Universal Love Who is the best player who has played for the Melbourne Football Club since and including 2000? WINNER: Max Gawn

Who has been the better player for Melbourne?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Better yet, we have two

Wait What Instinct GIF by CBS

I like Petracca but he sure has got further than i thought. Must have been some meh matchups, but now i can't vote against Big David

David Neitz (1993-2008)
Debut: Round 1, 1993
306 games, 631 goals
  • Club record for games captained
  • Club record for games played
  • Club record for goals kicked
  • Club B&F
  • 2x All-Australian
  • 7x leading goal-kicker
  • Coleman Medalist
  • Australian Football Hall of Fame

Christian Petracca (2015-present)
Debut: Round 6, 2016
176* games, 170* goals
  • Premiership player
  • Norm Smith Medalist
  • 4x All-Australian
  • 2x B&F
  • Leading goal-kicker

EDIT (25/11/23): Results:
  • David Neitz: 18 (72%)
  • Christian Petracca: 7 (28%)
David Neitz advances to the final. Christian Petracca has been eliminated.

Grand Final - David Neitz v. Max Gawn
David Neitz (1993-2008)
Debut: Round 1, 1993
306 games, 631 goals
  • Club record for games captained
  • Club record for games played
  • Club record for goals kicked
  • Club B&F
  • 2x All-Australian
  • 7x leading goal-kicker
  • Coleman Medalist
  • Australian Football Hall of Fame

Max Gawn (2010-present)
Debut: Round 11, 2011
203* games, 98* goals
  • Premiership player
  • Club captain
  • 2x B&F
  • 6x All-Australian
  • ALFCA POTY

You'll all be surprised to know that I'm voting for David Neitz.

Most games, most goals, most games captained, not a choker, doesn't do shit podcasts. What a legend.

There was only ever going to one player who could top Neita in this comp for me, and it's Gawn. Premiership captain, 6 x AA, AFLCA POTY and one of the best rucks of all-time.

Neita is a Melbourne great and was a phenomenal captain, but no player has given us the H2H on-field advantage that Max has.

Neitz tops Gawn in some of the intangibles like leadership and attitude, but Gawn comes out on top in on-field performance. Six full seasons for six AAs is ridiculous.

It's easy to be critical after our last two years of finals performances, but I won't be taking Gawn's career for granted, personally.

There was only ever going to one player who could top Neita in this comp for me, and it's Gawn. Premiership captain, 6 x AA, AFLCA POTY and one of the best rucks of all-time.

Neita is a Melbourne great and was a phenomenal captain, but no player has given us the H2H on-field advantage that Max has.

Neitz tops Gawn in some of the intangibles like leadership and attitude, but Gawn comes out on top in on-field performance. Six full seasons for six AAs is ridiculous.

It's easy to be critical after our last two years of finals performances, but I won't be taking Gawn's career for granted, personally.
Neitz is an AA at both ends of the ground and his competition to make AA is a shit load harder than Gawns. Probably the weakest era of rucks of all time currently

Gawn has been massive in alot of our losses but we win 21 still if you swap him and Neitz around. Wouldn't have been a premiership captain if he played in Neitz era

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Its probably Gawn, but I cant vote against Neita. nearly 700 goals when he played as an AA level CHB for the first half of his career. Criminally underrated outside MFC fans. Was every bit the player Richo was and got nowhere near the credit.

...But Neita's beers are better!!

g89l9wd9.png

Neitz is an AA at both ends of the ground and his competition to make AA is a s**t load harder than Gawns. Probably the weakest era of rucks of all time currently

Gawn has been massive in alot of our losses but we win 21 still if you swap him and Neitz around. Wouldn't have been a premiership captain if he played in Neitz era
Not sure I agree with that – Gawn's had Goldstein, Sandilands, Naitanui, Grundy etc to compete with, who were all very good at their peak. Obviously not the best era ever, but still pretty good.

Don't think you're giving quite enough credit to Gawn for 2021 though – not sure we win the flag with Neita at FF and Jackson rucking full-time. Not to mention he won the minor premiership off his own boot and completely dismantled Geelong in the prelim (would've won anyway, but one of the best finals performances ever).

Neita is definitely underrated outside MFC supporters, but realistically, he's a rung below some of the best forwards from his era, whereas Max sits at the top of his.

Always hard to compare players from different times/positions, so can appreciate the arguments from both sides (and don't get me wrong, I bloody love Neita – he gave me some of my most cherished footy memories, plus he's a ripper guy). Think Max will certainly be more revered once he finishes up though.

Not sure I agree with that – Gawn's had Goldstein, Sandilands, Naitanui, Grundy etc to compete with, who were all very good at their peak. Obviously not the best era ever, but still pretty good.

Don't think you're giving quite enough credit to Gawn for 2021 though – not sure we win the flag with Neita at FF and Jackson rucking full-time. Not to mention he won the minor premiership off his own boot and completely dismantled Geelong in the prelim (would've won anyway, but one of the best finals performances ever).

Neita is definitely underrated outside MFC supporters, but realistically, he's a rung below some of the best forwards from his era, whereas Max sits at the top of his.

Always hard to compare players from different times/positions, so can appreciate the arguments from both sides (and don't get me wrong, I bloody love Neita – he gave me some of my most cherished footy memories, plus he's a ripper guy). Think Max will certainly be more revered once he finishes up though.
Goldsteins a good ruck, not a great one at all. Sandilands last AA was 2014 he's not even Gawns era. He's competed with Grundy and Natanui and 2 of them get picked every year anyway. Gawns been #1 no doubt about it but it's a shit era.

Gawn was massive in the finals not arguing, and he kicked a goal after the siren sure. Cost a few close to the siren aswell. He was one of the reasons we lost against Carlton missing easy af shots and then spoiling a goal on our ****ing goal line lol

you look what the two had to work with as well.

Gawn has May, Neita had Alistair ****ing Nicholson AKA Premiership Kryptonite.

both Brayshaw & Viney would be the best mids in Neitz' teams outside Yze who spent plenty of time forward.

The only thing Neitz has over Gawn is that he wasnt coached by a complete flipping moron.

you look what the two had to work with as well.

Gawn has May, Neita had Alistair ******* Nicholson AKA Premiership Kryptonite.

both Brayshaw & Viney would be the best mids in Neitz' teams outside Yze who spent plenty of time forward.

The only thing Neitz has over Gawn is that he wasnt coached by a complete *ing moron.

Still blows my mind how Nicho got games ahead of Chris Lamb.

Nicho was so s**t he was cult hero for me. he was like the s**t Danny devito style twin of Neitz.

He was meme more than a cult hero. Far too shit to receive cult hero status.

Dutchy Holland, Peter Vardy, Nathan Carroll ... cult hereos.

Remove this Banner Ad

Universal Love Who is the best player who has played for the Melbourne Football Club since and including 2000? WINNER: Max Gawn

Back