Who is Hawthorn's biggest threat in 2016?

Hawthorn's greatest foe next year?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm still strongly of the belief that 2015 was a very lazy season. Silly losses, taking forever to wake up in contests, the standard Richmond lapse, and a very dumb loss to Port Adelaide at Etihad, which made things significantly difficult for us. The West Coast final loss was poorly prepared for as confirmed by Clarkson.

I feel we are still ahead of the pack, and have the midfield resources to provide enough opportunity for our forwards.

Whilst the usual suspects can cause us significant grief, the core players are so experienced in all circumstances, that our success in 2016 will be purely an above the shoulders proposition. I believe in the quaddie.

KOLOKOTRONIS

Port, West Coast and Geelong have improved their lists whereas to this point, we appear to be placing our faith in the progression of Howe, Hartung, Langford, JOR, Litherland and Sicily as well as guys like Ceglar and Spangher to play consistent senior footy.

Integrating new blood into the midfield rotations will go a long way in determining if we finish top 4 and give ourselves a chance at a fourth flag.

If Schoey can play consistently well as a forward it will allow Roughie spend more time in the midfield.

Lots of questions but also still plenty of time for us to add to the list.

Freo - if Ross gets a proper forward and uses them
WC - could slide depending on how they cope with the loss
Roos - always so close, but may step up in probably the last chance for a number of players
Swans - need Buddy at 100% or will slide

Others need a massive improvement. Port need Wines and even Wingard to extend their contracts to avoid a season of media speculation.

Cats have risked years of draft picks for a big jump now. But it wont work and Scott will be gone in 2 years.

Richmond cant improve. Adelaide wont improve. Dogs may improve a bit.

Pies will go up a bit and Eddie will be forced to sack FIGJAM to hand a young list to a new coach.

Carlton hopefully improve under Bolton. At least they cant be any worse.

I'm still strongly of the belief that 2015 was a very lazy season. Silly losses, taking forever to wake up in contests, the standard Richmond lapse, and a very dumb loss to Port Adelaide at Etihad, which made things significantly difficult for us. The West Coast final loss was poorly prepared for as confirmed by Clarkson.

I feel we are still ahead of the pack, and have the midfield resources to provide enough opportunity for our forwards.

Whilst the usual suspects can cause us significant grief, the core players are so experienced in all circumstances, that our success in 2016 will be purely an above the shoulders proposition. I believe in the quaddie.

KOLOKOTRONIS

thursday 2 pm deadline is trade week and so far we have been terrible off season….Fake should have played one final season for Fourthorn birthright…..Jed + 38 and 40 for pick 15 is a bad i don't like it just like the grandson trade in 09 when i called it then

thursday 2 pm deadline is trade week and so far we have been terrible off season….Fake should have played one final season for Fourthorn birthright…..Jed + 38 and 40 for pick 15 is a bad i don't like it just like the grandson trade in 09 when i called it then

Yes Kennedy was a huge loss.

There is something about the Anderson and his behaviour which seems irresponsible. Not suggesting he will not be great, I don't want him to be a great now, however just seemed a bit off for mine. Didn't embrace the struggle perhaps. Shoe was a complete dud, however perseverance prevailed.

KOLOKOTRONIS

Absolutely disgusted and it's a disgrace that Carlton are not in this list! SOS didn't pick up four GWS rejects for no bloody reason! Bolton is gonna bolt towards Carlton's 17th Premiership in 2016 and there is nothing you can do about it! And pun intended because you will watch him bolt! Casboult is going to kick 10 against you guys and Marc Murphy will be best on ground. Bryce Gibbs with 15 tackles!

Absolutely disgusted and it's a disgrace that Carlton are not in this list! SOS didn't pick up four GWS rejects for no bloody reason! Bolton is gonna bolt towards Carlton's 17th Premiership in 2016 and there is nothing you can do about it! And pun intended because you will watch him bolt! Casboult is going to kick 10 against you guys and Marc Murphy will be best on ground. Bryce Gibbs with 15 tackles!
I admit, you had me guessing as to whether you were being serious, until I read the very last sentence. Well played.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lol. Aww, that's cute.

Eagles were the last interstate team to beat us in a final. How did that work out for them?

My post was tongue and cheek. I do think we will improve next season though and could be capable of upsetting you in a home and away game.

Freo. No. Ross has thrown his best at us, and it;s just not good enough.
Swans. No. I predict they will slide, and budding problems could upset their apple cart.
West Coast. Don't think they will finish top 4, so no.
Bulldogs. Sorry, they need another season of playing finals.
Geelong. Well they will have a good season, but another year or two before they challenge for a flag.
Collingwood. See Geelong.
Port. They were sleepers last year, and they will be there about this year.
North and Richmond will do well, and play their roles. As we know, that doesn't include a Grand Final.
The rest - not yet.

I find it ironic that we are often referred to as Hawforn on Big Footy, mostly in jest by those who realise how good we are, but don't like to admit it. Well, next year they could be just about right. The correct would be Hawfourorn.:D

My post was tongue and cheek. I do think we will improve next season though and could be capable of upsetting you in a home and away game.
I reckon Collingwood will improve - at least win a bunch more H&A games, but I think you're matched terribly against us, kinda how we do against Poort & Richmond. Your mids will likely all get 40+ possessions but we'll kill you at both ends.

Hawthorn's biggest threat-- Hawthorn itself.
If healthy, they are nearly a certainty for 4 in a row.
Replacing Lake is the only ? I see.
(Hale also. Always a thorn. But ? Fitzpatrick.)
He was a master recruiting move.
Maintaining fit Hodge, Mitchell, Gibson, Burgoyne, that is the threat.

Last edited:
Hawthorn's biggest threat-- Hawthorn itself.
If healthy, they are nearly a certainty for 4 in a row.
Replacing Lake is the only ? I see.
He was a master recruiting move.
Maintaining fit Hodge, Mitchell, Gibson, Burgoyne, that is the threat.
Hale can't be underestimated either. Highly underrated even among Hawks supporters.

Hale can't be underestimated either. Highly underrated even among Hawks supporters.
Agree totally, edited my post, Hale was on my mind too, but Fitzpatrick may have replaced him. Hale was more than nuisance value every time against us.

Last edited:
The weather on Grand Final Day.
What conditions would your team not enjoy or excel in?
If wet & windy, doesn't stop you smashing teams in Tassie. Freo
If hot, you smash the only team this year that could have been a threat. WCE.
The team for all seasons.

I think at our best no one will beat us..
Next year hunger, desire and want will be the key factor to us winning and not any particular team...

Yes, an interesting point. One thing I observed in the after match celebrations from the more senior players was almost the attitude of "another day in the office". I didn't sense the same level of excitement as when we won in 2013 and 2014. Players such as Schoenmakers playing in his first was far more excited than those who were there for the third ort fourth time. We even saw Roughy trying to get our leaders to smile when they were up on the dais.

This, to me, is going to be our biggest hurdle. We already saw early in 2014 shades of not measuring up when opposition teams were lining up to take a crack at the reining back to back champions. This year will be ever harder, especially in view of the fact many of our competitors have genuinely improved their lists, whereas we have not. I still fear the loss of Lake will be a telling factor.

I think we will still be there in September, but something just keeps telling me we will fall short of the line in the final week or two. Only time will tell. Four flags in a row is unheard of, especially in today's football environment ... but then again, we possibly thought a 3-peat was a pipedream as well.

Remove this Banner Ad

Who is Hawthorn's biggest threat in 2016?

Back