List Mgmt. White X and Ellis

Remove this Banner Ad

Here's a toughie: If WX, Guerra and Rioli are best 22, and I believe they are, who do they replace from the weekend's team? Rioli for Simpkin, Guerra for Duryea, WX for ...?

I did think of that, especially because they have similar attributes and can play similar roles. But Ossie's been excellent since he came back - really at (or near) his hungry, tough and skilful best. I'd forgotten how good he was. And he's a good kick for goal. But yeah, you're probably right. Wouldn't be Hill or Smith, as we need their tank and speed.

Here's a toughie: If WX, Guerra and Rioli are best 22, and I believe they are, who do they replace from the weekend's team? Rioli for Simpkin, Guerra for Duryea, WX for ...?

Hypothetically, what if we extended that list to include Schoe and Suckling...

I'm quiet surprised Ellis still has a spot on our list.

Sorry to say, but he really needs a full year in the 2's. Throwing him in the deep end, then bam, does another injury and forgets to play football for another couple more months!

Yeah, it is staggering
I think everyone agrees that his footy smarts, skill and courage is excellent, it's just his body is still the same as when he was drafted.
You can't continue at the highest level with a 18 year old body, which he STILL has!

Really sad isn't it, as his talent is obvious.

I recall Ladson starting off as a rake and it took him until around late twenties to put on size so hopefully Ellis may follow a similar trend....

Not sure if Ellis putting on weight would solve his injury issues. Not all players need to beef up to reach full potential, look at fletcher, pretty much the same body throughout his career albeit in a much different role. And a role where most believe bulking up is best. X just needs to get durability somehow, with that he would definitely have plenty to add to our team.

I did think of that, especially because they have similar attributes and can play similar roles. But Ossie's been excellent since he came back - really at (or near) his hungry, tough and skilful best. I'd forgotten how good he was. And he's a good kick for goal. But yeah, you're probably right. Wouldn't be Hill or Smith, as we need their tank and speed.

I honestly thought we'd seen the end of Osborne and his contract was a token one.

Has really impressed me and showed he's not going to let his spot go easily.

But like you I couldn't see Hill or Smith leaving the team.

We didn't rush Hodge. We didn't rush Lake.

If we didn't feel the need to rush those guys into the side, during the horror stretch of games we had, then I doubt we will rush Whitey back.

Hard to think what our side will look like when Whitey, Anderson, Rioli and Guerra are all available. Simpkin and Duryea probably go out. After that it gets a bit blurry

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wouldn't waste WhiteX in the Magoos! Is in excellent physical condition and shapes as the (Pardon the Pun) Real X-Factor 4 us this season!

Plays the kind of footy that makes him an automatic inclusion in my book!

Surely Box Hill is the first Step?

I can't fathom a player recovering from a knee-reconstruction and automatically returning to AFL level; the demands are too great, including match conditioning/fitness and self-belief.

I can't fathom a player recovering from a knee-reconstruction and automatically returning to AFL level; the demands are too great, including match conditioning/fitness and self-belief.

This is the greatest challenge mate - most take another 12 months of playing to get trust back into their body that it will hold up - Stratts was a good example - it seriously is a 2 year injury.

Far better than in the '70's & '80's though when it was end of story injury, in the main.

This is the greatest challenge mate - most take another 12 months of playing to get trust back into their body that it will hold up - Stratts was a good example - it seriously is a 2 year injury.

Even more unbelievable that Bailey now appears to be going from strength to strength keeping that in mind. At least with all the ACLs we're getting, we're getting pretty good at the rehab side of things!

As Bumpswithagrin said, WhiteX is due to play at BoxHill after the bye
The article says he's ready to resume playing the week before the bye, but they say no point playing 1 game then having a bye, then playing again
I take it Both Hawthorn and Box Hill have the bye on the same week?

We shouldn't even let him play BH and instead lock him up in the gym and try get some size into him.
(Players rarely put on size while regularly playing VFL/AFL)
Then perhaps if successful, let him play VFL/AFL near the end of the season to see if he is worth persisting with.

What, the last 5 years is not enough evidence that its time for him to go??

I'd have Ozzie in the team ahead of Puopolo in a heart-beat comes Finals time....Not a knock on Poo, just reckon the Tried & proven Seasoned campaigner in Oz would be the better bet....

Like to see Poo try & take on O'Keefe & Hannebery and bring them down in crunching tackles the same way Ossie did on a good half a dozen occasions last week....Just wouldn't happen!

Also Puopolo's finals were very poor last season. May well have been carrying an injury...But if Oz was available he would have been ahead of Poo & still is IMHO!

I'd have Ozzie in the team ahead of Puopolo in a heart-beat comes Finals time....Not a knock on Poo, just reckon the Tried & proven Seasoned campaigner in Oz would be the better bet....

Like to see Poo try & take on O'Keefe & Hannebery and bring them down in crunching tackles the same way Ossie did on a good half a dozen occasions last week....Just wouldn't happen!

Also Puopolo's finals were very poor last season. May well have been carrying an injury...But if Oz was available he would have been ahead of Poo & still is IMHO!

No way. Puopolo's intensity this year has been unbelievable. Osborne has impressed me but Puopolo has been on another level.

Think it's fair to say Poppy copped an ultimatum at the start of the year, high intensity, high aggression at the contest at all times, or saddle up for Box Hill.
And boy has he accepted the challenge........so far!
It's a long season, and he is 1 guy I reckon will NEED a rest at some point
We're a far better team for having a 2013 Poppy in it

Whitecross the same as Ozzie. 1-2 games at Box Hill, and then straight back in when there is an opportunity. An important in, especially with the way we are running multiple guys through the midfield, he'll fit in well with short stints in the middle and up forward. Also can play a defensive forward role really well, and allow other guys to be freed up a bit. Very useful and under-rated player.

Really not sure on Ellis, have to wait and see that he is actually fit before even considering where he'll fit in. Box Hill for several weeks without injury would be the first step. I've always heard how highly he's rated internally, but you'd think looking at our current set up there isn't a clear role for him other than depth at this stage.

I agree with the general consensus that Whitecross is likely in a best 22 and Ellis is depth (at this stage)

For me, we have 19 pretty well in if fit and the remaining 3 spots are a choice out of Guerra (hasn't been quite as good this year and is not getting any younger), Osborne (fantastic efforts the last few weeks), Whitecross (brilliant last year but still has to show it this year), Bailey (we still may opt to go with a one ruck and Roughie as a backup, although not on last week's game!!!), Anderson (shown a lot in the three games but I doubt will be get above everyone above) and Duryea (shown glimpses but still not convinced). I am assuming that Pop, Smith and Hill are all in the Top 22 if fit (and that is underlined and unconditional, i.e. being fit).

Then the rest of our depth starts with Simpkin, Cheney, Ellis (if fit), Savage and Spangher!!!!

If I had to make the call now I would probably see Bailey, Osborne and Guerra getting the nod, with Whitecross being given the task of playing so bloody well that one of them has to be dropped (likely Guerra or Osborne).

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. White X and Ellis

Remove this Banner Ad

Back