Who is the best tagger in the comp?

Remove this Banner Ad

Has to be Heath Hocking actually is very good offensively while tagging unlike picken, dempster ect

Edit: Selwood also provides slot offensively. He and hocking are very even both destroyed Judd while having an impact on the game themselves

Rawlings in his prime was possibly the best tagger ever. As far as last year, you're probably right about Ling. Ling was a much better kick too.

How many Brownlow medalists did Rawlings stop in their tracks?

It'd be out of Ling, Rawlings and Cornes.

Considering Rawlings then went on to own it as a small shutdown defender, and made the AA 40 man sqaud last year in that role, its not an outrageous comment at all to make.

A triple best and fairest winner to boot

On the "own" the small defender role, is Rawlings a 4 time AA, triple Premiership playing, dual best and fairest winner like Enright?

Goose.

Like all things in footy, tagging has changed. No longer is it a complete shut down role. Jordan Lewis' job on Juddy in round 22 was the perfect example. Really hurt us the other way.

Because of Big footy rules, I have to nominate a player from my own team. This is a bit different because he doesn't tag week in, week out- Andy Carrazzo. Gets a lot of it himself,sticks to his task and from what I can see from over the fence, is a niggling, yapping absolute prick. Generally pissing off his opponent.

While not consistent at all Crowley has played a couple of the best tagging games i have seen. He kept ablett to 15 and 13 possessions in 2008.

To keep him to under 20 twice is a bloody good effort.

Crowley would be a gun tagger if it were 10 years ago and you could afford to have a pure shutdown tagger in your side. Now it s usuallyguys who can tag and get 20+ possessiona at the same time, i.e. scott selwood

Maybe not 10 years ago, but possies has always been a big thing
Kane Cornes is the best example, he racked 25+ every week, stenglein used to get his 20 odd and of course ling.

I was expecting this thread to be dominated by one player, just not expecting that player to be Scott Selwood.

As a purely shutdown player I don't think you can go past Clint Jones.

Ling probably over the last 5 or so years has done the job extremely well. Scott Selwood and Dempster have stepped it up this year and have both been good.

Have to agree with Mick Crowley has done some ripper tagging jobs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Definitely not the best tagger but Adam Selwood does his job week in week out, points for consistency?

Current: Scott Selwood

Retired: Ling then Kirk....

To the north Melbourne idiot, Rawlings isn't fit to be mention with any of the above players. Seriously deluded.

Saints have a couple of beauts in this department. Clinton Jones can completely shut down a player on his day (see Brent Harvey's 5 possession game on him in 2010), and was even the #1 tagger in the league in 2009. Dempster regularly dominated opponents this year; it seemed like no one could break his tag.

Scott Selwood, Heath Hocking and Nick Smith are some other good ones.

Cornes has been our best for a fair while, but if I was playing I would hate seeing Kirk about 5 years back coming my way, over the last 5 years Ling and now Hocking, these 3 are the heart and soul of their clubs, leaving no stone unturned.

Remove this Banner Ad

Who is the best tagger in the comp?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back