Club Legend
Mar 14, 2004
ESSENDON
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
ESSENDON
Gotta love this one!

Friday night sitting at the footy, its 3/4 and Essendon had a reasonably comfortable (so I thought) 28point lead.

My mobile phone rings and its a work colleague who also barracks for the Dons. She rings and tells me that she is stuck sitting in the top deck of the Southern Stand surrounded by Carlton supporters. She tells me that she's loving it though just laughing that Essendon could possibly be in front, and by the looks of it HOME!

I say to her, yeah not bad eh. We kick the first two goals of the last quarter and we're 40pts up, then its CURTAINS!

What happens? Well as we know, Carlton come out on fire and Essendon lay down.

Once Carlton had kicked the first two goals of the last quarter, this woman in the row in front of me turns around and says "You put the MOZZ on us" and goes absolutely nuts at me. Geezus, i don't even know this woman, yet she's taken it upon herself to listen in and remark on a private phone conversation.

Does everyone do this? OR better still, what things such as this have come back to bite you on the bum? :(

well, if i am ever at the game relaying my feelings to my mates back home - i ALWAYS TEXT!

sometimes the game can be so boring that people start focussing on what other people are doing. Buggered if some todger is going to get a brief window in my life.

Thanks for that bit of advice. lol next time my phone rings at the footy I'll tell the person they need to hang up and i'll text them what I have to say, even when it's during half or 3/4 time cause someone could be listening.

I always eavesdrop. Finding out about the lives of the people around me is one of the enjoyable side-effects of going to the footy. I should explain that season ticket holders at Footy Park will sit in the same seats every game (except for members), therefore you get to see the same faces around you at each game. As time gets on I find out more and more about the supporters around us. It's a bit like doing a jigsaw puzzle... with humans. Snippets of conversation and shouted comments and idiosyncratic behaviour can really give insights into the lives of strangers. Am I being perverse?

If she was being serious then she's seriously got some problems.

Although, it definitely was YOUR fault that the Bombers lost on Friday night, who else can you blame?

I may hear other peoples conversations at the footy, but I would never react like that, nor have I had anyone react like that towards me.

Plenty of times I have spoken too soon though.

When I'm at the football, nothing, and I mean NOTHING annoys me more than a stranger having a go at me without me having addressed them directly.

I'm yelling at the umpires. I'm paying out on a player. I'm speaking to nobody in particular.

I'M NOT TALKING TO YOU!!! :mad:

Never listen to other people's conversation's - Unless off course they are shouting it and obviously want to be heard.

I think it is rude and some of those people need to get a life. :rolleyes:

Squarky that is EXACTLY what I am talking about. And yeah the stupid fool was being serious. My friend and I looked at each other in disbelief. I mean far out I thought myself (yep I've jinxed them, and this has been done before), BUT for someone I don't know to abuse me over it. :mad:

Count Zero yeah I think you are a little different there. I go to the footy with my friends. At home games I too see the same people in the same reserved seats. But as for trying to put all the pieces together of their private lives or working out who's who and who's with who etc I couldn't give a toss. Im there for the footy and that's it.

Try to listen to the radio as much as possible.

Too many people in the crowd have got no idea

Had to laugh on Firday night however. Had some idiot Essendon supporter sitting behind me yelling. "Where's Fevola?" "Is Fevola playing?" "Has anyone seen Lance? Left his form in the Wizard cup." "Are Lance or Fevola playing tonight?"

Made for a great last quarter.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I take a small notice, hard not to, but never react to them unless they are talking openly to people around them. i.e. starting up conversations with strangers around them.

Most times I hear people criticising or saying stupid things and just laugh but never openly towards them.

Its hard not to hear what the people around are saying, im partly deaf yet still hear them, but I dont tell them that.

I laugh at people who tell you to shutup when yelling abuse.

i eavesdrop on people all the time - not just at the footy. On buses, trains, in parks, while eating lunch etc,. It's quite an interesting thing to do if your by yourself.

But i'd never actually say anything to them about it unless they were talking about something really really really really interesting. That's just plain rude.

I eavesdrop

I also go around the neighbourhood at night and steal ladies nikkas off their clothesline, and when I get home I go through the lot, hold them against my nose and sniff them, and try and guess how old the owners are

Yze_Magic said:
I eavesdrop

I also go around the neighbourhood at night and steal ladies nikkas off their clothesline, and when I get home I go through the lot, hold them against my nose and sniff them, and try and guess how old the owners are

GOLD!! LMFAO :D

Yze_Magic said:
I eavesdrop

Pfft... big deal... everybody does that!

Yze_Magic said:
I eavesdrop

i watch you do that..

Here's a hint: when you answer your mobile phone in a public place, you don't magically become transported to a private little room when you start talking.

Remove this Banner Ad

who here evesdrops at the footy?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back