Who Goes, Who Stays?

Remove this Banner Ad

Hmm, what about Christian Howard - can he play in Harbrow's position?

He is about to do his second pre-season, will he be good to go does anyone know?

Watched Howard a few times at Willi and on those performances he probably needs a strong preseason and the first half of next year at Willi with impressive games and then he may press for selection with the Dogs. Being injured for the first half of 2010 certainly did not provide for a solid foundation this year.

There are good signs but a lot of bridges to cross before breaking into the Dogs team.

Is this the same Hargrave who repeatedly bombs away under the slightest bit of pressure?

He has had a shocking year and his penchant for panic is almost cowardly.

Its funny how Hargrave bombs the ball a couple of times and thats all he is remembered for, yet he has 24 posessions in a prelim and is staedy as a rock in defence. Compare that to someone like Harbrow whose kicking effieciency is less than 50% and no one says a word. Some players cannot win with our supporters.

Hargrave seems fairly inconspicuous - doesn't seem to do any damage. But I do agree his delivery and composure in defence are pretty good. If he's really been playing on one leg for the last three months then he has done well.

Harbrow however is admired because he not only gets possession but he breaks the lines and carries the ball. So he gains many additional metres (a bit like Griffen). Having broken up play he then has a better chance of spotting a loose player upfield than Hargrave whose play is a bit more predictable, allowing defenders to man up and forcing his disposals to be to a contest.

Also I was reading on another thread tonight (forgotten which one) that Harbrow has the MOST kicks to advantage in the club. This doesn't stack up with the <50% kicking efficiency you claim.

Hargrave seems fairly inconspicuous - doesn't seem to do any damage. But I do agree his delivery and composure in defence are pretty good. If he's really been playing on one leg for the last three months then he has done well.

Harbrow however is admired because he not only gets possession but he breaks the lines and carries the ball. So he gains many additional metres (a bit like Griffen). Having broken up play he then has a better chance of spotting a loose player upfield than Hargrave whose play is a bit more predictable, allowing defenders to man up and forcing his disposals to be to a contest.

Also I was reading on another thread tonight (forgotten which one) that Harbrow has the MOST kicks to advantage in the club. This doesn't stack up with the <50% kicking efficiency you claim.

Harbows disposal efficiency for the year was 73.75% which is a good number.

Justin Shermans disposal efficiency for the year was 66.30%. At the bulldogs that number would have only beaten Boyd, plus 3 guys who had little game time in Callan, Reid and Jones. It is not a flattering statistic and not a good selling point given we need to introduce good kicks into our side.

Its funny how Hargrave bombs the ball a couple of times and thats all he is remembered for, yet he has 24 posessions in a prelim and is staedy as a rock in defence. Compare that to someone like Harbrow whose kicking effieciency is less than 50% and no one says a word. Some players cannot win with our supporters.

Of his 24 touches, at least 5 were indiscriminate turn overs from bombing away. In a cut throat final, that lack of composure kills you.

You might be happy with him just being steady, but I expect more.

Also, no one gave a shit about Harbrow's game because everyone knew he was gone.

Of his 24 touches, at least 5 were indiscriminate turn overs from bombing away. In a cut throat final, that lack of composure kills you.

Seems to have a proven track record as a habitual offender in this regard. Grabs it, kicks it as far as he can & then watches as it sails back over his head with interest.

outs 2010 -
johnno,eagle,aker,harbrow,hahn?,callan?,

ins 2010-
mitch wallis,thomas liberatore, justin sherman?,matt rosa?

You might be happy with him just being steady, but I expect more.

Also, no one gave a shit about Harbrow's game because everyone knew he was gone.

Sorry your wrong, have another look at the game.

Sorry your wrong, have another look at the game.

I could only stomach re-watching the first half and he kicked it straight to a Saints player twice. Another time he kicked it to a 2 on 1 contest.

That's 3 in one half.

If he didn't make an error in the second half (which I doubt), I apologise.

Look, Shaggy is a versatile and important member of the backline. If he gets himself fit after a good pre-season, I have no doubt he can get back to his 2009 form.

The fact is, his 2010 was filled with panicked turnovers under pressure that need to be removed from his game if he wants to help us go a step further.

Agree Comrade.

Most of Shaggy's stats come from cheap kick to kicks in the backline and the opposition would be delighted when he gets the ball because under pressure he turns it over. Also watch how he plays on a forward that takes him to within 30 metres of goal, he watches the ball his opponent goes back and takes an easy mark, watch the first game against the Pies Medhurst kicked four and should have kicked six.

He has struggled all year and will now be under pressure to hold his spot in 2011.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I know this has been said before but any chance Eade will have the balls to start Lake forward from round 1? Our forward line needs so much improvement and you would back Lake in every 1 on 1 contest and Hall if theres space in front. This would also make life easier for players like Gia and Grant.

Better to get Lake used to playing forward instead of moving him forward in matches when we are like 30pts down. I know this will weaken our defence a lot but surely its worth the risk if we can get the backline structure right without Lake?

However this would mean we would need to recruit a key defender. Thoughts?

Rumours on Carlton board about a trade involving andrew walker and everitt. Just wanted to know what doggies fans think and what kind of picks (if any) would need to be swapped to keep people happy?

I know this has been said before but any chance Eade will have the balls to start Lake forward from round 1? Our forward line needs so much improvement and you would back Lake in every 1 on 1 contest and Hall if theres space in front. This would also make life easier for players like Gia and Grant.

Better to get Lake used to playing forward instead of moving him forward in matches when we are like 30pts down. I know this will weaken our defence a lot but surely its worth the risk if we can get the backline structure right without Lake?

However this would mean we would need to recruit a key defender. Thoughts?

i remember watching a game and robert Walls was saying that you can always teach a guy how to play back, but you cant teach a guy to play Forward (about Lake) and that he should be played forward.

I said this before the saints game, due to the fact that the saints backs do this that they drop of their man and get 2-3 to Halland cause the turn over.

If we started Lake at CHF with Hall Hooper and Grant deep, this would have meant that the saints backs would have been forced to man up and if we got it into the hands of Gia Gilbee and Eagleton getting into our forward 50 i think that we would have kicked a winning Score.

I have also said that we should open up every position on the ground bar our spine (that should never change) and just get the games into Grant Jones and Roughead

FB Morris Lake .........
CHB........Williams.......
C
CHF.........Jones.............
FF Grant Hall............
R Hudson....... ...........

challange everyone else for their spots

Rumours on Carlton board about a trade involving andrew walker and everitt. Just wanted to know what doggies fans think and what kind of picks (if any) would need to be swapped to keep people happy?

I don't think any. A straight player swap would be sufficient.

I would be very happy with this trade.

I have also said that we should open up every position on the ground bar our spine (that should never change) and just get the games into Grant Jones and Roughead

FB Morris Lake .........
CHB........Williams.......
C
CHF.........Jones.............
FF Grant Hall............
R Hudson....... ...........

challange everyone else for their spots

I sort of agree, but would also keep Cooney, Picken and Griff in there, as they are certainties...

Let the others fight it out for spots....

Remove this Banner Ad

Who Goes, Who Stays?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back