Who is happy with what we got for Brent Prismall

Remove this Banner Ad

From the article on the GFC site, and a little grab with Balme I saw on C7, It was basically implied that they backed off from hard negotiations to guarantee Prismall got what he wanted; a spot @ Essendon.

As I mentioned in a previous post, this is not the first time. I remember in the last trading period that King, Gardener & Playfair were basically given away to make certain that they kept playing.

Now I'm not trying to be cold hearted and expecting the club to behave like a$$h01e$, but in the end, Balme, Wells and everyone else who's involved in list management, their primary responsibility is to the Geelong FC. If Essendon really wanted him, and it was clear that they did, then we could of, and should have, pushed a little harder. Essendon wouldn't have wanted to risk not getting him in the PS draft.

Bollocks. Absolute bollocks.

Until we know what exactly is happening inside the trade room, keep the mindless banter to a minimum. Pris had everything, was most likely not going to get a full game in the ones for a year at least. Therefore why not try to get to a club where, when fit, be able to slot straight in.

A lot of people suggest that working hard he could get back into our side, bollocks. He's done so and where has it got him? Lots of uninformed banter from BF and those that think he is no good. That is it. Sure he played a number of games this year, but some still thought he wasn't up to it. Yet now after a trade, Oh my god he is a gun.

Make your mind up people. Where were all of you 3-4 months ago?

I'm surprised we didn't get more for him, a lot of first rounders aren't going to turn out as good as Prismall. Personally if I were another club in need of a fairly young midfielder with decent upside I would have easily offered more than essendon. I doubt we would have got a first round pick, but easily a second.

Clubs are overrating the draft too much, tons of draftees turn out to be trash.

How it plays out, time will tell. But only an extreme optimist would suggest a 39 pick will prove to be a bonus for us. Ask Balmy!

There is no doubt the "Number" is lower than hoped , Balme was dissapointed obviously. However to say only an extreme optimist would ...etc is a bit over the top IMO. I wouldn't call myself a "glass half full" type of guy but I do believe IF this draft is as strong as has been rumoured then I see no reason why 39 can't play us into a postion to pickup a kid capable being a quality player at least as good as BP.

Draft pick numbers vary from year , Selwood , Bartel were picked at 7 , so was Tenace. Not all 7's are the same and depending on the year a pick in the 30's or later can still have talent to pick from. Look at 05. We picked Trent West 31 , Stepehn Owen at 35 and Ryan Gamble at 47. Was Gamble worse than Owen?

Could we get an Owen ? Yes. But we could also have gotten a Thurley even if we had gotten P23 of them. Lets just see what Wells can find and go from there.

It is now just conjecture, BUT if Prissa `had not done his knee, would he have played the GF? Would Kelly have got in? Would Prissa `have realized his worth to our team? Nobody but the selectors can answer these, but IMO, Prissa would have got in before Kelly and we wouldn't be debating this .Not that I don't rate Kelly, but he was clearly UNDERDONE and Prissa was just hitting his straps. Crap timing that knee injury -same injury COLBY had! What I don't get is that maybe he didn't have the self-belief to persevere with us, or maybe he hasn't been appreciated enough , but I hope it is not a huge loss. Wojo has come back well after a reco, as has St. Goddard, and Bradshaw, so the knee is unlikely to be a concern down the track. His skills in the GF may have swung it our way, who knows?

The fact of the matter is at least we got something for him and everybody knows that something is better than nothing.

Would supporters rather he had gone in the PSD and we get sweet FA for him?

Prismall is a good player, but this scenario is no different than when Moloney went to Melbourne....big ****ing deal.

We'll get a high Round 3 draft pick and Wells will hopefully weave some magic.

A lot of people suggest that working hard he could get back into our side, bollocks. He's done so and where has it got him?
He played in the St Kilda game and Bomber and Balmey said he would be used for the other finals, the injury put a cog in the works. He had finally "made it" and got injured and decided to jump ship. Not only that he didn't give the club much to work with by putting all his eggs in Essendons basket. It is not about how good he is and if he is "worth" pick 39; it comes down to principles. He gave Geelong nothing to work with.

He played in the St Kilda game and Bomber and Balmey said he would be used for the other finals, the injury put a cog in the works. He had finally "made it" and got injured and decided to jump ship. Not only that he didn't give the club much to work with by putting all his eggs in Essendons basket. It is not about how good he is and if he is "worth" pick 39; it comes down to principles. He gave Geelong nothing to work with.

Cog in works = good

Spanner in works = bad

Bollocks. Absolute bollocks.

Until we know what exactly is happening inside the trade room, keep the mindless banter to a minimum. Pris had everything, was most likely not going to get a full game in the ones for a year at least. Therefore why not try to get to a club where, when fit, be able to slot straight in.

A lot of people suggest that working hard he could get back into our side, bollocks. He's done so and where has it got him? Lots of uninformed banter from BF and those that think he is no good. That is it. Sure he played a number of games this year, but some still thought he wasn't up to it. Yet now after a trade, Oh my god he is a gun.

Make your mind up people. Where were all of you 3-4 months ago?

In case you missed it, this is a football forum, where virtually every opinion expressed is based on rumour, conjecture, sound bites, press conference cliches and 'yeah-nah' interviews. So we have little choice other than to read between the lines and try to find some truth in the the mountain of cr@p that football clubs dish out.

But of course if you prefer to wait for either Geelong to release a full transcript of the draft negotiations, or maybe for your personal investigator to sift through hours of hidden camera footage, by all means, go right ahead.

You obviously won't mind that we casually check your posts from now on to see that you haven't formed an opinion on anything less than autobiographies; counter biographies + notes; academic journals and statistics with a credible data set and sample size.

Cheers.:rolleyes:

I'm happy. Prismall was overrated and there is no such thing as being owed a game or anything. He couldn't crack the team and looked better in the team because we are/were so good. He'll have his work cut out for him at Essendon.

My only disappointment is that we didn't screw Essendon and get a 2nd Rd pick. I would have liked to see us get a first round pick from Freo. That would have been gold! ;)

I'm also happy we didn't get Lovett.

My preference would have been a Brent Moloney/ Brent Prismall swap. Moloney has more guts and vigour than Prismall and skills are at the same level, that being 2nds players who can top up your senior team from time to time.

There is no doubt the "Number" is lower than hoped , Balme was dissapointed obviously. However to say only an extreme optimist would ...etc is a bit over the top IMO. I wouldn't call myself a "glass half full" type of guy but I do believe IF this draft is as strong as has been rumoured then I see no reason why 39 can't play us into a postion to pickup a kid capable being a quality player at least as good as BP.

Draft pick numbers vary from year , Selwood , Bartel were picked at 7 , so was Tenace. Not all 7's are the same and depending on the year a pick in the 30's or later can still have talent to pick from. Look at 05. We picked Trent West 31 , Stepehn Owen at 35 and Ryan Gamble at 47. Was Gamble worse than Owen?

Could we get an Owen ? Yes. But we could also have gotten a Thurley even if we had gotten P23 of them. Lets just see what Wells can find and go from there.

Bird in the hand etc, Turbo.:)

…………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………..
If ignorance is bliss, why aren't more people happy? Thomas Jefferson

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Said in the Sun today that with 15 mins to go the Bombers asked for our pick 33 + Prismall for Lovett but the cats rejected that deal. I know it said that the Dees and Kangas showed interest but it soesn't sound like an actual offer was made.

For those that are annoyed just have a think about Ryan O'Keefe and the Swans. Sydney wanted a first round pick (and a little more as the Hawks first pick was so low)which is reasonable compensation for a very good proven player. They reportadly has a number of offers and opportunities to trade but nothing was good enough for them. Yet if he decides to walk, the Swans have given up one of their best players for nothing in return.

Said in the Sun today that with 15 mins to go the Bombers asked for our pick 33 + Prismall for Lovett but the cats rejected that deal. I know it said that the Dees and Kangas showed interest but it soesn't sound like an actual offer was made.

I think the Dees thought no deal would be done and they’d get him for nothing. The ‘Lovett’ goss is that, because of our salary cap issues next year, we wanted the Bombers to pay part of the contract amount and they wouldn’t wear it. Understandable! The wash-up - they get Prisa, keep Lovett and we get pick 39. Hmm!:(

I think the Dees thought no deal would be done and they’d get him for nothing. The ‘Lovett’ goss is that, because of our salary cap issues next year, we wanted the Bombers to pay part of the contract amount and they wouldn’t wear it. Understandable! The wash-up - they get Prisa, keep Lovett and we get pick 39. Hmm!:(

But as I said, the Bombers wanted Pris & 33 for Lovett. That my friend is a pretty high price for a bloke who had his head on the chopping blockfor the past month!!

But as I said, the Bombers wanted Pris & 33 for Lovett. That my friend is a pretty high price for a bloke who had his head on the chopping blockfor the past month!!

You know the way these things work, Rosso. That may have been the Bombers ambit proposal – who knows – and I agree it was out of proportion if it’s accurate. But the goss is that the idea of Lovett coming to us was first put to the leadership group and they, on balance, gave it the thumbs up. However, it went nowhere because any deal had to be contingent on the Bombers coughing-up part of his salary for the first year and they wouldn’t wear it. Once they said nyet, no serious consideration was given to Lovett, it became an issue of a 3rd or 2nd round draft pick.

He wanted Essendon for $300K a year, seems to chasing the dollars as much as game time.

Professional footballers have a short career span, good money if you can get it. That's what happens in most other professions you move to where you feel most appreciated. :D I don't see why footy should be any different.

For mine he's not that much moola so it's not big deal as far as I'm concerned. I would not have been happy if Geelong had to fork out that much to keep him. Never-the-less I wish him all the best except when we come up against the bummers of course.

Remove this Banner Ad

Who is happy with what we got for Brent Prismall

Remove this Banner Ad

Back