Who’s stepping up to play in 2021?

Which of these players will play at least half the 2021 H&A season?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Does he though? Bucks was pretty forthright with his opinion that Kelly would have played as much as 11 games last year had he not been injured. I think that internally the club really rates him and unless Cox shows enough over the preseason he could easily find himself in the VFL in round 1, depending on how the club wants the forward line set up.

Did Kelly kick one goal one debut and was it in the last qtr?

Did Kelly kick one goal one debut and was it in the last qtr?
Kicked 1 on debut. Wasn’t the last qtr. I believe he broke his arm early in the last qtr or late 3rd from memory.

Similar question to the original; who will benefit/struggle most (comparable to 2020 output) from the change back to longer quarters?

*Also, what's the big knock on the Brown boys? I don't mind them!

What’s the most goals Keane has kicked in a VFL match? What about him makes you think he can make the step up to claim a forward spot at AFL level?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Great core strength
Great hands
Good recovery
Courage
Agressuon
Beautiful kick

There are a few players at the club that people have written off already

I"ll be interested to watch the following who could all pleasantly surprise people

Callum Brown
Will Hoskin-Elliott
Mark Keane
Tyler Brown
Brayden Sier.

Why are you so negative on Murphy?

Been in the system long enough and hadn’t shown that thing were you say, yep he’s got it. Gets injuries a lot as well, was hopeful at times but seems like he has stagnated- for too long now

Happy to be proven wrong but as we get more players into the system, types like him get pushed back further I.e Shazza.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There are a few players at the club that people have written off already

I"ll be interested to watch the following who could all pleasantly surprise people

Callum Brown
Will Hoskin-Elliott
Mark Keane
Tyler Brown
Brayden Sier.

I rate WHE and Tyler Brown to have a Impact.

Don't Rate Callum Highly.

Doubt Sier can do it Mentally

Keane is a UnKown for me

Sier’s credits from a handful of good games in 2018 (were they very good? I can’t recall) must surely be running out. He may be one of our worst shoulda/coulda/woulda players, and we’ve had a few.

I don't think it's necessarily dysfunctional. Teams talk about talls giving you structure, with two talls at each end and a ruckman being the preferred structure for most teams, I personally think we should have a tall on the bench. That'd be six talls - all playing roughly 80% game time, with Cox swinging between forward and covering Grundy in the ruck and Kelly and/or Mihocek swinging between forward and covering the tall defenders. Also gives you the option to create mismatches when desirable.

If you have too many talls it will take away from structure. Too many talls and you can't compete at ground level. I'm actually surprised you favour that structure given your comments on forwards and the importance of winning ground level football.

Even if you attempt to balance it with rotations it means you lose mobility across the ground and running power from your bench. That's really important for transition and to keep your offensive and defensive shape.

Does he though? Bucks was pretty forthright with his opinion that Kelly would have played as much as 11 games last year had he not been injured. I think that internally the club really rates him and unless Cox shows enough over the preseason he could easily find himself in the VFL in round 1, depending on how the club wants the forward line set up.

I think Cox is the incumbent. The back end of his season will offer Buckley and the coaches enough hope to favour him over the other options to start the 2021 season. I can't see us playing all of Cox, Kelly, Mihocek and De Goey forward for the same structural issues I've discussed before. If we do, I reckon it's a mistake.

If you have too many talls it will take away from structure. Too many talls and you can't compete at ground level. I'm actually surprised you favour that structure given your comments on forwards and the importance of winning ground level football.

Even if you attempt to balance it with rotations it means you lose mobility across the ground and running power from your bench. That's really important for transition and to keep your offensive and defensive shape.
I like two talls and four blokes who are genuinely dangerous ground level players - Ala Richmond. Considering tall positions are more than a quarter of your 18, I think a bench spot for a tall is justified. With all the talk of structure, I don't really understand why a team like Collingwood chooses to continually change their structure away from two talls at each end and a ruckman. Without a tall on the bench, you probably have your preferred structure for significantly less than 50% of game time. In many ways we play WHE as our tall on the bench who comes on to chop out the tall forwards - I'd just play a proper tall rather than WHE and do a bit of forward back rotation so they don't have to do the flanker minutes that WHE does.

Sier’s credits from a handful of good games in 2018 (were they very good? I can’t recall) must surely be running out. He may be one of our worst shoulda/coulda/woulda players, and we’ve had a few.

Was outstanding in his last game with us, playing the game out with an injured quad. I have faith in his attitude... its just a clean run with injury we need to pray for.

I think Cox is the incumbent. The back end of his season will offer Buckley and the coaches enough hope to favour him over the other options to start the 2021 season. I can't see us playing all of Cox, Kelly, Mihocek and De Goey forward for the same structural issues I've discussed before. If we do, I reckon it's a mistake.
I don’t think DeGoey will be playing forward in 2021.

Remove this Banner Ad

Who’s stepping up to play in 2021?

Back