Which team do you think will win the flag?

Who do you think will win the flag?

• Geelong

Votes: 58 25.2%
  • Sydney

Votes: 58 25.2%
  • Port Adelaide

Votes: 4 1.7%
  • Hawthorn

Votes: 59 25.7%
  • Brisbane

Votes: 21 9.1%
  • GWS

Votes: 30 13.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Wild, very close to my picks but I'd switch GWS to first and Sydney to fourth. I think last week's win was all Sydney had in them.
I guess that's just how even it is for the top 4. I'd put the lions in there but we are just too damn inconsistent and the gap between our best (which is damn good) and worst (which is woeful) is too big. Hopefully I'm wrong.

Losing two finals right near the end of the season (GWS home, non finalist Collingwood away) will create a tougher road to a premiership, yes.

But let's face it, Carlton were a bye. GWS are exhausted after giving it everything against Sydney and falling short. They're a team few expected to finish top 4 a few weeks out from end of season. Likewise Dad's Army, the Cats, who Brisbane would play a week later.

There are definitely tougher runs to a premiership from 5th.

I agree that if there was a year to win the flag from outside the 8 (either Hawthorn or Brisbane), this is the one to do it. The stand out H&A team will have to travel for the grand final, and it's a relatively weak top 4 (Port's win total and % don't make the top 4 last year).

I don't see Brisbane winning three finals away from home in a row to win the premiership - they just can't maintain their best for long enough.

Port are Port in finals - write them off. I thought this might be the year they overcome their September woes, but the QF put that idea to bed.

In order of likelihood, I think:

Sydney (just)
Geelong
GWS
Hawthorn

Brisbane

Port
Port had a top 2 spot. Had the chance to take the easiest path to the grand final and blew it.

Had Port beaten the cats in that qualifying final, would have had a good chance to meet a non vic side in a grand final and a good chance to win the 2024 flag.

I have no idea either. I just figure it is the naming of something that every club does but perhaps Hawthorn does better, but that is just a guess.
I heard Sam Mitchell talking about it - I'm not sure even the club knows what it is but everyone just happy to run with it. I think he said it was just a shortening of Hawk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Geelong, comfortably. Playing, and winning, an away final sets them up nicely. Bit more battle hardened than their likely opponents. It's the perfect scenario for them: play and beat a fellow contender, away. Week off. Home prelim. GF against an interstate team, who haven't left their home ground.

Remove this Banner Ad

Which team do you think will win the flag?

Back