Which team do you think will win the flag?

Who do you think will win the flag?

• Geelong

Votes: 58 25.2%
  • Sydney

Votes: 58 25.2%
  • Port Adelaide

Votes: 4 1.7%
  • Hawthorn

Votes: 59 25.7%
  • Brisbane

Votes: 21 9.1%
  • GWS

Votes: 30 13.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I think it’s the lack of kgs around the ball and our intercept/counter game getting blunted. When Geelong has played wet “territory” type games they’ve been ground down. The one exception being Brisbane but they lost their ruckman 10 minutes into the game and were stuck with Daniher having ruck duties. Another factor from what I’ve seen is big name players accumulated ridiculous numbers in those games.

Also I agree small forwards can benefit, but mature bodies benefit more. Players like Dempsey, Close, Miers, and Mannagh aren’t built like a Papley or Paul Chapman.
Ah interesting, so like brute force in a slog in the wet? Makes sense.

I think it'll at least slow down the Giants. On a dry deck they might be too fast. It might slow them down.

I've said all year the Giants best is the best of any team - maybe Sydney and Brisbane - but Geelong would be close.

A Sydney v GWS matchup would be the spiciest but I think Geelong are the most difficult team to deal with.
Dangerfield is looking hungry and Scott and his players are more versatile and well drilled to upset the Hawks game. Hawks have had a lot on their terms most of this year.
Bris have alotta talent but I don’t think they’ll get there.
Geelong v Hawks.
Geelong by 10 goals

Geelong

Usually the margin % in finals indicate the best team.

So, Sydney is definitely not winning it.

The only question is if it will be Brisbane or Hawks getting to the GF.

Cats Hawks Gf is almost a certainty IMO.

Lions the best team in it and as we all know capable of the highest level, but 3 interstate games + G is a very tall order. Sadly the deck is stacked against the non-vic teams

They have three interstate games because they finished bottom four.

In 2020 Brisbane were gifted by Victorian social panic a home stadium run clear to Grand Final. Both they and Port choked these gifts. Geelong and Richmond didn’t cry. They just got on with the business of winning.

Hot tip: if you put effort into making excuses for losing, you will.

It's hard not to enjoy the hype from my angle (still a Hawk for the moment!), but there have been many teams in the past labelled as a sure thing from lower finals and they've always ended up short, with the fairly glorious exception of the Dogs...

Port were absolute shite, and the Hawks looked great...but the Hawks are on the road and Port surely took a good hard look this week...?

The Cats blew a lot of that hype away last week. Right in the middle of the Hawk young gun hype and a few claims from Brisbane and Sydney, Dad's Army flexed when it counted and put on the most emphatic display of the weekend to earn a week's rest in the longest AFL season of all time. In three weeks, we might be looking in hindsight and saying the Cats had it all along...forget the flash, it's all experience in a season where everyone has talent and everyone has had surges and splutters. The Hawks are still just one bad day (and last time against Port it was literally a bad 40 seconds!) from elimination despite their form, 0-5 will do that, and the other four are spluttering...

Cats for me, and as much as I'd like Ginivan's prediction to come true, Sydney will probably beat whoever they play next week regardless and face off for runners up...

Would have loved to see hawks v swans in the GF instead of the prelim. Just hope the remaining games are memorable and not blow outs.

Happy with any combo that excludes port and Brisbane.

Reckon it'll be Sydney v Geelong, but the most exciting game would be Sydney v GWS.

Can see Brisbane beating GWS and taking it to Geelong, losing due to their horrible accuracy on goal.

They have three interstate games because they finished bottom four.

Brisbane finished 5th and Hawthorn finished 7th, yet if both teams made the Grand Final, Hawthorn would travel one less time than Brisbane.

An interstate team finishing in the same position as Hawthorn probably has to travel four times to win the flag.

Brisbane have no one to blame but themselves for not finishing top 4. However the cards are stacked from winning outside the top 4 regardless, and (most of the time) even more so as an interstate side.

Brisbane finished 5th and Hawthorn finished 7th, yet if both teams made the Grand Final, Hawthorn would travel one less time than Brisbane.

An interstate team finishing in the same position as Hawthorn probably has to travel four times to win the flag.

Brisbane have no one to blame but themselves for not finishing top 4. However the cards are stacked from winning outside the top 4 regardless, and (most of the time) even more so as an interstate side.

Enjoy losing. You’re making a great excuse for it.

Also, it’s not gone unnoticed that you completely ignored 2020.

Losing two finals right near the end of the season (GWS home, non finalist Collingwood away) will create a tougher road to a premiership, yes.

But let's face it, Carlton were a bye. GWS are exhausted after giving it everything against Sydney and falling short. They're a team few expected to finish top 4 a few weeks out from end of season. Likewise Dad's Army, the Cats, who Brisbane would play a week later.

There are definitely tougher runs to a premiership from 5th.

Losing two finals right near the end of the season (GWS home, non finalist Collingwood away) will create a tougher road to a premiership, yes.

But let's face it, Carlton were a bye. GWS are exhausted after giving it everything against Sydney and falling short. They're a team few expected to finish top 4 a few weeks out from end of season. Likewise Dad's Army, the Cats, who Brisbane would play a week later.

Also, despite near infinite AFL money, GCS continue to suck balls. Hawthorn travelled less because the Doggies are also a Melbourne side. If Brisbane’s sister QLD side could ever perform then Brisbane could get the same travel schedule that every other AFL team with multiple state residents enjoys.

Brisbane supporters shouldn’t blame the system for them never having a home state opponent. Drive down to the Gold Coast and ask Cochrane how he manages to waste all the fat stacks the AFL keep shipping up there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My order in who I believe can win.

1. Sydney.
2. Hawks.
3. Geelong.
4. Gws.
5. Brisbane.
6. Port.

Not saying we are without a chance. But the 4 teams above us are probably a little more trustworthy right this minute.

Everyone seems to have a love fest with the winner of the elimination and jump ship off the loser of the qualifying final.

I think port win next week at home.
But to answer op, I think Sydney will win it.
Port by 40+ this week. Hawks acting like they won the flag last week and cocky players going over the top. port will win, unfortunately

If Hawthorn won it where would their age and experience profile stack up against previous premiers? They'd have to be one of the greenest since the baby bombers yes? Are they even younger than that?

If Hawthorn won it where would their age and experience profile stack up against previous premiers? They'd have to be one of the greenest since the baby bombers yes? Are they even younger than that?
Bombers were 24 and 105 days.

Hawks against Dogs were 25 and 6 months.

That will move with 31yr old Frost out.

GWS would be my overall ranking first place premiership pick, then second runner up Hawthorn, then third Geelong, then fourth Sydney, then fifth Brisbane, then sixth Port.

Last edited:
My order in who I believe can win.

1. Sydney.
2. Hawks.
3. Geelong.
4. Gws.
5. Brisbane.
6. Port.

Not saying we are without a chance. But the 4 teams above us are probably a little more trustworthy right this minute.
Wild, very close to my picks but I'd switch GWS to first and Sydney to fourth. I think last week's win was all Sydney had in them.

Mr Meow: need a Army of Dad's to be Dad's Army, applicable 2022 certainly but not 2024 with so many youngish guns! Not sure what phrase we can use to replace but I'd back YOU to think one up. GO CATS !!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Which team do you think will win the flag?

Back