Whitten Oval Redevelopment Plans (UPDATE: No AFL Games)

Remove this Banner Ad

I think the reason behind the extra space behind the Barkley street goals is a pretty simple one. Its all a question of using the available playing surface in the most efficient manner possible.

It allows for more room directly in front of the indoor training space. Bringing the boundary back 15 metres into the middle or changing the perimeter fence to fit the perimeter more closely would only reduce the usable surface area of the ground. In my view this allows for players not involved in match sims and the like to still have a sizeable area on which to train. Which despite VFL and WAFL games being played there is its primary purpose.

Or the architects were drunk and nobody noticed until now.

Just a reminder of the configuration prior to the COVID years (2017-2020), a secondary boundary fence was installed behind the goals allowing spectators on the grass area.

WO2018.jpg

During the COVID years (2021-2022B) this was abolished...

WO2022A.jpg

I do believe it will revert back to the original configuration once the development is complete. As stated previously it's a balance and I think we can all agree that we don't it to become like Princes Park and have a "dead end" with no spectators...

PPRD.png

Just a reminder of the configuration prior to the COVID years (2017-2020), a secondary boundary fence was installed behind the goals allowing spectators on the grass area.

View attachment 1756690

View attachment 1756693

I do believe it will revert back to the original configuration once the development is complete. As stated previously it's a balance and I think we can all agree that we don't it to become like Princes Park and have a "dead end" with no spectators...

View attachment 1756697
God Princess Park really, really ****ed it up. What a terrible ground.

Is it 100% confirmed that we won't play AFL games here?
As much as anything's 100% in the AFL. Not even a hopeful hint from anyone connected to the club.

I can't see it fitting into the AFL's stadium strategy.

Still awaiting for final confirmation but as mentioned several times in the posts above the reason is almost certainly so the Barkly St end doesn't become like the Royle Parade end at Princes Park which is essentially dead with no supporters allowed. My understanding is that the plan has always been to allow spectators and a cheer squad on the grass area behind the goals as it was during AFLW matches prior to COVID.

As you can see in redevelopment renders/plans for WO there is a secondary boundary fence just behind the goals for spectators and a full cheer squad, unlike Princes Park. At the moment it just looks odd as construction is still ongoing and it looks very barren at the Barkly St end but once the match day pavilion, paths, etc, etc are done it will come up a treat but again I'll try and get a full explanation from the club on their reasoning.

View attachment 1756575
View attachment 1756577
That looks so great, surely the plan is to play 2 AFL games here in 2025 and get the hell out of Ballarat 🤮

That looks so great, surely the plan is to play 2 AFL games here in 2025 and get the hell out of Ballarat
Will never happen unfortunately. Capacity needed to be around 25,000 to make this viable financially

On SM-G996B using BigFooty.com mobile app

View attachment 1756690

View attachment 1756693

View attachment 1756697

Anyone else hear this in their head when looking at the monstrosity that is PP?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good to see they mentioned we are trying to get AFL pre season games back at WO, hope that leads into H/A games

I'd love them to hire out the lap pool after hours. I'd pay good money per session.

What's the building near the drill hall (not the big one, the smaller one)?
Believe that is the "Match Day Pavilion" they mentioned at the end, so food stall, bar, kitchen, shop etc

Believe that is the "Match Day Pavilion" they mentioned at the end, so food stall, bar, kitchen, shop etc

Yep that's correct but I don't believe it will be ready in time for this year's AFLW season. Public facilities/amenities will be limited for the AFLW this year as construction will continue into 2024 but hopefully the majority will be complete for a pre-season men's match and they certainly will be completed by next years AFLW season.

No more secret spot to watch closed training session at the WO :(

Have they widened the ground? There is now a concrete path at the top of the mound which used to be grass & then a 2 foot fence blocking the view.

Not much crowd space on that side & it's all concrete - YUK

See here:

1695960335885.png

Attachments

• 1695959924964.png
    1695959924964.png
    993.9 KB · Views: 117
Have they widened the ground?

View attachment 1817084

No in fact the ground was actually pushed closer to Gordon St to allow more room on the grandstand side, in doing that it meant that there was no longer any space to sit on the widest part of the wing but the overall capacity will remain at 10,500 with more spots to sit/stand in the pockets.

Despite the result, the atmosphere was great tonight and the redevelopment is looking outstanding with only a couple of minor things that bothered me, such as the lack of grass in front of the scoreboard, not sure why they went for plants there. It's so nice not having any ugly temporary lights as well. The surface looked outstanding as well, can't wait for next year when it will all be done.

Last edited:
No in fact the ground was actually pushed closer to Geelong Rd to allow more room on the grandstand side, in doing that it meant that there was no longer any space to sit on the widest part of the wing but the overall capacity will remain at 10,500 with more spots to sit/stand in the pockets.

Despite the result, the atmosphere was great tonight and the redevelopment is looking outstanding with only a couple of minor things that bothered me, such as the lack of grass in front of the scoreboard, not sure why they went for plants there. It's so nice not having any ugly temporary lights as well. The surface looked outstanding as well, can't wait for next year when it will all be done.
I still don't get how they've lost all that space between the oval fence and Gordon St. Used to be a 8 -10 step terrace there, then after the grandstand went there was a grassy hill people sat on. Now there's only room for 1 deep and the concrete path.

I still don't get how they've lost all that space between the oval fence and Gordon St. Used to be a 8 -10 step terrace there, then after the grandstand went there was a grassy hill people sat on. Now there's only room for 1 deep and the concrete path.

Sorry I meant to wright Gordon St not Geelong Rd. So essentially the ground wash pushed several metres closer to Gordon St to allow for extra room on the grandstand side of the ground due to the new Whitten Stand being wider than the previous.

Remove this Banner Ad

Whitten Oval Redevelopment Plans (UPDATE: No AFL Games)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back