Who has the potential to be a dynasty this decade?

Remove this Banner Ad

Post WW2! after which you for the next 40 years you could just buy a premiership with your cheque book!! Understand that the world has changed Richmond.

The landscape has changed so much since the 80's that it's almost anti dynasty unless you can fluke so many things aligning.

We now have 6,7,8 more teams since those longed for good old VFL days. Nasty things like drafts, salary caps, soft caps, inequitable fixtures - all these things make it harder to sustain success.

Hawks obviously after this season, Dogs looking dangerous, think Crows will rise in next couple of seasons, still life left in the Swans, GWS and Brisbane.

Gold Coast dripping with talent and plenty more on the way, could they finally click?

Richmond hahaha, are a club that looks to be in real trouble and the Tasmania entry looming to gut a couple of drafts just as they look to rebuild. Winning the Spoon in a year when for the first time ever you can throw a blanket over the top 8-10 draftees. Only get more good picks by letting go their best players. No finals this decade for Tiges!
we built a dynasty team while the draft was gutted in an unprecedented way by GWS and GC...just had to develop an unconventional gameplan...not sure Yze is the guy to repeat Dimma's magic, however!

Nobody as the interstate clubs are dominating the top end of the ladder and they can’t win 3 flags at the MCG.
Good point.

I know richmond are in a rebuild. Tigers will spend 2024-26 out side the top 8. I wont be shocked if the Tigers get another flag by the end of the decade like in 2028 or 2029.

Tigers have a moderate playing list, age wise.

Fremantle have the potential.

Had been their best year in a long time with their losses been about where they should be at this stage:

- three first rounders coming in this year

Young forward line, young midfield, and the backline has the best 4 - 6 years ahead of it.

Hayden Young probably gets missed a bit on the east coast but this kid is an absolute star in the making.

Fyfe and Walters to retire at the end of next year and anything is possible after that, could have a really solid 4 - 8 years ahead of it if it gets the draft, trades right.
I don't think we'll see another non victorian dynasty in most of our lifetimes.

My money would be on Hawthorn or another Geelong one.

If Western Bulldogs change their coach, they could win a couple of flags.
Melbourne have killed their potential dynasty.
Port are too aging at certain points of their list, while having the holy trinity of JHF, Butters and Rozee in the midfield for a decade.
Of the rebuild sides of Adelaide, Hawthorn and North, I can't see any of them.
That then leaves Sydney for me.

GC has a shit ton of talent on their list, but no winning culture, which there needs to be, but could be the dark horse.

If Western Bulldogs change their coach, they could win a couple of flags.
Melbourne have killed their potential dynasty.
Port are too aging at certain points of their list, while having the holy trinity of JHF, Butters and Rozee in the midfield for a decade.
Of the rebuild sides of Adelaide, Hawthorn and North, I can't see any of them.
That then leaves Sydney for me.

GC has a shit ton of talent on their list, but no winning culture, which there needs to be, but could be the dark horse.

Sydney are young enough with most of their good players another failure would start to build a bit of a monkey on their back regardless of who has and hasn’t been there previously especially given how much they looked like they had the flag at their mercy two thirds of the way through this year

Western Bulldogs have no quality defenders for the next decade. Bont, Libba and Treloar are all approaching 30yrs of age.
Their forward line is shaping up to the best in the game but their time has been now and they've blown it.

we built a dynasty team while the draft was gutted in an unprecedented way by GWS and GC...just had to develop an unconventional gameplan...not sure Yze is the guy to repeat Dimma's magic, however!
You built your core players of premiership medal winners well before gold coast and western Sydney came in.

Riewoldt was drafted in 2006 draft, Cotchin and rance came in the 2007 draft. Dusty Martin came into the 2009 draft.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The difference between one premiership and a run of them is generally key forwards. Cats had Hawkins, Hawks had Franklin and Roughead, Tigers won one, blew 2018, then added Lynch for the others. Lions had Lynch and Bradshaw. To further reinforce this, the Dogs couldn't keep Boyd at his 2016 level and he was out of the league 23 games later.

Last edited:
The difference between one premiership and a run of them is generally key forwards. Cats had Hawkins, Hawks had Franklin and Roughead, Tigers won one, blew 2018, then added Lynch for the others. Lions had Lynch and Bradshaw. To further reinforce this, the Dogs couldn't keep Boyd at his 2016 level and he was out of the league 23 games later.
Geelong's weren't that special.

2007: Mooney (new to the role) and N.Ablett (very junior)
2009: Mooney and Hawkins (very junior)
2011: Hawkins (just coming of age) and Podsiadly (decent stop gap)

I'd say Geelong's was built more on an excellent defence and many great midfielders/flankers/utilities. Put Franklin and Roughead in that team and they would've had a shot at sweeping 2007-2013.

You misunderstood me. My fingers are crossed for you. I’m worried what might happen if you don’t get your wish that the cats will plummet down the ladder.
All the best, buddy.

I know champ I switched it back on you in my comment.

Have a great day, make sure to cancel the GF BBQ 👍

Geelong's weren't that special.

2007: Mooney (new to the role) and N.Ablett (very junior)
2009: Mooney and Hawkins (very junior)
2011: Hawkins (just coming of age) and Podsiadly (decent stop gap)

I'd say Geelong's was built more on an excellent defence and many great midfielders/flankers/utilities. Put Franklin and Roughead in that team and they would've had a shot at sweeping 2007-2013.

You guys probably had the best medium sized HF’s overall to make up for that so it worked out. 👍

That you keep contending forever with shitty picks?

Ye good luck with that one buddy, Geelong is finished in 1-2 years once Cameron goes.
We have been saying this for years
“Once Ablett goes”
“Once selwood goes”
“Once Dangerfield goes”
“Once Hawkins goes”

They have a very good talent ID, likely to remain thereabouts and jag a flag every decade or so even if not a “dynasty “

“Once Ablett goes”
“Once selwood goes”
“Once Dangerfield goes”
“Once Hawkins goes”

They have a very good talent ID, likely to remain thereabouts and jag a flag every decade or so even if not a “dynasty “
i agree crankyhawk

“Once Ablett goes”
“Once selwood goes”
“Once Dangerfield goes”
“Once Hawkins goes”

All those players are about to be gone and they've not really replaced many of them with much.

Who takes over from Danger?
Who takes over from Hawkins?
The Selwood hole is there to be seen.

They need to nail the trade period to stay up.

All those players are about to be gone and they've not really replaced many of them with much.

Who takes over from Danger?
Who takes over from Hawkins?
The Selwood hole is there to be seen.

They need to nail the trade period to stay up.
Theyve been very fortunate with injuries to their older brigade which has kept them going for so long.

A lot of B graders but no clear A graders coming through, aside from Holmes who I dont think will get to the level of their stars of previous years

Take out Danger, Jezza and Stewart (all 32+ by round 4 next year) and whats left?

Remove this Banner Ad

Who has the potential to be a dynasty this decade?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back