Who Do Hawthorn

Remove this Banner Ad

yeahmate said:
Hawks will offer to on-trade whatever pick it gets from Sydney to Carlton packaged up with pick 24 (and maybe a fringe player) for Thornton, so what Hawks accept from Sydney will depend upon what Carlton will accept for Thornton.

If Carlton are OK with fringe player + 24 + 49 (or whatever third round Swans have) then Hawks will accept 49 from Sydney for Everitt. If Carlton wont deal for pick 49 and insist on 33 then Hawks won't deal with Sydney for anything except 33.

Bottom line is for Hawks pick 49 has no value in itself unless it can be used as part of the Thornton trade. If swans wont move on 49 and blues wont deal then both Everitt and Thornton will go into PSD. This may be worth the risk for hawthorn because if Thornton gets through (which is more than likely if he back ends his contract) then Hawks keep pick 24 and are in a better position than if they dealt.
I think a lot depends on how badly they want Thornton.If Hawthorn were to agree to pick 33 for Everitt and tgether with pick 24 offered that to Carlton, they may find Carlton all of a sudden willing to talk.This is all about power positioning, nothing more.Pagan (BELIEVE ME), will not budge on what is on the table, regardless of what happens to Thornton.

yeahmate said:
Hawks will offer to on-trade whatever pick it gets from Sydney to Carlton packaged up with pick 24 (and maybe a fringe player) for Thornton, so what Hawks accept from Sydney will depend upon what Carlton will accept for Thornton.

If Carlton are OK with fringe player + 24 + 49 (or whatever third round Swans have) then Hawks will accept 49 from Sydney for Everitt. If Carlton wont deal for pick 49 and insist on 33 then Hawks won't deal with Sydney for anything except 33.

Bottom line is for Hawks pick 49 has no value in itself unless it can be used as part of the Thornton trade. If swans wont move on 49 and blues wont deal then both Everitt and Thornton will go into PSD. This may be worth the risk for hawthorn because if Thornton gets through (which is more than likely if he back ends his contract) then Hawks keep pick 24 and are in a better position than if they dealt.
I really doubt he will get to the Hawks via the PSD, i'd also be very wary of taking someone on a big backended contract, particularly when our young team will be renewing current contracts in a couple of years when these players should be looking for bigger dollars.
24 + 49 + Fringe player will not get us Thornton.

Im guessing hawks want thornton enough to offer carlton 24 + 33 (assuming we can get it from Sydney) + maybe a fringe player (not sure who though) for Thornton.

I think carlton would be crazy not to accept that deal and let Thornton walk, unless they can convince Thornton to change his mind and stay. Although it is emotional when a player says he doesnt want to play for the club, in the end business is business and that deal should be too good for the blues to pass up for a player that is going anyway.

On the other hand, hawks don't really lose much if they pass up pick 49 (assuming that is all swans offer and carlton wont take it as part of thornton deal) and let everitt go in the PSD. everitt is out of contract and going anyway. Pick 49 = nothing to Hawthorn (just a marginal upgrade on another 3rd round pick we already have).

worthy said:

100% correct.:thumbsu:

Pick 24 may turn out to be a decent 150 game player, chances are pick 49 won't, and Carlton already have 15 fringe players.

worthy said:
I really doubt he will get to the Hawks via the PSD, i'd also be very wary of taking someone on a big backended contract, particularly when our young team will be renewing current contracts in a couple of years when these players should be looking for bigger dollars.

sorry, should have probably said "front ended" not "back ended". Still a bit of a risk for Hawthorn, but only really a financial one and one that is easily managed.

If I was Hawthorn I would look to involving the Tigers, and bundling up Andrew Krakeour in the Thornton trade.

The Tigers would probably take a third round pick to be relieved of him.

24, 33 and Krakeour might do it.

sput1956 said:
100% correct.:thumbsu:

Pick 24 may turn out to be a decent 150 game player, chances are pick 49 won't, and Carlton already have 15 fringe players.

If I was Hawthorn, I would be looking to get the Tigers involved somewhere, and bundle krakeour into a trade.

The Tigers would probably take a straight up third rounder to be relieved of him.

i wouldnt be so sure about carlton not accepting pick 24 + 49 (or hawks third rounder instead) + fringe player for Thornton if the alternative is to let him go into psd. although that is probably a deal that is less than ideal its still saleable to the members if thorton has made up his mind. the alternative of getting nothing is probably not.

sput1956 said:
If I was Hawthorn I would look to involving the Tigers, and bundling up Andrew Krakeour in the Thornton trade.

The Tigers would probably take a third round pick to be relieved of him.

24, 33 and Krakeour might do it.
Can't, we are using our 3rd round pick on a F/S selection.

Besides, Thornton is not worth 2 second round picks and a 3rd rounder.

DynamoUltra said:
Yeah, but all he can do is nominate his salary. After that, anyone can pick him up regardless of the coaching situation etc that you have pointed out.

Agree, but realisticly there are only 3 clubs in Sydney, St Kilda and maybe Adelaide that are in the hunt.

St Kilda seem to have ruled themselves out and Adelaide have not uttered a word so it aint a very large list of suitors.

DST
:D

Frankston Rover said:
Well, he f**ked Laidley and the 'Roos pretty good.

He's also managed to get a fine list of young talent together too.

If only you could afford someone of his talents......
you can have him he is all yours, lish schmiley sounds a lot like pelchen!

DST said:
Agree, but realisticly there are only 3 clubs in Sydney, St Kilda and maybe Adelaide that are in the hunt.

St Kilda seem to have ruled themselves out and Adelaide have not uttered a word so it aint a very large list of suitors.

DST
:D

Would Collingwood entertain Spider ?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We've said we aren't accepting their 3rd rounder, and reports say we're progressing with the swans to something like pick 33 and downgrading of picks in 4th/5th round.

24 + 33 is good from our end, hope Carlton realise its better than nothing.

Remove this Banner Ad

Who Do Hawthorn

Remove this Banner Ad

Back