Who is the best tagger in the comp?

Remove this Banner Ad

Probably doesn't tag as much, but if you want a player to shut down someone and still have a big offensive impact you can't go past Kieren Jack.

Nick Smith, Scott Selwood and Heath Hocking the best at the moment for those who do it every week though.

None.
I dont rate taggers.
They are a blight on our great game.
Thats why there isn't a position on the ground for them.
There is a position for rovers,centre men etc but Ive never seen one for Tagger.

Hocking can do his own thing ( ie winning clearances) as well as tag. Scott Selwood is the best tackler, and Nick Smith is probably the best at holding an opponent down.

I'd say Hocking is the most talented player of the 3, But Selwood is the best TAGGER

None.
I dont rate taggers.
They are a blight on our great game.
Thats why there isn't a position on the ground for them.
There is a position for rovers,centre men etc but Ive never seen one for Tagger.

Is that you Judd/Pendles/Swan/Midfielders?

Hocking can do his own thing ( ie winning clearances) as well as tag. Scott Selwood is the best tackler, and Nick Smith is probably the best at holding an opponent down.

I'd say Hocking is the most talented player of the 3, But Selwood is the best TAGGER

Scott Selwood is way more talented than Hocking.

Scott Selwood is way more talented than Hocking.

"The world will end in 2012, bookmark it" - see what I did there?

Its ok to state things definitively, after all you can stake any claim you want.

However, when that claim is simply a claim, with little or no effort at justifying that claim, it reads like a year 7 students exam paper. Lacking in substance, ultimately filling that void with transparent bias.

Please provide a platform for which Selwood is "more talented than Hocking"?

(note: I'm not saying he's not, I think they're both very solid players who can both get much better, I just like reading well thought out assessments, not comments that belong in the Bay )

Surprised Clinton Jones isn't owning this thread. Definitely the best at present IMO.

Has kept Aaron Davey kickless just about the last two times we've played the Saints. Now I know Davey's a pea-heart, but thats still a good effort.

We don't play with a tagger anymore, and I don't pay enough attention to other teams to rate any of them highly.

Picken comes to mind as a good run with player. Ling did a number on Swan in the GF but he'd been dismantled every other time against us in the last few years so it's hard to rate him too highly.

Wellingham for us has done a number on Judd a few times when he's played on him as a run with player but that's not his main caper.

I give up. Who's the best? (mind you it's like winning the coaches award for "best attitude to training at the U14's B&F)

"The world will end in 2012, bookmark it" - see what I did there?

Its ok to state things definitively, after all you can stake any claim you want.

However, when that claim is simply a claim, with little or no effort at justifying that claim, it reads like a year 7 students exam paper. Lacking in substance, ultimately filling that void with transparent bias.

Please provide a platform for which Selwood is "more talented than Hocking"?

(note: I'm not saying he's not, I think they're both very solid players who can both get much better, I just like reading well thought out assessments, not comments that belong in the Bay )

Yeah I shouldn't have made such a blunt statement like that.

I'd say it's even Hocking is the better kick and wins more clearances while Selwood is more athletic and evasive.

This pretty much sums it up, but at age 21 Selwood has a long time to improve on those things.

Yeah both Dempster and Clinton Jones have been great taggers for us in recent years. Dempster is one of the best at shutting an opponent completely out of the game but doesn't do much offensively whereas Jones is more of an offensive tagger like Ling who can also get a bit of the ball himself.

While not consistent at all Crowley has played a couple of the best tagging games i have seen. He kept ablett to 15 and 13 possessions in 2008.

To keep him to under 20 twice is a bloody good effort.

In the first game Crowly smashed GA, but in the second Ablett got injured 5 minutes before half time, and was having no trouble with Ryan.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Surprised at the little amount of love for Clint Jones. IMO better than Scott Selwood

you are right here, jones has developed his game a considerable amount. He is now almost equally effective and now attacks the game winning a large amount of the ball

Egg > Chicken??????????

Judd is getting long in the tooth, carrying two AFL sides over so many years will take its toll at some stage you do realise.;)

Lets not get into the circular debate now. But it would be nice if people don't use tagging Judd out in the month of football where he was beaten by all his opponents as demonstration of their taggers prowess.

Selwood, Jones are probably the best two, Hocking is meh, and if he was really an elite tagger would of been switched to Murphy in the EF when he was cutting Essendon apart.

TBH though I much prefer a Carazzo or Kelly who won't completely stifle an opponent, but will reduce their influence below their own. These guys go head to head with champs and can come out on top. These are run-with players, not taggers.

Im probably biased but I would have to agree with Jones and Dempster. Dempster beat nearly all of his opponents this year, and started taking more of the quality players from Jones. But.. I can't go passed Jones' game when he kept Harvey to 5 disposals. That was just some good old tagging.

From other clubs I would say Selwood too. Great defensively and not bad offensively.

We don't play with a tagger anymore, and I don't pay enough attention to other teams to rate any of them highly.

Picken comes to mind as a good run with player. Ling did a number on Swan in the GF but he'd been dismantled every other time against us in the last few years so it's hard to rate him too highly.

Wellingham for us has done a number on Judd a few times when he's played on him as a run with player but that's not his main caper.

I give up. Who's the best? (mind you it's like winning the coaches award for "best attitude to training at the U14's B&F)

I think there's a fair few teams that don't have full time designated taggers at the moment.

But all teams, including Collingwood, give certain players "tagging" roles, or negating roles on the oppositions best players. For example when a team plays Carlton, whether they use one tagger or three, there is significant work on how to try and negate Judd or Murphy.

Remove this Banner Ad

Who is the best tagger in the comp?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back