List Mgmt. Who do you want to draft?

.... with Pick 12 in the 2018 AFL Draft, the GFC select (can pick one Available, Dreamer and Smokie

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Yes, I do. Though with the raps on his character and leadership the benefits he has on the club as a whole could be worth it.

Edit - the players I'm thinking could be elite and available at our pick are Hately, Caldwell and Stocker.

Yes, it's that aspect of his package that is appealing. We are badly needing players with leadership qualities coming through. No one of the younger group currently stands out in that regard.

What about RCD? Don't think he'll be available or don't think he can become elite? Likewise Clark?

Last edited:
I wonder whether Gold Coast will call the draftees’ bluff and go for a haul of South Australians, which you would think they would have the backing of the AFL to do and which they have alr day announced as their intention.

If they went Lukosius and Smith at two and three then Rozee would still be there at six, because Rankine seems like a good fit for Port (5) and the Kings stay in Melbourne with one at St Kilda (pick 4) and the other at the Dogs (7).

It’s hard to see Adelaide letting that happen but I can’t see why GC would deal with them, so Carlton is really the only option if the Crows want to be sure of Lukosius.

There seems to be mixed reports as to whether GC will take Rankine or Rozee with Lukosius at 3. Hadn't heard Smith mentioned but who knows? I doubt they'd take the risk though of drafting Lukosius without taking another SA player at 3.

Yes, it's that aspect of his package that is appealing. We are badly needing players with leadership qualities coming through. No one of the younger group currently stands out in that regard.

What about RCD? Don't think he'll be available or don't think he can become elite? Likewise Clark?

RCD I'm just not sure about. His TAC form wasn't great and his 2km time trial was atrocious. I just wonder if people are getting caught up in the tall midfielder hype.

Clark I think will be a jet, but not in the midfield.

There seems to be mixed reports as to whether GC will take Rankine or Rozee with Lukosius at 3. Hadn't heard Smith mentioned but who knows? I doubt they'd take the risk though of drafting Lukosius without taking another SA player at 3.

Where have you heard this? Last I heard GCS we’re taking both Kings at 2 & 3.

Where have you heard this? Last I heard GCS we’re taking both Kings at 2 & 3.

Ha! I heard the Kings have told them that they want to stay in Melb and would look to come home after 2 years. Maybe things have changed? So much rumour and innuendo at this time of the year. Hard to separate the crap from the legitimate.

Ha! I heard the Kings have told them that they want to stay in Melb and would look to come home after 2 years. Maybe things have changed? So much rumour and innuendo at this time of the year. Hard to separate the crap from the legitimate.

That could be right. I heard that news a few weeks ago now so it could have changed. FWIW I heard:

1. Walsh
  2. M.King
  3. B.King
  4. Luko
  5. Rankine

RCD I'm just not sure about. His TAC form wasn't great and his 2km time trial was atrocious. I just wonder if people are getting caught up in the tall midfielder hype.

Yes that 2km time was concerning. He looks to have the tools though to be a very good tall mid. I like his close work in traffic and his decision making seems pretty good. Foot skills look good too. The fact he can push forward as an option is a plus.

Yes that 2km time was concerning. He looks to have the tools though to be a very good tall mid. I like his close work in traffic and his decision making seems pretty good. Foot skills look good too. The fact he can push forward as an option is a plus.
Endurance isn’t the biggest thing, if it was Billy Hartung would be an AFL footballer and Cam Rayner wouldn’t be

My preference for mids (that we realistically have a chance of getting) as it stands is:

1. Jackson Hately
  2. Liam Stocker
  3. Jye Caldwell
  4. Xavier O'Halloran
  5. Xavier Duursma
  6. RCD
  7. Chayce Jones
I think the first four will be good AFL players (if Caldwell can stay fit), the last three I'm not sure about.

I don’t think Smith has been mentioned. Sorry, my post was a bit muddled: what I was trying to say is that it sounds like the Coast either has to go South Australian regardless of what the draftees said in interview, or, in way, the draft system is damaged.

But I am also trying to think about how they get safe picks without having been able to take Walsh... taking Smith would be a lateral move, but I don’t think costs them: they get a rock solid Victorian mid, two stars from the same school in SA, and a hell of a lot can change after a year or two at a club. Why not back themselves to make the best players want to stay, rather than postponing a good pick until next year.

Unless, of course, they could find a way to get one of those high picks to the Cats ... that I would take :)

My preference for mids (that we realistically have a chance of getting) as it stands is:

1. Jackson Hately
  2. Liam Stocker
  3. Jye Caldwell
  4. Xavier O'Halloran
  5. Xavier Duursma
  6. RCD
  7. Chayce Jones
I think the first four will be good AFL players (if Caldwell can stay fit), the last three I'm not sure about.

I haven't seen much of Stocker so can't rate.

My list:

1. Hately
2. RCD
3. Duursma
4. O'Halloran
5. Caldwell (only due to concern about hammies)
6. Jones

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Totally agree. I feel the same about athletic testing. People get too caught up in size and numbers, especially in this new age of big mids. Look at Zac Merrett and Clayton Oliver if you worry about size. M crouch ect ect the list goes on. There is no need to focus on any one style or get seduced by other teams great players because that is what cripps, the bont and fyfe are. They are just great players regardless of their size. Look at the dominant brownlow medalist this year. Size for a mid is very overrated right now IMHO.

Do you think though that O'Halloran will be just another 2nd tier mid? I'd avoid him at 12 for that reason.

Im not sure how we can determine the 2nd tier thing. XOH stood out in several areas at the combine.. has leadership ..and would be another solid pick ..a bit like Parfitt for mine where it would not surprise me seeing him play early ..if fit. Thats not to say others are bad picks at all.. certainly Stocker sounds a good add. There is probably a group of players in that 10-20 range ..and it will just get dow to who Wells likes....
unless we trade our 12 of course to get earlier.

Im not sure how we can determine the 2nd tier thing. XOH stood out in several areas at the combine.. has leadership ..and would be another solid pick ..a bit like Parfitt for mine where it would not surprise me seeing him play early ..if fit. Thats not to say others are bad picks at all.. certainly Stocker sounds a good add. There is probably a group of players in that 10-20 range ..and it will just get dow to who Wells likes....
unless we trade our 12 of course to get earlier.

Fair enough. I know your bullish on him and I do like him as well. Just have other preferences in front of him. The way I see it is we should be trying to get a kid who is most likely to become elite regardless of the position they play. From what I’ve seen there is more chance we will see that with Clark and Sturt as flankers than the mids touted to be around when we first pick. I do like the mods including XOH and RCD but like most years, wish we had another pick or two in the teens..

Fair enough. I know your bullish on him and I do like him as well. Just have other preferences in front of him. The way I see it is we should be trying to get a kid who is most likely to become elite regardless of the position they play. From what I’ve seen there is more chance we will see that with Clark and Sturt as flankers than the mids touted to be around when we first pick. I do like the mods including XOH and RCD but like most years, wish we had another pick or two in the teens..

I wholeheartedly agree on the elite thing ... which to plan for is difficult. To really target elite..you have to try to get into the single figure picks .. or its a fraction more luck involved. I have not seen enough of Sturt to say anything on him...Clark I'm less impressed with at this stage..but again its all so little data. If I was going to guess who is the most likely to develop into an elite Selwood type ..it sounds like Stocker for eg.

I guess it also depends on the warrant given to Wells .. will we just add another mid or be more role specific... if we project two to three years down the track..who is our mid group for example. What we appear to lack is a couple of young mids so good they will push the older group out of the middle.. CC could easily be better than where he was picked but do elite talent never player in the first year?Probably there are examples... he does need to marking his turf in 19.
Im not that fussed now that we are not going to get the tall we had been focusing on... I don't see the the must add. Id certain consider bidding on TT at 12 if he has not gone...especially now Menz has gone.

I doubt GC will take both Kings too much flight risk.

Luko Rozee and maybe Smith is my guess unless they punt on Rankine but he might scare the non SA clubs off.

I want to bid 12 on Scott and then TT who both suit our needs (and pushes our late picks up). When those bids are matched pick again I dont want RCD apart from poor production him and Constable are both loe endurance mids and I think in modern footy you can only have one.

Id like a gun small forward but I dont see a Higgins at 12 this year. So I'd go for the best replacement for Kelly in 12 months. Clark's my ideal pick if he goes before us then I really like Curtis Taylor but Hill (flight risk yes maybe) Hately Caldwell (injuries worry) Stocker and Jones are all players I would consider.

I have heard the Suns want Walsh and will try and get pick 1.

Walsh is the least flight risk potential thats why.

Carlton dont need Luko though so I cant see them trading 1.

Luko Rozee and maybe Smith is my guess unless they punt on Rankine but he might scare the non SA clubs off.

I want to bid 12 on Scott and then TT who both suit our needs (and pushes our late picks up). When those bids are matched pick again I dont want RCD apart from poor production him and Constable are both loe endurance mids and I think in modern footy you can only have one.

Id like a gun small forward but I dont see a Higgins at 12 this year. So I'd go for the best replacement for Kelly in 12 months. Clark's my ideal pick if he goes before us then I really like Curtis Taylor but Hill (flight risk yes maybe) Hately Caldwell (injuries worry) Stocker and Jones are all players I would consider.

Dont draft me dont draft me ... perhaps its time to up the payments based from 1 down ... every kid should be wanting to be picked. AFL have made this mess... they have to step up and fix it. Start by uncontracted players that go back into the draft is not a total loss of value to the club..atm there is too much hand in favour of the players..

Dont draft me dont draft me ... perhaps its time to up the payments based from 1 down ... every kid should be wanting to be picked. AFL have made this mess... they have to step up and fix it. Start by uncontracted players that go back into the draft is not a total loss of value to the club..atm there is too much hand in favour of the players..

This...a hundred times this. This..."draft me and I will walk out in two years" is an abomination...contracts should be structured in some way to stop this practice in its tracks.

Act now AFL....

I’d want to know a fair bit more about RCD’s conditioning up until now before writing him off. How much room for improvement is there in building a tank? But I agree that he is a similar type to Constable so that puts others ahead of him.

Clark is my top pick as well but I have a feeling we will just miss out on him with one of the GWS picks before us. I’d have Sturt next in front of Taylor as I think there’s more scope for improvement. He’s quicker too and god knows we need leg speed.

Next come a couple of mids in Hately and RCD.

That could be right. I heard that news a few weeks ago now so it could have changed. FWIW I heard:

1. Walsh
  2. M.King
  3. B.King
  4. Luko
  5. Rankine

If I was St Kilda I just would not know what to do with myself because I would be so ecstatic. It is ridiculous that Luko isn't 1. I can sort of understand because of Carlton's list but I reckon you just take him anyway because he is an absolute freak. I have never seen anything like it at his size. He has the potential to be one of the all time greats. None of the others do apart from Rankine. If they go 4 and 5 it is laughable but the clubs who get them will be beside themselves!

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Who do you want to draft?

Back