Who has the potential to be a dynasty this decade?

Remove this Banner Ad

The biggest team to go on a dynasty would be GWS. How there players have developed has been outstanding, with starting being good at 2019 and the team line-up they have now, if they beat the dogs this Sunday afternoon, GWS will be very hard to beat.

Brent Daniels. AA? He has been spectacular and alongside with Jesee Hogan, Tom Green and Whitfield. They are such a young team and have many other gun youngsters, will be so dangerous in the finals.

Runner ups:
Hawthorn (if nothing goes wrong)
North Melbourne (when we know how to win games)

I know champ I switched it back on you in my comment.

Have a great day, make sure to cancel the GF BBQ

Huh? I always have a Grand Final bbq, regardless of who is playing. Why would I cancel it?

I think you’re under the misapprehension that I think the cats will play in the gf this year. I don’t.

Last edited:

All those players are about to be gone and they've not really replaced many of them with much.

Who takes over from Danger?
Who takes over from Hawkins?
The Selwood hole is there to be seen.

They need to nail the trade period to stay up.
That's fair.

Funnily enough I was much more bearish about our future prospects a few years ago and then somehow we won in 2022, whereas this year I'm feeling more optimistic about the future.

So many decent youngsters coming along - Humphries, SDK, Holmes, Dempsey. Hopefully also Conway and Clark. This is not the same Jan Juc retirement village team side of recent years. For the first time in memory it's often the younger players contributing more than the old geezers.

Just by the by, as much as the Hawks are our main rival, I can't deny the admiration and respect I have for them this year, including old mate Samuel Mitchell - he's a gun coach in charge of a great group of young fellas who play the game in an exciting manner.

Western Bulldogs have no quality defenders for the next decade. Bont, Libba and Treloar are all approaching 30yrs of age.
Their forward line is shaping up to the best in the game but their time has been now and they've blown it.
James O’Donnell, Busslinger & Freijah are our defenders of the future with two of those already in the side. Dale & Bramble will be around for another half a decade as well.

All those players are about to be gone and they've not really replaced many of them with much.

Who takes over from Danger?
Who takes over from Hawkins?
The Selwood hole is there to be seen.

They need to nail the trade period to stay up.

We do.
The names there are probably wrong because 2 of them are still playing and one of them is still up in the air as to whether we have or will replace him.
The Hawkins one is interesting at the moment because just in the very short term we’ve been better without him. But that of course is with another elite key forward still in the team

Huh? I always have a Grand Final bbq, regardless of who is playing. Why would I cancel it?

I think you’re under the misapprehension that I think the cats will play in the gf this year. I don’t.

Why do people have this idea that we are preparing to celebrate a GF win or something? I think almost to a man we were probably hoping for around 6-8 on the ladder and even that was just to prove wrong the majority of tipsters who had us languishing around 13-16.

Don’t get me wrong, I’d love to Bradbury our way to a GF or a flag, even a prelim would be nice, but as far as I’m concerned just getting to the top four gives us a free swing at it given what most people expected.

Hawks, Fremantle and GWS have the potential, imo. All have good recruited well balanced sides and all have several young players that have quite of development left in them.

Loving the Hawks v GWS rivalry that’s building, there’s been some great matches between the sides this year. Will be plenty to come.

Hawks look particularly well positioned….Most of their prized draft picks (MacKenzie, Ward, Weddle, Watson) have shown plenty but haven’t really come on yet, at least on a consistent basis.

Fremantle also building very nicely. Key position players looking set. Bolton and Baker could be huge for them to complete the list with a dangerous set of smalls.

Bulldogs could be anything…but…they’re also the bulldogs.

North have some amazing young players but could also end up being like this Carlton side. Not convinced they’ll be a force just yet.

The difference between one premiership and a run of them is generally key forwards. Cats had Hawkins, Hawks had Franklin and Roughead, Tigers won one, blew 2018, then added Lynch for the others. Lions had Lynch and Bradshaw. To further reinforce this, the Dogs couldn't keep Boyd at his 2016 level and he was out of the league 23 games later.
Mid 00s Eagles side couldve been a dynasty, with a forward line featuring Lynch and Hunter. No disrespect to them but it's hard to believe, I've not seen a team carries so hard by its midfield (and defence to a lesser extent) as the Eagles. If all that stuff hadn't happened, I suppose 07 wouldve been tough with Geelong but who knows.

But yeah I guess that holds true for Bulldogs 16, Demons 21 and Magpies 23.

Bulldogs with JUH Darcy and Naughton have the most potential, Darcy is the first player since Buddy era that I have seen and thought he could genuinely be a superstar level player, JUH is not far behind either.

Fremantle and Port midfields are potentially Brisbane, Geelong, Melbourne premiership level (potential nowhere near it now)

The biggest team to go on a dynasty would be GWS. How there players have developed has been outstanding, with starting being good at 2019 and the team line-up they have now, if they beat the dogs this Sunday afternoon, GWS will be very hard to beat.

Brent Daniels. AA? He has been spectacular and alongside with Jesee Hogan, Tom Green and Whitfield. They are such a young team and have many other gun youngsters, will be so dangerous in the finals.

Runner ups:
Hawthorn (if nothing goes wrong)
North Melbourne (when we know how to win games)
I thought they were about to begin a dynasty around 2016 tbh, just did not happen.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Might come along soon if Fremantle get Bolton and Baker
LOL no chance. Bad enough you lot want a late 1st rounder for Liam Baker.

Considering freos draft hand, likely to be picks 9 and 10 and 15-18, thats 3 decent picks along with freos 2025 1st and 2nd rounder you would demand for Shai Bolton.

Hawks, Fremantle and GWS have the potential, imo. All have good recruited well balanced sides and all have several young players that have quite of development left in them.

Loving the Hawks v GWS rivalry that’s building, there’s been some great matches between the sides this year. Will be plenty to come.

Hawks look particularly well positioned….Most of their prized draft picks (MacKenzie, Ward, Weddle, Watson) have shown plenty but haven’t really come on yet, at least on a consistent basis.

Fremantle also building very nicely. Key position players looking set. Bolton and Baker could be huge for them to complete the list with a dangerous set of smalls.

Bulldogs could be anything…but…they’re also the bulldogs.

North have some amazing young players but could also end up being like this Carlton side. Not convinced they’ll be a force just yet.
Bullldogs- if they can keep their list together and their players stay on the straight and narrow.
GWS - if Kingsley can create buy in and shift the organisation from a franchise to a club.
Carlton - if Voss can get the group fully committed to his gameplan that suits the strengths of the team.
North - if they can trade for a gun key forward and key defender. And the juniors all love up to their potential.
Hawks- Barrass will help that backline immensely. A guy like JHF up forward would seal the deal.

Why do people have this idea that we are preparing to celebrate a GF win or something? I think almost to a man we were probably hoping for around 6-8 on the ladder and even that was just to prove wrong the majority of tipsters who had us languishing around 13-16.

Don’t get me wrong, I’d love to Bradbury our way to a GF or a flag, even a prelim would be nice, but as far as I’m concerned just getting to the top four gives us a free swing at it given what most people expected.
Your 81% win loss record since 2009 at your home ground and a coach that has been there over 10 years might have something to do with it.

Did we predict any of the 2000's Dynasties before the event?

Essendon were the team that missed the opportunity in 1999, took all before them in 2000, and appeared as though they were set for a couple of more years.

Next minute - Brisbane.

St. Kilda then looked the most likely, particularly after Geelong missed finals in 2006.

Next minute - Geelong.

Hawthorn won one before their time in 2008, and took 4 more years to reach another Grand Final, where there were upset by Sydney.

Next minute - 3peat for Hawthorn.

And noone would have predicted the long suffering Tigers to do what they did between 2017 and 2020.

So what we can learn from this is 'When you least expect a Dynasty, expect it...' But don't expect to see it coming.

Last edited:

Essendon were the team that missed the opportunity in 1999, took all before them in 2000, and appeared as though they were set for a couple of more years.

Next minute - Brisbane.

St. Kilda then looked the most likely, particularly after Geelong missed finals in 2006.

Next minute - Geelong.

Hawthorn won one before their time in 2008, and took 4 more years to reach another Grand Final, where there were upset by Sydney.

And noone would have predicted the long suffering Tigers to do what they did between 2017 and 2020.

So what we can learn from this is 'When you least expect a Dynasty, expect it...'

All I'm getting from this post is that you think it's Carlton but you're too ashamed to admit it.

Next minute - Brisbane.

Next minute - Geelong.

So what we can learn from this is 'When you least expect a Dynasty, expect it...'
Yup.
Perhaps what we see in hindsight from these great dynasty teams is the string of stars they had in their glory years.

So identifying which clubs have the talent to step up to elite players in the next couple of years will be interesting.

Of the current teams Carlton, Sydney and Footscray are capable. For the other sides, it’s a bit of a crap shoot.

Biggest miss is probably Collingwood with Malthouse getting the shove.

Funny, I though his west coast team should have won more as well
Tough to say. Buckley wanted to build things his way so blew up that team. Obviously convinced the powers that be that that Mick had extracted as much as he could from them before the cliff. Spose we will never know if they would have fallen over if he had have stayed on.

Your 81% win loss record since 2009 at your home ground and a coach that has been there over 10 years might have something to do with it.

These numbers seem to only matter to most people when it suits.
Before round 1 it didn’t matter a shit. Last year and a bunch of birth certificates were the only figures worth anything.

As it stands, you will find it hard to track down a brain-assigned cats fan expecting us to have a realistic say in what happens from here on in.

These numbers seem to only matter to most people when it suits.
Before round 1 it didn’t matter a shit. Last year and a bunch of birth certificates were the only figures worth anything.

As it stands, you will find it hard to track down a brain-assigned cats fan expecting us to have a realistic say in what happens from here on in.
I think you’ll play two finals at least

You built your core players of premiership medal winners well before gold coast and western Sydney came in.

Riewoldt was drafted in 2006 draft, Cotchin and rance came in the 2007 draft. Dusty Martin came into the 2009 draft.
yes, and rock bottom in 2009, just in time for Gold Coast, then GWS, which absolutely destroyed our club, and why we had to win a dynasty with a team of 90% rejects from other clubs and bargain bin rookies, plus those 4 and Edwards from pre-2010.

And let's not even mention that in 2007 we lost pick 1 to Carlton, and in 2009 we lost pick 2 to Melbourne, while our priority pick in that era (Rance) was pick 18..
Still the only team in AFL draft history to finish bottom and not get pick 1, I believe?

And people say us Tiger fans are paranoid...

Remove this Banner Ad

Who has the potential to be a dynasty this decade?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back