Which team do you think will win the flag?

Who do you think will win the flag?

• Geelong

Votes: 58 25.2%
  • Sydney

Votes: 58 25.2%
  • Port Adelaide

Votes: 4 1.7%
  • Hawthorn

Votes: 59 25.7%
  • Brisbane

Votes: 21 9.1%
  • GWS

Votes: 30 13.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't see Brisbane winning three finals away from home in a row to win the premiership - they just can't maintain their best for long enough.

Port are Port in finals - write them off. I thought this might be the year they overcome their September woes, but the QF put that idea to bed.

In order of likelihood, I think:

Sydney (just)
Geelong
GWS
Hawthorn

Brisbane

Port

A Hawthorn-Geelong grand final would be great for the in-game and post-game melts
I am all for it. Would bring back 1989 & 2008. Last time Hawks and Cats met, Boston were NBA champions, we had an Olympic & Paralympic Games in Beijing and a US election. Oh and not to mention, Spain won the Euros and a Spaniard won Wimbledon and we had a first-time Australian Open champion.

I am all for it. Would bring back 1989 & 2008. Last time Hawks and Cats met, Boston were NBA champions, we had an Olympic & Paralympic Games in Beijing and a US election. Oh and not to mention, Spain won the Euros and a Spaniard won Wimbledon and we had a first-time Australian Open champion.
The Hawthorn-Geelong rivalry has a lot of genuine hatred. Hate equals fun for neutrals.

It is a sure bet. Geelong have an easy ride to the grand final

Let’s be honest. If we had to take on the New England Patriots in an NFL match in Massachusetts to make the grand final, a kindergarten level whinger like you would still make this comment, nevermind the fact that the most likely team to beat us across the entire finals is now in our half of the draw, after we’ve already been interstate to get to where we are.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

will be geelong vs sydney
then fingers crossed sydney can bring them down
would love to see the cats make it and cop the L on the big day

I still reckon the Giants have the best list to win it. They have no weaknesses across any line.
Have the best defender in the game, and the best forward in the game.
Bedford plays today, they win. He's back next week.
Sydney seem to have their measure. I hope Brisbane gets up because the Giants own us and have for awhile.

Not much love for Brisbane - I can see why, they have been flaky. But who hasn't this year?

Their best is amazing, I'm told their first Q on Saturday was the best footy by anyone all year, (though Carlton)

Kick away from doing it last year, so they can rise to the occasion. Just a couple of players in that team that I think are duds though.
They have to win three interstate finals. That aint happening.

Sydney seem to have their measure. I hope Brisbane gets up because the Giants own us and have for awhile.
Sydney only got them by a goal at the death. Before that, GWS owned them, particularly in finals.

Even if the Lions win I still reckon they'll give you a contest. They have shown in recent years they can perform in Sept at the G.

Conditions play a part. If Geelong plays GWS in the wet then the cats can pack their bags.
Why do you think it'll advantage the Giants? I see pros and cons for both. Giants will have to be not let the slippery ball hamper their quick handballing game, but Geelongs high uncontested possession game could suffer. Taylor, Buckley, Stewart, Blicavs might be tested. Small forwards will play a bigger role, Stengle, Mannaugh, Miers, Greene, Daniels, Jones etc.

Why do you think it'll advantage the Giants? I see pros and cons for both. Giants will have to be not let the slippery ball hamper their quick handballing game, but Geelongs high uncontested possession game could suffer. Taylor, Buckley, Stewart, Blicavs might be tested. Small forwards will play a bigger role, Stengle, Mannaugh, Miers, Greene, Daniels, Jones etc.

I think it’s the lack of kgs around the ball and our intercept/counter game getting blunted. When Geelong has played wet “territory” type games they’ve been ground down. The one exception being Brisbane but they lost their ruckman 10 minutes into the game and were stuck with Daniher having ruck duties. Another factor from what I’ve seen is big name players accumulated ridiculous numbers in those games.

Also I agree small forwards can benefit, but mature bodies benefit more. Players like Dempsey, Close, Miers, and Mannagh aren’t built like a Papley or Paul Chapman.

Sydney have the worst forward set up of all teams remaining in the finals. Joel Amarety will not win them a flag. I doubt they will win their next game.

What, the team that finished with the most points in the league after the H&A season? :moustache:

Collingwood tall forwards in last years GF last year were Frampton, Mihochek and USA. None of them where world beaters and your mob had 30 shots at goal.

It’s not like the old days where you needed gun talls CHF/FFs up forward

Last edited:
I think it’s the lack of kgs around the ball and our intercept/counter game getting blunted. When Geelong has played wet “territory” type games they’ve been ground down. The one exception being Brisbane but they lost their ruckman 10 minutes into the game and were stuck with Daniher having ruck duties. Another factor from what I’ve seen is big name players accumulated ridiculous numbers in those games.

Also I agree small forwards can benefit, but mature bodies benefit more. Players like Dempsey, Close, Miers, and Mannagh aren’t built like a Papley or Paul Chapman.
Actually you've got it backwards.

The Bulldogs game was the single match with wet weather that Geelong played poorly in.

Hawthorn #1, Brisbane, Richmond, Essendon and others we played well when it was slippery.

Remove this Banner Ad

Which team do you think will win the flag?

Back