Bumped Who DON'T you want to draft with your first pick? (2013)

Remove this Banner Ad

Nov 22, 2003
AFL Club
Richmond
Been doing this thread title for a number of years now.

Plenty of punters/ draft watchers narrowing their preferred draftee list down to a few now.

But who don't you want to draft, and why?

For me, it's Lennon. Big kick and all, and I'm no expert, but I saw his interview and he said his biggest problem was women, he's way too excitable on field for mine - almost manufactured - and I think he may be a squib.

So, only the 3 Brownlows likely. ;)

Who's on your Do Not Want list?

*Disclaimer: Not a draft watcher, just going off of what I've read and watched on Youtube*

Jonathan Marsh. As a Port supporter, tweeners with an undefined role set off alarm bells. Westhoff turned out OK (although even he's only had two or three good seasons out of seven) but the rest have been spud city.

Lewis Taylor. For a player that small to be worthy of a first pick, he has to have something truly exceptional about him IMO. Billy Hartung has it with his speed and line-breaking ability. I don't see it with Lewis Taylor.

Raph Clarke... But seriously, with pick 3 I would hope to get one of Billings, Kelly, Aish or Scharenberg. Anyone else (Boyd excluded) would be a disappointment for me.

*Disclaimer: Not a draft watcher, just going off of what I've read and watched on Youtube*

Jonathan Marsh. As a Port supporter, tweeners with an undefined role set off alarm bells. Westhoff turned out OK (although even he's only had two or three good seasons out of seven) but the rest have been spud city.

Lewis Taylor. For a player that small to be worthy of a first pick, he has to have something truly exceptional about him IMO. Billy Hartung has it with his speed and line-breaking ability. I don't see it with Lewis Taylor.
If your first pick is at 21 I think you'd be pretty happy with Taylor

Not sure you have seen Lewis Taylor play. Elite skills by foot and hand, super quick and evasive in tight, works inside and outside and they could not get near him in the champs as a 17 and 18 year old. Also helps that he gets the ball 35 times a game.

His record of drafting guns And never wasting a first round pick. :confused:

Hines first rounders.
Thomas pick 2
Pendlebury 5
Reid 8
Brown 10
Sidebottom 11
Grundy 18
But Jackson Paine, a former pick in the 50s, has been traded to Brisbane. This conclusively proves Hine is rubbish :rolleyes:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Matt Crouch. Ball magnet who reportedly isn't a great kick and that damaging on the outside. As it stands, we have a few players like that who can find it, but aren't that silky and goal scores.

Lot of love for Crouch on the Carlton board. Suspect some think he's as fast and as damaging as his brother.
For me, it's Lennon. Big kick and all, and I'm no expert, but I saw his interview and he said his biggest problem was women, he's way too excitable on field for mine - almost manufactured - and I think he may be a squib.

So, only the 3 Brownlows likely. ;)
o_O

Mad Carlton fan like Tom Boyd. :)

Crouch and Freeman.

Suspect kicking. I'm wary of Freeman been compared to Judd and Dangerfield when he is 181 cm.

More interested in a Dumont/Dunstan type to replace Judd as a big bodied mid or a skilled player like Acres/Lennon.

On 2nd thought I'd be fine with Crouch. Freeman is still concerning.

His record of drafting guns And never wasting a first round pick. :confused:

Hines first rounders.
Thomas pick 2
Pendlebury 5
Reid 8
Brown 10
Sidebottom 11
Grundy 18

I'm not saying Hine is crap or anything like that but how does fair in the second, third and fourth rounds? And the rookie draft too.

Not sure you have seen Lewis Taylor play. Elite skills by foot and hand, super quick and evasive in tight, works inside and outside and they could not get near him in the champs as a 17 and 18 year old. Also helps that he gets the ball 35 times a game.

Have a look at Quigleys assessment of him, it mirrors what I got from only his highlights package. FWIW Quigs rated him as a 3rd rounder....

Just don't see it with Freeman - I have only seen him play three matches + highlights, so could well be wrong, but doesn't get much of the footy and he doesn't seem to use his pace as often as he is reputed to.

Really? Would have been funny if Pendlbry was offered over a million a year as a 20 year old to see where youd be sitting.

Are you trying to compare Scully to Pendlebury? :confused:

Considering you're a Saints fan I find that amusing, but if you want to ware your Demons hat, GWS done them a favour in taking Scully IMO, talk about dodging a bullet.

Remove this Banner Ad

Bumped Who DON'T you want to draft with your first pick? (2013)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back