Which teams are the most likely to merge in the future?

Remove this Banner Ad

Lol, if a Dogs fan writes something like that about North it's a hanging offense.

We won't merge, our fans have already proven they will fight it with much more conviction and passion then other sides

Its the traditional north melbourne deflection despite the dogs having revenue $5m higher than the kangaroos, larger assets, higher profits and the fact we represent one of the biggest growth areas in the country.
If membership were to come up north fans would claim a large % of ours are 3 game freebies given to Victoria Uni students, despite the fact that only a couple weeks ago it came out they actually had significantly more 3-5 game memberships than us, varifying the fact that the freebies are not counted in our membership tally.

Clubs with the lowest asset bases are most at risk.

Those would Melbourne, St Kilda, Sydney and North. Don't quote me on North actually, I think they round out the bottom 4 but not sure. The other three are definitely the three lowest in terms of asset base (had a sneaky peak at the 2009 AFL financial report last night - only visible to the researchers, AFL and club CEOs [or so i'm told]).

Saints (-$100k) and Demons (-$500k) were in the negative for net assets but they've been improving significantly over the last few years so they're probably out of the red as of this year. Sydney, surprisingly, are in the black but only just. I'm surprised they were right down the bottom there.

Sydney won't merge/relocate/die being the poster boy in NSW, and Melbourne won't move/relocate either but another Victoria club may merge with the Dees.

Melbourne is back in the black and growing its asset base.
And of course being back as a sporting section of the Melbourne Cricket Club helps the football club retain its identity.
I cannot speak for the committee of the Cricket Club (although I've spoken to many of them about the football club) however I'm very sure they wish to see the football club retain its own identity as a division of the Cricket Club.

Its the traditional north melbourne deflection despite the dogs having revenue $5m higher than the kangaroos, larger assets, higher profits and the fact we represent one of the biggest growth areas in the country.
If membership were to come up north fans would claim a large % of ours are 3 game freebies given to Victoria Uni students, despite the fact that only a couple weeks ago it came out they actually had significantly more 3-5 game memberships than us, varifying the fact that the freebies are not counted in our membership tally.

I think you will find North supporters are not really concerned who is in a better Financial Position between the 2 clubs.

Rather it is really disappointing and somewhat hypocritical listening to Bulldogs supporters telling North we should Fold or Merge when you would hope having been through a similar situation supporters would understand how hurtful that is.

I think most North supporters feel a certain comradery with Bulldogs supporters due to our off field struggles.

I have also seen you mention revenue as an indicator of financial success. It actually means stuff all. Its all about net profit any fool can create revenue.

Anyway that’s beside the point I dont want to get into a juvenile Dick Measuring competition that is so commonplace on Big Footy.

Nice one! What else did you see? Very interested to hear more.
Let's just say, anyone who disregards WCE as not being top 4 club is kidding themselves. I am astonished at their figures. In fact both WA clubs are shitting it in for corporate and hospitality revenue, but the Eagles look bloody good on paper over a number areas.
When shit hits the fan, you look at the tangible assets of the club. Cashflow, profit margins, etc. are important as well but are always prone to fluctuations. Assets are a lot more stable in terms of valuation.

Essendon, surprisingly, was #1 with $22m. WCE and Hawthorn were the next two (iirc) with around $18m-$21m. There was another club up there with em I think but forgot who. Pies at $6m was lower than expected, but they're operating revenue is friggin phenomenal (almost $70m), which is $20-$30m more than the next best. Although their profit was mid-tier amongst the clubs.

Geelong's revenue from merchandise must be treble that of the next highest (Hawthorn I think). Those premierships have provided a massive windfall in that respect.

Anyway, I've said enough. lol

Of course there are intangibles, which is the quote below...
Melbourne is back in the black and growing its asset base.
And of course being back as a sporting section of the Melbourne Cricket Club helps the football club retain its identity.
I cannot speak for the committee of the Cricket Club (although I've spoken to many of them about the football club) however I'm very sure they wish to see the football club retain its own identity as a division of the Cricket Club.
Melbourne does indeed have an identity and Sydney has the future marketability of being the inaugural NSW club. Neither will go but a club may join them.

Doesn't seem logical for Sydney to be aquiring assets from a Melbourne-based club but the same can't be said for the Demons. While they're identity is not under threat, it's quite possible another club may merge with them to be known as the Melbourne XXXXXXXXXXX.

Have to wait n see what the outcome is after the GC and GWS have been established.

North will eventually, guaranteed. Player salaries are going to double in the next 5 years with the new collective bargaining agreement, clubs are spending more and more on their football departments on better coaches, equipment, facilities, etc to get an edge and they won't be able to keep up and spend enough to stay competitive.

You've also got a huge debt and are entirely reliant on the rather unstable pokie market for your survival.

You've also had a golden - well, as golden as a club like yours can get - era recently and have converted it into no flags.

You had a massive membership boost, in both numbers and revenue, this year on the back of an expected GF appearance.

Wonder if a straight sets exit this finals will spur renewals of those?

I don't want to see the Dogs do badly off field: I've chucked you money when you've tin rattled before and I will do it again. That moment is almost certainly closer than anyone thinks.

But after the ridiculious and offensive attitudes so many of your supporters have shown this season, especially towards North, it is time you came crashing back down to Earth with a thud.

North will eventually, guaranteed. Player salaries are going to double in the next 5 years with the new collective bargaining agreement, clubs are spending more and more on their football departments on better coaches, equipment, facilities, etc to get an edge and they won't be able to keep up and spend enough to stay competitive.

People have been guaranteeing me this for 25 years. Always the same reasons, always the same timeframe.

People have been guaranteeing me this for 25 years. Always the same reasons, always the same timeframe.
The opposite's probably true.
If this were an old-school situation, ie each club basically is run as a separate financial entity who have to make their own books balance, North would (still) be in strife.
But with TV money doubling, all the balancing out stuff the AFL do will have to be just about doubled too.
The TV money is just going to dwarf gate takings, normal commercial income and stuff like that now. Clubs running in the black is basically not the be-all and end-all.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The opposite's probably true.
If this were an old-school situation, ie each club basically is run as a separate financial entity who have to make their own books balance, North would (still) be in strife.
But with TV money doubling, all the balancing out stuff the AFL do will have to be just about doubled too.
The TV money is just going to dwarf gate takings, normal commercial income and stuff like that now. Clubs running in the black is basically not the be-all and end-all.

Exactly. And North is, very quietly, achieving some very impressive stuff with our Learning and Life Centre and community focus. Its real long term guarantee stuff.

Phenomenal idea...

Now lets relocate Carlton to Orlando, Florida so we can call them the Orlando Blues.

Just all makes so much sense...

North Melbourne + Melbourne = North Melbourne Demonic Kangaroos

Some years ago when North Melbourne didn't have enough tall players there was a joke going around that they would merge with the (then) North Melbourne Giants basketball team to become the "North Melbourne Giant Kangaroos":thumbsu:

Some years ago when North Melbourne didn't have enough tall players there was a joke going around that they would merge with the (then) North Melbourne Giants basketball team to become the "North Melbourne Giant Kangaroos":thumbsu:

I think at one point we were officially part of the same organisation. I might be wrong but.

When shit hits the fan, you look at the tangible assets of the club. Cashflow, profit margins, etc. are important as well but are always prone to fluctuations. Assets are a lot more stable in terms of valuation.

Rubbish, cashflow is the heartbeat of a business. There's been plenty of companies that have gone done under who have strong assets, but if there's no cashflow then there's no way to pay the creditors. The vast majority of companies who fail is due to cashflow issues.

Assets are valuable when a company wants to borrow against them.

You're talking shiite.

Wonder if a straight sets exit this finals will spur renewals of those?

I don't want to see the Dogs do badly off field: I've chucked you money when you've tin rattled before and I will do it again. That moment is almost certainly closer than anyone thinks.

But after the ridiculious and offensive attitudes so many of your supporters have shown this season, especially towards North, it is time you came crashing back down to Earth with a thud.

I keep hearing about these offensive attitudes from dogs fans, yet it seems it's the line brought out after dogs fans defend ourselves from north fans.
Doesn't really explain the three anti bulldogs threads on the first page of the north board at the moment, where as you will rarely find us talking about north on the bulldogs board. It's a sad victims mentality a lot of north fans have, yes inevitably there may be a few dogs fans who may want to see north fail, but a large majority, such as myself don't, but will defend my own club.

if geelong ever had to go down this path id support a merger with the bulldogs - Western Cats (would be an absolute powerhouse representing western mel and vic)

hard to believe that 10 vic teams is sustainable long term.

Remove this Banner Ad

Which teams are the most likely to merge in the future?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back