockett, Gary Ablett Sr, Nick Riewoldt etc. for not playing in premiership teams. Lance Franklin played in two flags for Hawthorn then left. He's still a better player than all his teammates than played in 4 even though a couple of them are still greats. Gary Ablett Jr played in 35 wins in 7 years at Gold Coast while Geelong won their 3rd flag in 5 years. He was still the best player in the comp with no support instead of having Bartel, Corey etc. around him.
Was not even thinking about the AFL hall of fame when using the word legend. And thinking of finals when talking about successful teams. Without finals it will be much more difficult to be remembered. Ablett snr. played quite a few decent ones. Of course some players are good enough to still make a mark. Lockett actually played very few. But think of somebody like Tom Boyd. He will be remembered I'd say. Imagine he had chooses Carlton (or some other unsuccessful team) instead of Bulldogs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Its because he isnt as good as those five footballers. You get winmar is in my list right? You probably dont even know who he is.
Winmar doesn't belong in the same conversation as guys like Buddy, McLeod, Goodes, Matera, etc.

And I say that as a Dogs fan

Was not even thinking about the AFL hall of fame when using the word legend. And thinking of finals when talking about successful teams. Without finals it will be much more difficult to be remembered. Ablett snr. played quite a few decent ones. Of course some players are good enough to still make a mark. Lockett actually played very few. But think of somebody like Tom Boyd. He will be remembered I'd say. Imagine he had chooses Carlton (or some other unsuccessful team) instead of Bulldogs.

Tom Boyd will be remembered fondly by Bulldogs fans for his 2016 GF performance. He was pretty good in the prelim too IIRC.

Other than that he will be forgotten by plenty and otherwise known as that guy who went #1 in the draft and never really went on with it then quit due to mental health.

Winmar doesn't belong in the same conversation as guys like Buddy, McLeod, Goodes, Matera, etc.

And I say that as a Dogs fan
You get he was a has been when he played at the dogs right? And his last year at the saints too. Late eighties and early nineties he was second behind gary ablett senior as the most exciting player in the comp when on.

Remove this Banner Ad

Which footballer do you feel is underrated because they played for an unsuccessful team?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back