Which team do you think will win the flag?

Who do you think will win the flag?

• Geelong

Votes: 58 25.2%
  • Sydney

Votes: 58 25.2%
  • Port Adelaide

Votes: 4 1.7%
  • Hawthorn

Votes: 59 25.7%
  • Brisbane

Votes: 21 9.1%
  • GWS

Votes: 30 13.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Sydney have the worst forward set up of all teams remaining in the finals. Joel Amarety will not win them a flag. I doubt they will win their next game.

Yet he would be on course to win the goal kicking or finish second at last years premiership side .

Geelong (who I think will win)

order of preference

 Brisbane
Port Adelaide
GWS
Sydney

If it's a Geelong v Sydney GF put your house and money on the Cats. Sydney and MCG grand finals is like J-Lo and Ben Affleck!

Shocked to see you put Sydney last 😁

Geelong had a pretty bog average tall forward line in 2007, still won the flag by a lot.
Our forward line in general was still a class above Sydney’s right now.

Mooney and Nathan Ablett > Sydney’s talls
Johnson and Chapman AA level half forwards, better than Sydney’s best two
Stokes and Byrnes the goal sneaks to round it out

Ablett and Bartel rotated on a half forward flank but we can say this is cancelled out by Heeney and Warner doing the same.

Yet he would be on course to win the goal kicking or finish second at last years premiership side .

Just talking recent history, teams that have won the flag have big game forward lines. Collingwood was very lucky last year which showed in all those close games we won, and what got us over the line was the array of small forwards.

Swans goals are all kicked by your midfielders. I'm not sure if that can be sustained throughout the finals..

Geelong (who I think will win)

order of preference

 Brisbane
Port Adelaide
GWS
Sydney

If it's a Geelong v Sydney GF put your house and money on the Cats. Sydney and MCG grand finals is like J-Lo and Ben Affleck!
Cats will win mate.

Those old farts are too experienced and Too Dangerous. lol

If Cats win the flag this season, Dont go near Geelong. You will be chased by old people with walking sticks and throw their false teeth at you lol

Before the finals series started, I said it heavily hinged on that port vs cats game.

Had Port won, I predicted a Port vs GWS or swans grand final.

But cats won, I think the cats will win the flag regardless who is on the other side.
I don't know how anyone could confidently pick Port, just too flakey in finals. Don't have the toughness of teams like GWS and Sydney.

I don't know how anyone could confidently pick Port, just too flakey in finals. Don't have the toughness of teams like GWS and Sydney.

They also had 2 important defenders out in Houston and Farrell. That basically stuffed up their defense, hence why Geelong went to town on them in that area of the ground. Port seriously lack depth. They lose a few players and have literally nothing to bring in.

Just talking recent history, teams that have won the flag have big game forward lines. Collingwood was very lucky last year which showed in all those close games we won, and what got us over the line was the array of small forwards.

Swans goals are all kicked by your midfielders. I'm not sure if that can be sustained throughout the finals..
Papley is huge for them and it goes beyond statistical output (which is still very good). Take him out of that forward line and it lacks serious firepower/mojo. He knits it all together -from energy, to class, to smarts, to leadership. As nice as it was for Warner to show up in the last quarter, Papley was behind only Heeney for keeping Sydney in it and then forcing them to power past.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

yeah well I am still gutted the dockers didnt at least get 8th spot.

Again.... It seems like Ports 2024 team won a few close games. They beat the saints Narrowly and Dockers narrowly too.

Ports 2024 side reminds me of Geelongs 2014 side.

That cats 2014 side finished 3rd with 17 wins and 5 losses. Percentage of around 110. Swans and Hawks also had 17 wins but both had percentagesof atleast 130. Cats won like 7 or 8 games by 2 goals or less. They went out in straight sets that season. I think it was your Kangaroos side that narrowly beat them in the semi final after that narrow elim final win vs essendon.

But yeah.... Most years you wanna be a 4th placed side over a 5th placed side.

Some cases you wanna be a strong 5th placed side than a weak 4th placed side.

As a dockers fan, I wasnt gutted finishing 5th in 2022. I enjoyed that 2022 elim final win vs the dogs. Dockers needed that finals win. Looking back at that, had we not won that final, we would be still looking at freos 1st finals win since 2015.

They also had 2 important defenders out in Houston and Farrell. That basically stuffed up their defense, hence why Geelong went to town on them in that area of the ground. Port seriously lack depth. They lose a few players and have literally nothing to bring in.
Really?

Port beat Freo last week.

Freo were lost Treacy (solid KPF), Sean Darcy (good ruckman) and Alex Pearce (tall defender and captain) With injuries.

Sydney have the worst forward set up of all teams remaining in the finals. Joel Amarety will not win them a flag. I doubt they will win their next game.
Somehow we’ve managed to kick more goals than any other team this season.

I’m not sure tall forwards suddenly become indispensable in the last two games of a season if they haven’t been for the previous 25.

Tier 1: Sydney
Tier 2: GWS/Brisbane/Hawthorn
Tier 3: Port/Geelong (we're just happy to be here)
The old reverse mozz, love it

Brisbane has been close for years but despite all the skills in the world they can't seem to nail the big ones. Hoping the CamRaynator catches fire and leads them home.

Sydney have set up very well but like Brisbane have problems af the G. I imagine GWS are similar but I honestly have no idea.

Port just lack star power. All those lively mids but they seem light, Holmes and Dangerfield were like motorboats among the dinghys. They should win at home...

If Geelong stay relatively uninjured they will walk away with it. Best coach going around.

Hawks already farting way higher than their arses, this is pure gold in terms of maturing these kids. I feel they have the least chance here, but the GF is in Melbourne, if they claw their way in.

It's so level, I guess this is good for footy. Sentimentally I'd like Brisbane to win. Sydney winning is the reason they've been given so much, probably that narrative has enough push behind it. If not, Geelong know what to do.

Geelong had a pretty bog average tall forward line in 2007, still won the flag by a lot.

Respectfully to how good Sydney’s team is, we had a ‘rest of the field’ that was arguably as good as anything that has been assembled in the last 30 years and while Sydney has some absolute superstars I don’t think they can say the same.

That’s not to say they won’t win the comp, of course; on the contrary, I think they deserve to be favourites to do so. But the class we had elsewhere made the forwards we DID have - Mooney and Ablett mainly - reasonably capable.

The old reverse mozz, love it

Brisbane has been close for years but despite all the skills in the world they can't seem to nail the big ones. Hoping the CamRaynator catches fire and leads them home.

Sydney have set up very well but like Brisbane have problems af the G. I imagine GWS are similar but I honestly have no idea.

Port just lack star power. All those lively mids but they seem light, Holmes and Dangerfield were like motorboats among the dinghys. They should win at home...

If Geelong stay relatively uninjured they will walk away with it. Best coach going around.

Hawks already farting way higher than their arses, this is pure gold in terms of maturing these kids. I feel they have the least chance here, but the GF is in Melbourne, if they claw their way in.

It's so level, I guess this is good for footy. Sentimentally I'd like Brisbane to win. Sydney winning is the reason they've been given so much, probably that narrative has enough push behind it. If not, Geelong know what to do.

Reverse mozz wise, make no mistake, we now have given ourselves a CHANCE to win it; we need to win two games of footy to claim a flag so automatically we are in the mix. But the fact is that 5 days ago 6 of the 10 ‘experts’ that Fox sports have doing their predictions had us going out in straight sets and I think a good percentage of people here did too, and simply getting into a QF was a higher than expected finish so there is still a big element of ‘free swing’ about being in a preliminary final even allowing for how easily we’ve made it there

Remove this Banner Ad

Which team do you think will win the flag?

Back