Which team was the most disappointing round1?

Remove this Banner Ad

At the end of the day they lost to a better side but I totally agree the Suns should feel pretty flat about being played off the park at home in round 1.

I think it comes down to Freo or the Dogs though.

There's hope for both, it's one loss after all, but:

Freo: It's not that they lost to the Saints, it's just to me as I look across the lists I think they're probably in the same ball park which is more middle of the road than contenders. Strong backlines, good not great mids, some small forward talent. Freo's best 3 players relative to the competition might be their 3 tall defenders. Brayshaw and Serong are great but are they top tier mids? Can they create scoring? And the Freo forward line is the Freo forward line.

Dogs: Again, it's not that they lost but that they looked very messy. The better news for them is the main problem when it comes to talent levels of the personnel is the probably small forwards and rotation mids but there are some options on the list. They have a heap of combinations with the talls to try and will surely try a different one than they did with the Dees. And they have the midfield big 5 up and going who will give a lot of grief to sides if they can find the right talent around them.

Adelaide. To choke away a 5 goal lead away from home (and should have been a lot more seeing we smashed GWS in the first half) against a bogey side is just firmly in disappointing territory.

What a wasted opportunity coming into a month of no travel, seeing that's the kind of scalp that could have easily turned into a 4-5 wins start to the season.

Probably a toss up of Dogs and the Lions, but Hawks pretty close for taking the title. I get there isn't much expectation from them this year, but folding like that against a rival that also is predicted to be bottom 4-6 this year, was pretty terrible. Just shows how useless preseason form is.

Carlton.

Controlled the game but typically blew it again in the last 2 minutes, dropping uncontested marks and standing back off the mark to gift the opposition extra yardage.

Learnt nothing over summer.
What game were you watching Richmond dominated in most areas but we just couldn't finish off, 4 set shots kicked out on the full, even the Carlton coach knew it was a Richmond game, although Richmond were lucky to get the draw in the end we should have been well ahead

Carlton, purely because after rounds 22 & 23 last year we managed to f@ck up holding onto a lead again.. Mentally weak and fragile group.

Dogs, Lions, West Coast, Freo take your pick.

I'd personally be most upset as a Freo fan. St Kilda are very down on personel at the moment.

Dogs probably proved we aren't going to challenge the top echelon and Port were honestly impressive against the Lions IMO

Freo for me. Losing at home to that Saints lineup is the biggest upset of the week, not a good look to start a supposed window season, although far from alarm bells.
Game was played at Marvel by the way.

What game were you watching Richmond dominated in most areas but we just couldn't finish off, 4 set shots kicked out on the full, even the Carlton coach knew it was a Richmond game, although Richmond were lucky to get the draw in the end we should have been well ahead
Sshhh...

My interpretation is much more fun 😀

West coast for me.

All pre season I’d read , watched in the local media was how they “were fittest they’d ever been”,”we’re embarrassed after last years effort”,”new exciting game plan “ and basically full strength against last years spooners who were depleted .
Looked like nothing had changed from 22

Last edited:
West coast for me.

All pre season I’d read , watched in the local media was how they “were fittest they’d ever been”,”we’re embarrassed after last years effort”,”new exciting game plan “ and basically full strength against last years spooners who were depleted .
Looked like nothing had changed from 22
Which players were North missing? WC were missing 2 former AA players in Naitanui and Yeo. Had Naitanui played that likely would've been the difference as Williams and Jamieson are both horrible players

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lions by a country mile.

tears-sad.gif

Which players were North missing? WC were missing 2 former AA players in Naitanui and Yeo. Had Naitanui played that likely would've been the difference as Williams and Jamieson are both horrible players
Did you catch the game champ? Our number one ruckman went down in the first quarter and had to be replaced by a 2 metre stick key forward playing his third game and a 191cm midfielder. We were also missing our number one key defender Ben McKay.

I’ll continue even though you’re clearly a troll.

Fact is despite imo playing well below what we are capable of, if McKay doesn’t slip over and holds the mark Carlton win the game. Against a side who made the 8 last year and added 2 high profile recruits.

By no means should any Carlton fan be in rapturous excitement after that performance, but I think there are teams with far more pressing headaches after round 1.

Both teams didn't exactly play well, and would be feeling they have lots of room to improve in their skills/execution/tactics, all of which are manageable, but I think the biggest concern for Carlton is that they seemed to choke in the last stretch. As we've seen from a few clubs over the past few years, THAT can be a real issue. One game isn't enough to panic over, but it would be a concern.

Dude you were playing North...
And? Both WC and North were bottom 2 in 2022 and the game was @ North's home ground.
Natanui is a myth
Multiple AA player is actually not any good? Anyhow all WC need is a competent ruck, not a star as Williams and Jamieson are both horrendous.
Did you catch the game champ? Our number one ruckman went down in the first quarter and had to be replaced by a 2 metre stick key forward playing his third game and a 191cm midfielder. We were also missing our number one key defender Ben McKay.
Didn't matter who North had at ruck as Williams and Jamieson are woeful.....missing McKay alright give you that one, but how many AA's does he have?

Didn't matter who North had at ruck as Williams and Jamieson are woeful.....missing McKay alright give you that one, but how many AA's does he have?
AAs are not a meaningful metric. For example Todd Goldstein should've probably had 3 or 4 in his career but he only got one, players from smaller clubs with less media focus have to do a lot more to get that recognition. McKay has been recognised as one of the best up and coming key defenders in the league for a couple of years now, given a clear run at it he'll probably get an AA. Or maybe he won't, based on the whims of the selectors. We absolutely missed him, badly. Bonar and Ziebell had to match up on tall forwards in his absence.

Not enough vitriol and bile aimed at Western Dog for mine.

Fling s**t at them, they deserve it, all of it. Kick them while they are down. Laugh at Rory Lobb and his crap haircut, jeer at Captain Invisible aka Mark Bontopelli... marvel at his amazing disappearing act in the second half.

Pathetic Dog, so pathetic.

We disappeared because we are very average team. The dees had the best team last season and decided to disappear in the finals and cost themselves a flag.

Remove this Banner Ad

Which team was the most disappointing round1?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back